Tyres

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

TomiF
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: Tyres

Post by TomiF » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:50 pm

My vote goes for pilot road 2. They give lots of miles and nice grip both in same package. I did around 10000 km:s this summer and 5 trackdays with those and they aren't finished yet. Well if you are going to do trackdays more then some grippier tyres is recommended ofcourse.

arrivisto
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by arrivisto » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:56 pm

I bought my TRX, in pristine and virtually unused condition, in June 2008, with only 2,500 km on the clock. It had its barely-worn (and by then, very hard) original Michelin MacAdams. I went to France and back on them and had a couple of scary moments, but the tyres were 12 years old, so can't complain!

In 2009, I replaced the Michelins with a set of Diablo Stradas. These were fine and seemed to suit the bike and my style of riding. The rear lasted a year, and the front lasted 2 years. In 2010 I replaced the rear with a Diablo Sport, but I didn't feel any real benefit from the stickier compound tyre, which just wore out faster, lasting 5,250 miles.

In 2011, I replaced both with Diablo Stradas again, and these have been fine. The rear has now done 7,500 miles, and while quite worn and close to the limit, it hasn't "squared off" as such, partly because I try to do as little motorway riding as possible. I expect to do another 1,000 miles before replacing the rear with another Strada, ready for the winter. 8,500 miles isn't bad for a rear tyre. The front is still in very good nick.

In 2103, when I need a new pair again, I'm going to try SuperMaxx Diamonds, as they are good value and seem to have good reviews. If I don't like them, I'll either go back to Diablo Stradas, or perhaps try something different.

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:59 pm

Don`t rule out the Dunlop Roadsmarts either, cracking tyres.
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

Dan 850
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Dan 850 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:53 am

If your doing trackdays pick a set of spare wheels up. I just got some wets on wheels with discs for £122. My road tyres are maxxis diamond, I push hard on them, scratching is easy, and I'm at the edge of the back and have good confidence in them. These still got loads left in them, easily still half the tread, and I've done 4000km on them, some 2 up riding mixed in tho. Or just get part worn track tyres for road use they often come up at £40 a pair and have a few thou km left in them. Just not right at the edges. I used them on my last bike and they was often like brand new, just scuffed up where suspension was set wrong.
Double the fun if your riding twins! Shame her sister doesn't think so.

arrivisto
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by arrivisto » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:47 pm

I couldn't get a new Pirelli Diablo Strada rear to mach the front as they are now discontinued. Instead I was offered a new Pirelli Angel or a Metzeler Sportec M3. I opted for the M3 as it looked good and was nearly £25 cheaper. The shop said the Metzeler was a softer compound than the Strada, so we'll have to wait and see how long it lasts. Apparently Metzeler and Pirelli are the same firm, so perhaps the tyres are more similar than they look.