Strange noise - front wheel

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Dee

Strange noise - front wheel

Post by Dee » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:47 pm

Hello again chaps. I haven't had chance to have a look on this site much recently, thanks to a new job. Fortunately, I'm getting hooked up on the net at home soon (am missing my TRX fix...!).

I have what may seem like a silly question but here goes. I'm getting a strange intermittent noise coming from the front of the bike - I think it's the front wheel, as I only get the noise when moving. It's not mechanical, as the engine is fine.

It's like a plastic bag rustling in the wind - very strange. It's really difficult to establish exactly what it sounds like, as I get a lot of wind roar in my lid but that's what it sounds like.

The blue spots have been taken off, cleaned up and brake pads changed. I've booked the bike in next week to have the bearings changed (I only changed them about 3000 miles ago - could it really be that?) and the discs checked for warping. I've just moved house, so have absolutely no facilities to do any of this myself at the moment.

The question is, have any of you guys experienced a similar thing? If so, what was it??? I'm absolutely sick of getting the bus into work every day, and really want to get back out on the road on the bike! [-o<

trixynut
Site Sponsor

Post by trixynut » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:12 pm

Hi Dee (Hi!)

Check the simple things first:

Is there something stuck under/around the mudguard thats rubbing, or stuck between the brake calipers and discs.

Then check the speedo cable: ride with it disconnected at the wheel end to see if that stops it.

Beyond that......dunno!!

Dave

jpe
Site Sponsor

Post by jpe » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:07 pm

Bearings? Far fetched but could be. Check anything obvious first as trixynut says. Disconnect speedo cable and so on to hear if it stops...
"There is no spoon"

Waz
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Waz » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:28 pm

From memory the front disc's are of the "floating" or semi floating type. This normally will cause a slight "rustling" noise when the brakes are applied (the level of noise is related to how "loose" the pin/bolt on the disc to carrier is. Check that the disc is firm by push/pulling the disc from side to side and see if there is any excess movement between the disc and carrier.
Just a thought.
Once a TRX lover, always a TRX lover.

phuk72
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by phuk72 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:33 am

Are you using sintered brake pads?

dandywarhol
Site Sponsor

Post by dandywarhol » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:53 pm

Check where the speedo cable goes through it's routing "rings"............that can cause a strange "creaking" noise as the suspension moves up and down. silicon spray will sort it.
1996 TRX 850, blue, Ohlins 46HRCLS, Race Tech Gold Valves, 0.90 springs, Venom pipes, R6 brakes............
1974 Yamaha RD250A, Candy Blue
1998 Yamaha SZR660, blue of course
1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, Blue and white

Dee

Post by Dee » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:32 am

phuk72 wrote:Are you using sintered brake pads?
No - I'm using bog standard jobbies and have the original discs.

I've also checked the routing of the speedo cable, and all looks/feels fine, although I will disconnect it to see whether the drive is playing up or not.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. The bike goes to the mechanic on Wednesday so I'll let you know the verdict after that. :?

Dee

Post by Dee » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:32 am

UPDATE: Well, I've found out what's causing the strange noise - it's the speedo drive.

I was riding it to the mechanic in Douglas today, when seemingly the whole front end started creaking! Fortunately, I was going past the TT grandstand at the time so managed to pull in safely. I managed to call out a colleague from work and he offered to drive behind me to the mechanic. The noise had now stopped - and as soon as I rode off I dicovered why - no speedo at all! The bad noise was obviously the speedo drive dying in pain! :oops:

It's now safely installed with the mechanic and I think I need to order a new speedo drive! Bugger! :?

[JP]
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by [JP] » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:26 pm

funny enough I also have a very annoying noise coming from the front wheel...

it's like a flap,flap,flap,flap,flap,flap.... that stops if I press the brakes slightly...

but then if I brake hard....I can hear a ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ, until I release the brakes again..

might be brake pads?
Image PORTUGUESE MADNESS

trixynut
Site Sponsor

Post by trixynut » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:52 pm

Then check the speedo cable: ride with it disconnected at the wheel end to see if that stops it.
Do I get a prize or something....? 8)

Dee

Post by Dee » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:26 pm

trixynut wrote:
Do I get a prize or something....? 8)
*Hands trixynut a virtual pint from the Roadhouse Bar* :occasion5: :wink:

It's FUBAR, according to the mechanic, so a new one is on order. :roll:

phuk72
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by phuk72 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:00 pm

[JP] wrote:funny enough I also have a very annoying noise coming from the front wheel...

it's like a flap,flap,flap,flap,flap,flap.... that stops if I press the brakes slightly...

but then if I brake hard....I can hear a ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ, until I release the brakes again..

might be brake pads?
warped discs for the flap flap noise and sintered pads for the ZZZZZZ

HolerTogni
Site Sponsor

Post by HolerTogni » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:43 am

Hi [JP]!

If your "ZZZZZZZZZ"s are the same as mine, it's the "normal" noise when the brake is on operating temperature.

My CX 500 E does not do it (but its brakes are quite bad - no comparison to the TRX brakes), but some other bikes of my friends also do it.

Late braking greetings from Munich!
Nothing against four cylinders:
TRX 850 & Racetrack-TRiXie :twisted: 8)

Dee

Strange Noise - front wheel...UPDATE

Post by Dee » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:05 pm

I'm back! Yay!

I'm now officially back on the road after getting the speedo drive replaced (after it took 2 sodding weeks for the part to come through...). The mechanic confirmed what I thought, in that the speedo drive had pretty much eaten itself, and the horrid "creaking" noise I heard was the tab washer getting mangled...nice... :? He showed me the mangled parts and the tab washer was surely worthy for inclusion in any chamber of horrors!

One speedo drive and one tab washer later, I'm back, I know exactly how fast I'm going, and I also know when to fill up with petrol - which didn't help me last night after running out of petrol in Kirk Michael... :roll:

Still, all sorted, and thanks to the excessive amount of bike riding yesterday, I've now had my fix!!

And I've also filled up with petrol... :oops:

[JP]
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by [JP] » Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:45 pm

I´ve also found what the noise on mine is..

it´s the brake pads moving and do the click noise/flap... need new brake pads!
Image PORTUGUESE MADNESS