Rear Wheel Alignment Problems

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

marty
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by marty » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:52 am

Max wrote:I'm wondering if this "really tight" axle nut isn't in fact a buggered thread and isn't actually applying torque to the swingarm.

I did mine last year, had a hell of a time getting it off without ruining the axle and used a temporary nut that was thicker (came off an early seventies CB750...) until I could get a new axle spindle and nut.

Have you taken the nut off and checked the threads? If it's buggered, don't ride it. You're asking for a nasty off if the chain jumps.
Normally when a nut is biggerd it is hard to turn by hand, its easy then you just tighten it with a socket. I doubt its an axle. Ill find out tomorrow, its going back to the doctor.
Cheers Marty

marty
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by marty » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:49 am

the bikes fixed, I took it back and the head mechanic was back off holidays, He fixed all the adjustments and found nothing wrong at all. All in all the adjustments were up the sht, WHy it changed adjustment while I was riding I dont know. But i felt great on the way home tonight. Thanks to everyone for there imput was very appreciated. Next time I get a new tyre Im going to make sure all the mechanics are on board so they dont have to rush it. Thats what it boiled down to. Ill just keep an eye on the adjustment just in case. Its a relief.
Cheers Marty

Max
Janitor

Post by Max » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:28 am

:scratch:
Max

(TaZ, tz250w)

marty
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by marty » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:04 pm

Max wrote::scratch:

if the chain was adjusted too tight maybe that would pull it out of alignment. Its giving me a headache just thinking about it so Im not thinking about it anymore unless I have too. THe chain was too tight though
Cheers Marty

Max
Janitor

Post by Max » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:20 pm

Could be. But you're lucky if it was and all it did was pull the rear out of line. More often than not it (chain too tight) ruins the output shaft (countershaft) bearing causing all sorts of hell in the transmission.
Max

(TaZ, tz250w)

marty
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by marty » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:31 pm

Max wrote:Could be. But you're lucky if it was and all it did was pull the rear out of line. More often than not it (chain too tight) ruins the output shaft (countershaft) bearing causing all sorts of hell in the transmission.

The mechanic that looked at for me has the best reputation here in tassie, I tolde him what it was doing so he pulled all the axle out and checked all the rear, then spent about about half hour with me explaining all. Most went over my head. the person I bought it off was very paranoid about the enging noise, this mechanic checked it all out, took the oil filter, pulled it apart to check for anything metal. CLean as a whistle.
The chain now is how I bought it. Now Im baack on track.
Cheers Marty

Max
Janitor

Post by Max » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:44 pm

No, didn't mean to scare you. You'd know it if the output shaft bearing went...

Have you downloaded the service manual from the members area btw?
Max

(TaZ, tz250w)

marty
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by marty » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:14 am

Max wrote:No, didn't mean to scare you. You'd know it if the output shaft bearing went...

Have you downloaded the service manual from the members area btw?
Already have a copy on cd. Bought it about a week before you posted it. Or should I say noticed it. Only 20 bucks. over 300 pages. Pity it doesn have part numbers.
Cheers Marty

Triton

Post by Triton » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:04 am

Marty, got your email, glad it's now sorted. The Dealer Principal at Motorworks can be a bit of a misery but basically he's a sound sort of bloke... it may be worth asking the shop to introduce you to him, his name's Larry Eaton.

marty
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by marty » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:16 am

Triton wrote:Marty, got your email, glad it's now sorted. The Dealer Principal at Motorworks can be a bit of a misery but basically he's a sound sort of bloke... it may be worth asking the shop to introduce you to him, his name's Larry Eaton.

I sort of know who larry is. But thanks anyway triton. I'll keep dealing with them because they whole shop is passionate about bikes, They treat you well. Especially their head mechanic.
Cheers Marty

Wombat
Forum Marsupial

Post by Wombat » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:22 am

I was getting something similar to this once..............like Max said, it was the tangs on the axle locking nut were stuffed and losing their tautness. A few kms down the road and the axle nut was loose and the wheel and chain flopping round all over the place. Bought a new axle nut and problem solved

Bob
"The fire is almost out......and there's nothing left to burn!"