HELP!!! which clutch cable do i need?

Please share your secrets! What mods have you made to your TRX?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

mark1971

HELP!!! which clutch cable do i need?

Post by mark1971 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:31 pm

I've put mid rise renthals on my trx and the clutch cable is now too short. I bought an extended one off ebay but it's about a foot and a half to long. I've read on here that some of you guys with raised bars have used a xj900 cable, which model xj900? old xj900 or diversion models, or are they the same. Any ideas?

Cheers Mark :D

Killerwhale
Site Sponsor

Re: HELP!!! which clutch cable do i need?

Post by Killerwhale » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:47 pm

mark1971 wrote:I've put mid rise renthals on my trx and the clutch cable is now too short. I bought an extended one off ebay but it's about a foot and a half to long. I've read on here that some of you guys with raised bars have used a xj900 cable, which model xj900? old xj900 or diversion models, or are they the same. Any ideas?

Cheers Mark :D
This:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Yamaha-TRX-850-St ... dZViewItem
Tourqe-a-holic

mark1971

Post by mark1971 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:44 pm

thats the one i bought from ebay but it was absolutely massive, would have probably worked if i'd put some raleigh chopper bicycle handlebars on my trx :lol: . I ended up chopping down the outer from it to find out the correct length so i could continue my quest. I need about 42" length which i'm told is xj900 length. streetfighter extended one was about 56" long.

burty
Site Sponsor

Post by burty » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:05 pm

I can't answer your original question, but I do remember posts saying an XJ900 cable was suitable. What about an XJR cable? would that work?

I had mine made up by Venhill cables, http://www.venhill.co.uk/ cost was around £25 I think.

Alternative solution might be to go to your local friendly yamaha dealer and ask if they can match something from stock, that is if the keep stock. I'm not sure I would try that with mine, they always give me the impression that everything is a pain, even when you are just asking for service items.

CULater
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by CULater » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:25 am

Diversion 600 cable

sherlock
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by sherlock » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:02 am

It's the Diversion model @ 115cm (45") v the TRX @ 105cm (41"), as measured on the bikes. Same clutch fitting and considering the production run was about the same, makes sense.

Can anyone remember where the photo is of the fairing bracket extension that appeared a few months ago? Was an aluminium block that both raised and pushed the fairing forward.
elementary my dear.....

Shifty
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Shifty » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:40 am

Its right here m8.
This is how I solved it with help from a German TRX site.

sherlock
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by sherlock » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:21 pm

Cheers Shifty. Don't happen to recall the dimensions you used?
Prefer to have the piece made up prior to dismantling.
What did you come up with where the fairing lowers attach?
elementary my dear.....

Shifty
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Shifty » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:35 am

I dont have the drawings anymore so to give U the right measurments I have to dismantel the thing.
The lower fairing attachments you can see on the picture below.

CULater
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by CULater » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:00 am

Here it is, more pics on trx850.de
(go to tips und Tuning - Tuning - Superbike umbau)

Shifty
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Shifty » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:54 am

Yeah thats the drawing but even if ya enlarge it it weill be not very good to read. Theres even a few dimensions wrong, but you will figure that out.

What I did was draw it over but then on a scale of 1:1 on a piece of A4 paper.

The sec picture of CUlater is the same principle but in now way near as nice as the alloy adapter.

pwmotorsports
TRX-Enthusiast

cables

Post by pwmotorsports » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:14 pm

so the Clutch cable needs to be changed for a divvy one what about brake lines and throttle cable ?

Shifty
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Shifty » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:45 pm

No need to change the throttle cable.
You need to fit the throttlecable on the handlebars before U fit the handlebars tho.
And ya need an extension for the electrical horncable. :S Its to short.
I dont know if U can use the brakelines again since my SBK came with its own brakelines. Braided ones or smmink like that.
:roll:
S10 & TDM850

pwmotorsports
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by pwmotorsports » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:51 pm

Thanks, Going to pop braided on at some point so may aswell do it at the same time i guess.......

thinking i may aswell just drill the top yoke and get a set of £30 risers unless there is a better way without having to buy a whole top yoke conversion?

kebab19
Site Sponsor

Post by kebab19 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:18 pm

I put on a Diversion 600 clutch cable, and re-routed the throttle cables to the RHS of the steering head - I disconnected them @ throttle end and lifted the carbs back to move the cables.

Brake hoses have to be longer to cope with tubular bars' extra height and pullback. Consider if you are fitting Bluespots as some have different mounting points for the brakeline. You could *probably* fit Fazer 600 brake lines if you're skint, but it's a 3 line setup and not as good as braided.

If your lines are braided, and you have bluespots fitted, you will need an R1 / R6 master cylinder and brake lever. Standard M/C will feel horrible - too hard to press lever in, believe me! You will also need to construct a way of holding the M/C in place.

Top yoke - not sure about drilling it - looks a bit flimsy for drillholes - would it be better to weld risers on instead? The thought of one breaking off doesnt bear thinking about! :(
I have an aftermarket top yoke on mine, kindly supplied by BillyBudge, so I'm not in the best position to advise here.

Fairing extension plates - I made my own up using door hinges from B&Q. Just raise fairing 15mm and forward about 30mm. Even so, you will still have to trim your RHS fairing, but only a little if you pick the right bars. I used Renthal Streetfighter 789 bars.

Horn wiring will have to be extended, other wiring is fine with minimal adjustments.

Standard mirrors, which are useless to start with need to be extended MUCH further on the fairing - two or three inches in order to see *anything* behind you.

Must post up a picture of the finished product.... I'll go out to the garage when it stops raining :cry: