Rear Wheel Alignment Problems

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

marty
TRX-Enthusiast

Rear Wheel Alignment Problems

Post by marty » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:37 am

I've just had a new rear tyre put on the back of my trx. Was fitted professionally by a proper bike shop. After 200 ks the front steering was wobbly. I checked the rear adjustment and the alignment was out of wack. So I fixed it up, rode around the block, about 5k and rechecked and found it had moved again. I thought maybe a spacer was missing as on the left side the swingarm seemed to fall in. The nut is done up very tight and there is 1 spacer there then the bearing inside the rear wheel. Is there only 1 spacer there? am I missing a washer? or does anybody know why the rear wheel is losing its adjustment so quickly. The nut was very tight from the bike shop so Im at a loss. Otherwise im just going to take it back and tell them to fix it.
Cheers Marty

Ridgifumi
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Ridgifumi » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:58 am

best bet take it back to the bastards Marty :wink:
The best way to beat the economic crisis-Just keep buying stuff for ya bikes!

steve speed
Site Sponsor

Post by steve speed » Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:29 pm

download the Manuel and check that you have all your bits in the back wheel ,,hope this helps

Killerwhale
Site Sponsor

Re: Rear Wheel Alignment Problems

Post by Killerwhale » Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:56 pm

marty wrote:I've just had a new rear tyre put on the back of my trx. Was fitted professionally by a proper bike shop. After 200 ks the front steering was wobbly. I checked the rear adjustment and the alignment was out of wack. So I fixed it up, rode around the block, about 5k and rechecked and found it had moved again. I thought maybe a spacer was missing as on the left side the swingarm seemed to fall in. The nut is done up very tight and there is 1 spacer there then the bearing inside the rear wheel. Is there only 1 spacer there? am I missing a washer? or does anybody know why the rear wheel is losing its adjustment so quickly. The nut was very tight from the bike shop so Im at a loss. Otherwise im just going to take it back and tell them to fix it.
117Nm of tourque and your wheel isn´t fixed? Sounds strange, i have a hard time getting the momentum key up to the setting but when there nothing will move it!
Tourqe-a-holic

marty
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by marty » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:49 am

steve speed wrote:download the Manuel and check that you have all your bits in the back wheel ,,hope this helps

Ive got the manual which I checked and everything looks in order.
Cheers Marty

marty
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by marty » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:55 am

Ridgifumi wrote:best bet take it back to the bastards Marty :wink:

Im calling them tomorrow ridgi. I took it to these guys because the mechanic is supposed to be one of the best here in tassie. But he was on holidays. I take it a junior worked on it. THe rear hugger looks bent. I think he put the wrong screws in the wrong spots. It looks fkd. The wheels have a couple of scratches on them which I dont think they were there before. But I cant prove it as I never took much notice before. I paid more at this place coz I their reputation is second to none.
Cheers Marty

ekoja
Site Sponsor

Post by ekoja » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:23 am

I'm a little confused, (a state I'm in frequently) :roll: but if the adjusters are correctly aligned etc then the wheel should not move out of align, or is it twisting on the axle :?: or is it sliding along the axle length :?:

marty
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by marty » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:40 am

ekoja wrote:I'm a little confused, (a state I'm in frequently) :roll: but if the adjusters are correctly aligned etc then the wheel should not move out of align, or is it twisting on the axle :?: or is it sliding along the axle length :?:

on the right hand side of the bike. Where the adjustment is. I adjust the wheel alignment. THen ride about 5ks, where the bolt you lock in on the right there is a gap. So to me, for some reason the gap on the right is opening it up making it go out of alignment. If this makes sense. All I got was a new rear tyre. I talked to the bloke who I bought it off and hes never had a problem. Its like when you pull the rear wheel back to tight the chain. the left side adjustment remains the same, where the right side adjustment seems to be moving backwards. When I went to losen the axle it was extemely tight> so its not as if it is losening up? Im ringing the bike shop anyway to talk to them, Im very diplomatic haha.
Cheers Marty

Red Rex
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Red Rex » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:54 am

You mean to say you only have adjusters ON THE RIGHT HAND SIDE ???? This is WRONG. Wheel axle has adjusters on BOTH sides and both are adjusted at the same to the same settings. Check it out and fix it before you hurt yourself !!!
Rubber side down, Red side up is my preferred riding style.

marty
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by marty » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:06 am

Red Rex wrote:You mean to say you only have adjusters ON THE RIGHT HAND SIDE ???? This is WRONG. Wheel axle has adjusters on BOTH sides and both are adjusted at the same to the same settings. Check it out and fix it before you hurt yourself !!!

there are adjusters on both sides. Its just for some reason on the right hand side seems to be losing adjustment as I ride.
It has confused the absolute fk out of me.
Cheers Marty

ekoja
Site Sponsor

Post by ekoja » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:10 am

Hows your chain tension?

marty
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by marty » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:19 am

ekoja wrote:Hows your chain tension?
chain tension seemed ok. A mate said it maybe a little tight. Thats one reason why I checked it. I DId think about the chain tension but Im not a mechanic. Im just learning now. Its just weird. I cant explain it. Im still leaning towards something like a spacer has been left off the the axle. like the rear wheel is moving side to side.
Cheers Marty

Triton

Post by Triton » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:09 pm

Where are you in Tassie? Send details to mbarnett@jsg.com.au and I'll try to get a "professional" workshop to help.

steve speed
Site Sponsor

Post by steve speed » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:37 pm

if you send me some return tickets i will fix it for free (just kidding ) but good luck every one of us had to start somewhere but you must learn how to do basic maintenance you will enjoy your biking a lot more

Max
Janitor

Post by Max » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:46 pm

I'm wondering if this "really tight" axle nut isn't in fact a buggered thread and isn't actually applying torque to the swingarm.

I did mine last year, had a hell of a time getting it off without ruining the axle and used a temporary nut that was thicker (came off an early seventies CB750...) until I could get a new axle spindle and nut.

Have you taken the nut off and checked the threads? If it's buggered, don't ride it. You're asking for a nasty off if the chain jumps.
Max

(TaZ, tz250w)