rsv swingarm

Please share your secrets! What mods have you made to your TRX?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

coxylaad
Site Sponsor

Re: rsv swingarm

Post by coxylaad » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:18 am

actually its only the front end that I need to get to fit as I am running the aprilia rear wheel.

still sounds like a lot of work. I have the parts, so I will be offering up and seeing just how bad the job is, then I will either do that or go with a YZF one.

ac@39
Site Sponsor

Post by ac@39 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:46 am

front end i have had the trx stem pressed into the rsv yoke, so that all calipers and forks would fit. doing mine with a top yoke conversion though, clutch cable seems ok but may turn out to be a tad short when i get to ride it. i've bodged the trx pull push throttle cables but had to shorten them (for routing i've done)and have had to have some braided lines made up for brakes. im hoping the sensor i have on the rsv brake hanger for the speedo works ok, obviously if you do wheel only you'll lose the speedo
inspired by san miguel

dandywarhol
Site Sponsor

Post by dandywarhol » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:13 am

A TDM clutch cable could be the answer with a top yoke conversion
1996 TRX 850, blue, Ohlins 46HRCLS, Race Tech Gold Valves, 0.90 springs, Venom pipes, R6 brakes............
1974 Yamaha RD250A, Candy Blue
1998 Yamaha SZR660, blue of course
1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, Blue and white

Ragnar
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Ragnar » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:17 pm

http://www.apriliaforum.net/forums/show ... php?t=7761
German aprillia forum. Really difficult To fit the swingten in there as far as i understood...

highlander
Site Sponsor

Post by highlander » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:36 pm

A quick scan and some rusty German skills tells me he removed 7mm from the right side of the swinger to fit into the frame, couldn't take from the left side . Then move the sprocket 4 mm outwards by 'turning' it. I am not sure if he just meant flipped over, I think so. So far so good but then the alignment of the shock mountings was an issue - the fix he is keeping "secret"!
Projection Racing 2-1 with Akropovic hex carbon can, Keihin FCRs @ 150 main, R6 shock conversion, 520 chain conversion, Ignitech ignition, Li-po battery. Further weight reduction & front suspension in progress ....

Killerwhale
Site Sponsor

Post by Killerwhale » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:34 am

highlander wrote:A quick scan and some rusty German skills tells me he removed 7mm from the right side of the swinger to fit into the frame, couldn't take from the left side . Then move the sprocket 4 mm outwards by 'turning' it. I am not sure if he just meant flipped over, I think so. So far so good but then the alignment of the shock mountings was an issue - the fix he is keeping "secret"!
"turning it" i think is it´s made on a lathe....

coxylaad
Site Sponsor

Post by coxylaad » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:31 am

when i say front end I meant the front end of the swingarm, although we are fitting the mille ohlins front end too.

I think an easier job is going to be to fit the mille rear wheel in the YZF swingarm that we have.

SDN
Site Sponsor

Post by SDN » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:47 pm

I agree - is there any advantage other than it would look really trick? If not it's a "coz I can" job and while I admire the bravery and engineering skill, presonally I couldn't justify the efort it would take. But that is just me - do whatever floats your boat

coxylaad
Site Sponsor

Post by coxylaad » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:04 pm

Well looks like we will indeed be going the rsv swingarm route. mainly because we are using the aprilia rear wheel and the spindle is slightly thinner that the thunderace/yzf options we have.

I have more of a handle of what is involved now. I will post any progress.

coxylaad
Site Sponsor

Post by coxylaad » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:52 pm

SDN wrote:I agree - is there any advantage other than it would look really trick? If not it's a "coz I can" job and while I admire the bravery and engineering skill, presonally I couldn't justify the efort it would take. But that is just me - do whatever floats your boat
sorry just seen this.
We are doing it because its the lesser of two evils.We are fitting the Aprilia OZ wheels, and they have a rear axle size that doesnt fit any yamaha setup. We actually bought a thunderace setup to use but decided to persevere with the aprilia one. doing it this way we can port across the rear brake setup also. which again would be more work on the thunderace setup.