jpe's Bumble bee - The collected mods

Please share your secrets! What mods have you made to your TRX?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

jpe70
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: jpe's Bumble bee - The collected mods

Post by jpe70 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:25 pm

Racer-unk wrote:van't wait for you ride it and give some feedback....
I am keen t do the Thunderace swingarm.....will look good
Me neither, unfortunately we still have about 2 months of snowy winter left so will have to wait. I did get the bike on it's wheels today, so at least I'll be able to roll it off the work bench for some photos.

jpe70
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by jpe70 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:49 pm

Damn, that swing arm is massive... :shock:

Today first time off the workbench since September. Slow going, but getting there I think. Today just wanted a couple of pictures and put things back to get a better view of what's left to do.

Exhaust and ThunderAce Swing arm

It's a bit wider so the can comes very close. Not sure if it's enough but I used a spacer on the hanger and shimmed out the carbon clamp something like 8 mm. Still tight but should work for the available travel.

jpe70
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by jpe70 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:25 pm

So, the first engine sprocket didn't want to cooperate with my workshop power tools. No wonder, since it's hardened but another solution was required for nut locking.

So just get the proper sprocket and drill a pair of holes in the nut. Presto!

It's also cleaner in the general area now... :roll:

jpe70
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by jpe70 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:05 pm

Not much going on here. Did get the fork legs serviced and put back in place today. Handlebars finally arrived so I could finish up front end aside from fender.

Handlebars
43 mm clipons from Hong Kong, with raise so I don't move too far down since they now mount below the upper bracket. Stock clutch handle does'nt really fit with this, it angles inward so adjuster screw connects. Thinking about changing to a R6 part, seems to be more parallell to the handlebar.

With forks done I managed to move the bike outside for some pics. It doesn't stand out from a stock bike all that much.

After

Before

renato motocicletta
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by renato motocicletta » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:20 pm

the line exhaust come from England ?

jpe70
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by jpe70 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:26 pm

renato motocicletta wrote:the line exhaust come from England ?
No, it's all Akrapovic.

jpe70
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by jpe70 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:21 pm

Front fender
Tried the stock fender with the new-ish forks but decided agains modifying it for use. It's stock and getting rare and it's not in the best shape. So, simplest solution was to get a matching fender for the legs. That means a white fender for a -02 R6 with slightly modified grommets taking up the difference in fork width from using stock triples.

Head light
Heavy, and un-needed so simply used it as a mould and made a carbon fibre screen with the same shape as the glass. Bent some new metal fittings so it works without modifying the fairing or the stay. Not some vaccumformed "real" carbon part just 3 layers of carbon sheet laminated with epoxi.

Start number is same as used on our Endurance relay racing team last 3 years. 8)

Also tried the riding position today for the first time. Not having ridden a bike since October the bike looks small but feels long between seat and handlebars. New clipons are an inch or so lower than stock and also more straight while foot pegs are still in stock position. Not really awkward but at least felt a little odd, I'll probably move pegs back a bit after first track day. I remember the R1 giving a shorter upper feel.

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:00 am

Looking good.
Bet you can’t wait to go for a ride
laughter is the best medicine

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:07 pm

How wide are the R6 298mm rotors ( centre to centre ) on the R6 wheel compared to the trx wheel and rotors??
Looking at fitting 5 spoke R6 wheel into the thundercat forks which uses a std TRX front wheel.

From memory the R6 disc has no offset so trying to work out if I’ll need to space the discs on the wheel to fit the brake callipers, space the callipers to fit the rotors or machine the callipers which is what I had to do with the XJR1200 magnesium front wheel I was running for a while. The hub was 5mm wider than the trx hub so removed 2.5mm from each calliper at its mounting.
Both wheels ran the same discs.

jpe70
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by jpe70 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:43 pm

Never measured width since I used R6 parts, but I can measure surface to surface on the discs and check offset. I fairly sure you remember correct. If tomorrow won't give me another 11 hour work day I'll see what I can do.

Most odd thing about my setup is that discs and calipers seem to line up decent. Using complete new-ish R6 front wheel, old-ish R6 forks and TRX triples. Last are 5 mm narrower than R6... I'm still waiting for a setback there. 8-[

And yes, would really like to give it a test ride about now. Interesting just to see if it will start... :roll: But weather turned worse again so will have to wait it out atleast the week.

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:32 am

Thanks Jan-Ake ,
Can you please measure from the centre of 1 disc across the hub to the centre of the other disc..
The R6 rims I have are from an 05 model.

Racer-unk
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Racer-unk » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:38 am

I also have 43mm riser bars like yours, but on Suzuki forks. Now I cant even mount the fairing?..... :oops: ..... :idea: ....now I have to make a smart plan.
Will share once I actually get it fitted to my race bike.

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:11 am

What about if you use the left hand clip on and instead of mounting it in front of the tree, you place it on the right upside down behind the tree???
If you have decrease the lock this may stop the bars getting too close to the tank.
Last edited by cobbadiggabuddyblooo on Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

jpe70
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by jpe70 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:45 pm

Racer-unk wrote:I also have 43mm riser bars like yours, but on Suzuki forks. Now I cant even mount the fairing?..... :oops: ..... :idea: ....now I have to make a smart plan.
Will share once I actually get it fitted to my race bike.
No probs at all for me, clutch grazes the fairing bracket if I turn them too far forward but that's all. I should really put the lock stop further out anyway. You have them under or over the upper brace?

Racer-unk
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Racer-unk » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:25 pm

My stops are 10 mm Cap screws inserted into bottom bracket of Suzuki triple clamp. My levers touched way to much for comfort.