radiator

Please share your secrets! What mods have you made to your TRX?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

billy budge
Site Sponsor

radiator

Post by billy budge » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:17 pm

hello all,

im after a mahoosive favour if i may be so bold, and that is the measurements of the standard radiator.
im just after the real basic 3 i think, width/height/thickness please.

Even more ideal would be if someone would be lovely enough to A) have one spare lying around and B) be able to lend it to me for a while and i would pay for postage there and back.

I dont have the bike at the mo as its having alot of new trick electronic things, amongst a whole heap more of trick bits, installed so cant get measurements myself. Im after getting a bespoke and very nice ally one made up so borrowing one would be tops so he could copy all the outlets on it.

many thanks in advance.
speeding?......me?.......with my reputation?

HansJ
Site Sponsor

Re: radiator

Post by HansJ » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:25 pm

ca 32 * 310 * 190, that's the measures of the radiator element itself. The overall width is ca 390 mms.
IQiokW
*** Stalwart of the Sight ***

madivi
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by madivi » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:41 am

Funny to see that other people have your same ideas too.

I'm preparing a naked bike and don't like the radiator being larger than the frame.
You can get the same cooling area by increasing the height (although this may not just be the same: more water passes faster through a shorter cooling path. Hence do we end having yet warmer water?).

I've been looking quite a while on ebay for radiators with 'ideal' sizes: Search of needle in the hay...lots of radiators...nobody thinks measures could matter at all. Then I noticed that radiators vary even more in thikness! Small engines have thin radiators. Is this just because a big engine needs recirculating more water? To thin a 'diameter' would cause much drag? Too little water get's cooled in time, so the lot remains hot?

And how does the thickness then relate to heighth? The whole is completely misterious to me. Got really confused #-o. So I decided that once my project reaches that point I would give it a try and watch temperature...
But your intentions now open a fully new perspective to me! =D> What are you exactly after? Maybe I could need such an alloy made one too...

Let me know [-o<
(My profile is still as stock as my Trixie is, this might change)

billy budge
Site Sponsor

Post by billy budge » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:28 am

Come on all you trx parts hoarders, i know one of you collectors must have a spare rad lying around for little old me to borrow....PLEEEEAAASE!!!!! [-o<

The guy reckons madivi, who makes them for 2 strokes mainly so knows how hot or cold things should run, that once he knows what size i want to go down to can usually make it up in thickness. He makes dual core rad's that are twice as effective, funnily enough, and these keep highly strung race tuned 2 strokes cool on even the hottest of days. Reckons some rads he makes are 40 odd mm thick.

phuk72
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by phuk72 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:11 am

Until about 2 weeks ago i had one gathering dust, so I sold it!

The TRX does not run hot so with decent coolant (and a fan) you should be able to come down in size a fair bit

madivi
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by madivi » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:51 am

billy budge wrote:...that once he knows what size i want to go down to can usually make it up in thickness...
If I'd tell you my wish size and you could have it calculated and seriously estimated at a reasonable price as well as getting it for me, I could borrow you mine.

Ok, lots of conditions :( - but you see I'm not living next door...
(My profile is still as stock as my Trixie is, this might change)

billy budge
Site Sponsor

Post by billy budge » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:24 am

Thats just another poke in the eye from sod's law eh Pete!!! :roll:
Nevermind im sure somebody has one, ta very much for the tip mate. Its all good info i can pass on, he makes them identical for outlets, mounting positions, fan fixing points etc so hopefully it will be quite a compact little beauty if i can drop a fair bit in size.
What coolant do you recommend Pete and where can i get this please buddy, ive only used bog standard stuff until now.

I will see if i can find one over here to borrow first madivi but if i cant get one then i will have to remove mine, dont really want to as it means i cant use the bike for nother few weeks. Let me know sizes though and i can put in a double order and maybe negotiate a deal with him!!

HansJ
Site Sponsor

Post by HansJ » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:49 am

As for coolant, I have tried Watervetter. It's supposed to cool better, and it's not slippery should You get a leak. No anti-freeze though. Not that I noticed much difference in engine temps though. It's at least said to reduce "hotspots", i.e. local extra hot places where the coolant can start to boil.

No chance You could get a radiator that would be more efficient than the standard. I am, as opposed to what Phuk said, having a bit of an over-heating problem. (But when the engine was standard, it was no problems at all...) If Your guy could make something that's more efficient, then I'd be interested as well, depending on costs. Otherwise I have been trying to source a R6 radiator, 2003 model should slot in nicely, and is curved and higher which means more area and better cooling.
IQiokW
*** Stalwart of the Sight ***

phuk72
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by phuk72 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:55 am

Can't remember what it's called but it's yellow

comes in 1litre bottles for about £6 - better than water and anti freeze / coolant home brew

youngy

Post by youngy » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:01 pm

you have pm

billy budge
Site Sponsor

Post by billy budge » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:06 pm

Cheers youngy (my ebay mentor!!!!)

Well Pete think i found something close to what you recommended, ive got a choice of rockoil or putoline to choose from for around 5 quid a litre.
Had a laugh at a product in demon tweeks that claims its twice as wet as water, i know what theyre aiming at but the wordings all wrong...wetter water eh!!! :lol: =D>

Also looking at the samco hose kit for increased cooling effiency but also thinking if the rad is gonna be narrower than stock then the samco hoses will be useless, can you buy pressure tested silicon tubing in those sizes and more importantly where from??

Ta.

slow codger
Site Sponsor

Post by slow codger » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:35 pm

:D Billy, put a search engine in for silicon tubing, or try these

http://www.silex.co.uk/silicone_tubing. ... 1AodTXU_5Q

Dave E
An infiltrator from the dark side!

billy budge
Site Sponsor

Post by billy budge » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:09 am

Thankyou my good man, dont do computers much so you have to bear with me on the tecnicalities pal!! :oops: