YZF750 rear wheel fitting...

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

trixynut
Site Sponsor

YZF750 rear wheel fitting...

Post by trixynut » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:15 pm

Got myself a YZF750 5.5" rear wheel which came out a FZR600 so already had bearings in to take the smaller wheel spindle.

Slotted it in the swingarm, and it clears everything it should, but I need to know from someone else who'se done this...

Q1: What thickness do the spacers for sprocket side and disc side need to be machined down to?

Q2: The rear caliper needs moving over a bit too, to line up with the disc: needs washers or spacers to go on the bolts, between the swingarm mount and the caliper: how thick do these need to be?

Q3: Looks like the gearbox sprocket will need to move outwards a bit to line the chain up? If so, how much/how thick does this spacer/washer need to be?

I've got a rough idea on all of this from taking some approx measurements myself and by 'eye' but any exact measurements would help.

I've got access to a lathe, so can knock up the bits if I've got the sizes. Otherwise, the whole lot goes off to an engineer shop for measuring and making, which will cost me money!

Also, how accurate do the wheels of a bike need to be lined up? Obviously the nearer the better, but would it hurt if they were, say, 2 or 3 mm adrift?

Ta,

Dave.

philk
Site Sponsor

Re: YZF750 rear wheel fitting...

Post by philk » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:53 pm

trixynut wrote:Got myself a YZF750 5.5" rear wheel which came out a FZR600 so already had bearings in to take the smaller wheel spindle.

Also, how accurate do the wheels of a bike need to be lined up? Obviously the nearer the better, but would it hurt if they were, say, 2 or 3 mm adrift?

Ta,

Dave.
Apparently the alignment of the chain is the most important., the wheels can be out of alignment and make little difference to handling.

I remember the RC30 rear was about 10-15mm out of alignment with the front....so i guess good enough for HRC....

Bearing in mind the original RC30 rim was 5.5 x 18", HRC ran 6.5 X 17" rims in the later days, the offset was for the tyre to clear the arm.

PS did you manage to get that measurement for me?
Last edited by philk on Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
All hail the HYPNO-TOAD

http://r33b.net/

trixynut
Site Sponsor

Post by trixynut » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Phil,

Ta for that.

Forgot about your PM with Xmas an' all, soz mate :oops:

I'll take the measurement tomorrow and post it up here or PM you.

Dave.

honkdawillydahonk
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: YZF750 rear wheel fitting...

Post by honkdawillydahonk » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:55 pm

trixynut wrote:
Q3: Looks like the gearbox sprocket will need to move outwards a bit to line the chain up? If so, how much/how thick does this spacer/washer need to be?
I machined 3.5mm (I think) off the rear sprocket carrier to get the chain run right. Much easier than moving the front sprocket out, and the chain rubber still lines up....
trixynut wrote: Also, how accurate do the wheels of a bike need to be lined up? Obviously the nearer the better, but would it hurt if they were, say, 2 or 3 mm adrift?
When I did mine I used a 1m steel rule and a large vernier. Use the sprocket faces as a datum and you should be able to work it out based on the width of the rims. I reckon you should be less than 1mm ideally.... PM me if you need some help!
NEVER EAT ANYTHING BIGGER THAN YOUR HEAD

trixynut
Site Sponsor

Post by trixynut » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:03 pm

Yzf wheel I've measured to be 210mm wide, through the spindle hole, and the gap between the swing arm is 233mm.

The original two spacers are 14mm and 13mm, so I'm thinking if I machine these down to 11mm each, that will do, but....

...if a slight 'offset' on the wheel is ok, I could machine to, say 10mm and 12mm, with the bigger spacer for the sprocket side, making the chain easier to line up as it's only 1 or 2 mm out....maybe!

Any one have any info or comments, post 'em up, ta!

Dave.

philk
Site Sponsor

Post by philk » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:53 pm

You'll be fine...
basically what was done when the r1 wheel was fitted to mine.

Just make sure the sprockets and chain are in line.
All hail the HYPNO-TOAD

http://r33b.net/