Oil filter replacement

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Wombat
Forum Marsupial

Oil filter replacement

Post by Wombat » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:31 am

When changing the oil filter element, do you need to pour a little bit of oil into the filter before fitting it?

The Guzzi's oil filter used to be located within the sump which meant 12 - 16 allen bolts and 2 gaskets, which meant that the filter wasn't changed all that often :oops:

Bob

Waz
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Waz » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:13 am

I never use to. I hear what you saying re the Guzzi, although the time saved setting tappets and replacing plugs and not having to adjust the chain makes up for it compared to the TRX.
Once a TRX lover, always a TRX lover.

Quan-Time
Site Sponsor

Post by Quan-Time » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:14 pm

nah you dont have to.. Altho i do personally put a wipe around the seal.. Basically i dip my finger in the clean oil, wipe it on the filter seal and then put it in after everything has been cleaned..

make sure you dont spill any oil on the ground aswell, the wife goes mental over it.
-------------------
I dont have a sig
-------------------

Wombat
Forum Marsupial

Post by Wombat » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:57 am

Thanx quan and waz, do you need to put anything on the o-rings (grease or oil) or do they go in dry?

Bob

burty
Site Sponsor

Post by burty » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:55 pm

Personally I always soak the oil filter before fitting it. Whether I need to, I don't know, but it's something I've always done with element filters.

youngy

Post by youngy » Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:17 pm

According to tha yamaha manual there is no need to fill it, soak it or lubricate any of the seals.

slow codger
Site Sponsor

Post by slow codger » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:34 pm

:D I have always wiped the new seal with a smidge of oil, helps it settle and seal.

Dave E
An infiltrator from the dark side!

youngy

Post by youngy » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:48 pm

The seal only needs oil if it's on a cartridge filter where the seal is twisted against the housing. It stops the seal tearing as the filter is screwed on. But each to their own.

slow codger
Site Sponsor

Post by slow codger » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:53 pm

:D Agreed, but we all have our own little foibles.

Dave E
An infiltrator from the dark side!

youngy

Post by youngy » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:54 pm

Agreed. We do. :shock:

Wombat
Forum Marsupial

Post by Wombat » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:26 am

In the Haynes manual it says that the oil filter only needs changing every 12,000kms. Mine was changed at 54,000. Bike has now done 60,000k. So by the manual,it doesn't have to be changed again 'til 66,000k. Do you guys change it by mileage or religiously every oil change? I'm a lazy sod and if I don't have to change it for another 6,000k, I won't.

Thanx in advance

Bob

Kevtrx849

Post by Kevtrx849 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:54 am

I change mine every second oil change. So that's 10,000 or 6 months and i've got 2 bikes to do. I'm buying my filters in bulk and getting a good deal. K&N oil filters for $10 each. Anybody want some. Postage is real cheap seeing as how i work for Aus Post :wink:
If everything seems under control
your just not going fast enough.
( HENRY FORD )

Waz
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Waz » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:56 pm

I use to change the filter every 2nd oil change like Kev = 10,000k's
Once a TRX lover, always a TRX lover.

Wombat
Forum Marsupial

Post by Wombat » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:32 am

:roll: Well..................after doing the oil change, now I have an oil leak coming from the oil sump gasket (the join above the little clip that holds the plugged vacuum pipe) Its slow but it starts to pool a little on that recessed ledge near the oil tank drain bolt (which is NOT leaking). I've torqued the bolts up but that doesn't seem to be stemming the leak.

At the moment I'm gonna get some automotive grade sealant (aka gasket goo) and smear it along the join, but I'd say eventually I'll have to get a new sump gasket and replace it.........and joy of joys, what has to happen is that then you have to remove the pipes to access the sump :evil: Poor design, eh?

Bob

Killerwhale
Site Sponsor

Post by Killerwhale » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:54 pm

Wombat wrote::roll: Well..................after doing the oil change, now I have an oil leak coming from the oil sump gasket (the join above the little clip that holds the plugged vacuum pipe) Its slow but it starts to pool a little on that recessed ledge near the oil tank drain bolt (which is NOT leaking). I've torqued the bolts up but that doesn't seem to be stemming the leak.

At the moment I'm gonna get some automotive grade sealant (aka gasket goo) and smear it along the join, but I'd say eventually I'll have to get a new sump gasket and replace it.........and joy of joys, what has to happen is that then you have to remove the pipes to access the sump :evil: Poor design, eh?

Bob
I know the filter was up a couple of times on old forum...REALLY important to criss cross the screws when reinstall cover. Filter CAN be tilted it seems, someone rode his bike with little to no filtering.

Also....you changed your O-rings?? Checked ´em before mounting?