One spark only...

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

gereen50
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: One spark only...

Post by gereen50 » Wed May 08, 2013 12:27 pm

Still no joy..I gave the bike to a mechanic and he played with it for a few days. He tried different pick-ups wiring the cdi box directly and 3 different cdi units the only atempt she made to start was with a TDM cdi box but she spluttered and backfired the firing timing was off...on the next attempt to start it again we were back to one spark and nothing...again no changes made...
I've spent most of my life behind bars

gereen50
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by gereen50 » Wed May 22, 2013 12:51 am

Got it sorted ... Turns out the new ignition has less wires than the original. The missing wires carry power to the CDI.

thanks to all for you comments and suggestions.

Ger.
I've spent most of my life behind bars

darkh0rse
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by darkh0rse » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:25 pm

This is an old thread I know but there is no conclusion iv got the same problem running fine then nothing got it home only one spark then nothing on both sides. coils, pickup all within manual tolerance even tried a second hand ignitor box from ebay same result any help would be welcomed.

ac@39
Site Sponsor

Post by ac@39 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:41 pm

Seems this happens a lot.. Have same issue with mine at present. No alarms fitted and all within spec.. Wiring all good. Only difference for me is it is currently hotwired as have no ignition barrel. Get spark only to one side. Swapping wiring and coils still only get one spark at first push of start button then nothing and get nothing on the other side. Has anyone got this figured yet? Is it cdi. Stator or the pick up.. As like others struggling for the answer.
inspired by san miguel

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:27 pm

4 wires from the ignition switch itself.. Red is power into the (key) ignition switch, black is power out of the ignition switch to the fuse box.. :wink: .

The other two smaller striped wires are triggers to the ECU . They have to be joined together otherwise you ECU will get 1 initial spark and then go to earth and no spark .
That's how I got mine running with an after market two pole key ignition switch.
Check out page 11 on my rebuild thread it's explained in there.. :) :)

http://www.trx850.com/phpBB_forum/viewt ... &start=150
If the std 4 pin TRX ignition switch is turned off, this breaks the 2 circuits .(power in/out and ECU earth)
If you try to steal or ho twire without the key, by taking power straight to the fuse box, the two striped wires will earth the ECU and won't start... :wink: because that circuit is broken with the key turned off.

Disconnect your ignition barrel from the main loom at the 4 pin joiner.
Get 2 wires with terminals fitted and join the 2 power wires at the terminal block on the main loom and with the other join the 2 ECU pins to bypass your ignition barrel and you should have power and spark as a test..

Just remember these are 2 different circuits and only 1 curcuit needs power and the other is in fact an earth trigger for the ECU and does not need power from the ignition barrel.
If you try joining the black wire and the 2 striped wires all together and hook that to the red power wire you will get no spark ..
I tried that option too... :lol: :lol: :lol:
laughter is the best medicine

Meak
Site Sponsor

Post by Meak » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:12 pm

My Baby has now fallen foul to the one spark then nothing,,, after a lovely ride with no problems,,,

Can anyone tell me if i am right in thinking,, to check coil primary circuit with a meter,, manual says 3,4 to 4.6 ohms,, so i set the meter to 20 ohms ??

secondary circuit manual says 10.4 to 15.6 ohms meter set to 20k ohms ??

my meter steps up from 200, 2k, 20k, 200k, 2m, 20m, 200m,,,

any help would be great fully received...

Glen

Rich
Site Sponsor

Post by Rich » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:43 pm

if you mean " 10.4 to 15.6 ohms" as K ohms (x1000) then yes you are correct.

With regard to Cobbas post before I would also check the ignition switch and the earth from it as well.

ac@39
Site Sponsor

Post by ac@39 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:13 pm

cobbadiggabuddyblooo

you sir are a star ... we are now up and running.... hell yeah.. am i a happy bunny..best i be putting rad on and down pipes and bring her up to temp to see what leaks :D
inspired by san miguel

Meak
Site Sponsor

Post by Meak » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:43 pm

Thanku for for the reply Rich,,

checked the prim/sec coil, both ok,, plugs changed,, pickup coil checked ok,, off to the gin switch,, next week when I'm off work,,

fingers crossed,,
thanku

Glen