Ignitech TCIP4 Ignition Maps

Please share your secrets! What mods have you made to your TRX?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

M.V.
Site Sponsor

Re: Ignitech TCIP4 Ignition Maps

Post by M.V. » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:56 am

dandywarhol wrote:What are your thoughts on using a brake light switch attached to the gear linkage to trigger the quickshifter input?
Another fellow on this forum did it with good results form memory, I can't remember who it was though.

I need to check the cut times I used, I played around with a few, but I think I settled on 100ms...

dandywarhol
Site Sponsor

Post by dandywarhol » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:02 pm

It was coxxy on his 900 conversion :D

1996 TRX 850, blue, Ohlins 46HRCLS, Race Tech Gold Valves, 0.90 springs, Venom pipes, R6 brakes............
1974 Yamaha RD250A, Candy Blue
1998 Yamaha SZR660, blue of course
1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, Blue and white

goose202
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by goose202 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:36 am

Con Rod, what are the details of your bike? I couldn't find where you'd mentioned them. Looking at the file you posted, it's very different to the stock TDM850 curve. All I've done so far is used the profile that came with the unit and set the TPS.

Bruce.

Excalibre
Site Sponsor

Post by Excalibre » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:59 am

Hi all,

I've just installed an Ignitech ignition and quickshifter on my track bike (Thanks Cobba, excellent service).
I won't have the opportunity to experiment with it until my next track day, although I have been impressing the neighbours with some awesome gear changing with the bike on a rear stand :D

Does anyone have any set-up suggestions or are the standard TDM850 settings near enough?

The bike has standard motor internals and the following performance mods:
FCR41's with velocity stacks set-up as per the Sudco instructions.
Large bore 2-into-one exhaust
Non standard coils that came with the bike (not sure what they're off, possibly an SV 650?)
Iridium spark plugs
Electric fuel pump

Cheers
Black '99: Race Tech fork springs/emulators, R6 Shock, FCR41's, Modified airbox with K&N filter, Omrae carbon mufflers, R1 brakes, Toby steering damper, and;
Black '01: unmodified, 100% original, and;
'95 Import: Track Bike - too much to list

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:56 am

Just go with the default map to start and calibrate your TPS.
Theoretically with the cylinders drawing in more fuel/air the more fuel is crammed into the chamber which should burn faster.
Tuned length and scavenging comes into play on your exhaust as these all effect the volumetric efficiency of your motor.
Really the only way to format a map is to meter and dyno work.
Stick to the std 150 main as most of your riding will be WOT.
I think you may have my old Pipemasters 2-1 and flowed really well from 6500-9000.
laughter is the best medicine

Excalibre
Site Sponsor

Post by Excalibre » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:20 am

Thanks Cobba,
I've calibrated the TPS so should be good to go. Yes, it is mostly at WOT.
I think we worked out awhile ago that I've ended up with your old 2-into-1. It does seem to flow well and there aren't any flat spots.
Cheers
cobbadiggabuddyblooo wrote:Just go with the default map to start and calibrate your TPS.
Theoretically with the cylinders drawing in more fuel/air the more fuel is crammed into the chamber which should burn faster.
Tuned length and scavenging comes into play on your exhaust as these all effect the volumetric efficiency of your motor.
Really the only way to format a map is to meter and dyno work.
Stick to the std 150 main as most of your riding will be WOT.
I think you may have my old Pipemasters 2-1 and flowed really well from 6500-9000.
Black '99: Race Tech fork springs/emulators, R6 Shock, FCR41's, Modified airbox with K&N filter, Omrae carbon mufflers, R1 brakes, Toby steering damper, and;
Black '01: unmodified, 100% original, and;
'95 Import: Track Bike - too much to list

goose202
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by goose202 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:59 pm

What I've found interesting is that the standard TDM850 map, while has certainly improved the why the bike rides, has cost 0.5-1 L/100.
I suspect there's a bit to be gained by messing with the maps but I'm not entirely sure where to start apart from just bumping timing across the board by a degree or two at a time.

Tarwetijger
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Tarwetijger » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:01 pm

We're on page 3 of this topic and still no maps. :D
I have some, but they are for the SZR660 with a 5-valve single-cilinder engine.
I did not get my TCIP4 unit working with the SZR at first, so I received different files from Ignitech:

I got it working in the end. And got a file from a guy named Bill with a lot of 660 engine experience.

Even more interesting is to compare the diagram from the original workshop manual.

Unfortunately this is not in the TRX workshop manual. For the TRX I use the normal map that comes with the Ignitech unit.

dandywarhol
Site Sponsor

Post by dandywarhol » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:32 pm

Tarwetijger wrote:We're on page 3 of this topic and still no maps. :D
I have some, but they are for the SZR660 with a 5-valve single-cilinder engine.
I did not get my TCIP4 unit working with the SZR at first, so I received different files from Ignitech:

I got it working in the end. And got a file from a guy named Bill with a lot of 660 engine experience.

Even more interesting is to compare the diagram from the original workshop manual.

Unfortunately this is not in the TRX workshop manual. For the TRX I use the normal map that comes with the Ignitech unit.
Thanks for that. I've been trying to find Bill Jurgenson's map for the Ignitech - he seems to have gone to ground. Is that for a stock or modded 660?
I also have a SZR660. Currently in standard tune but I have a set of Raptor660 carbs for it and a Micron tailpipe. I was thinking of getting a TC1P4 for it, if I go down the route of mild tuning to a spare cylinder head and possibly a reground camshaft.

Is your 660 motor modded?
1996 TRX 850, blue, Ohlins 46HRCLS, Race Tech Gold Valves, 0.90 springs, Venom pipes, R6 brakes............

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:34 am

This map is what i settled on after the first dyno runs. I could see by retarding the whole map by 3 degrees I could gain in the mid range.
I retarded my base map ( not std trx) timing around the 4500rpm and larger 155 main jets ( up from 150) and it tidied up the dip around 4500 and larger mains got me close to 106hp.
I also flattens out from 8000 as previously I kept the curve slowly rising to 34* at 9000.

Tarwetijger
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Tarwetijger » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:14 pm

dandywarhol wrote:
Thanks for that. I've been trying to find Bill Jurgenson's map for the Ignitech - he seems to have gone to ground. Is that for a stock or modded 660?
I also have a SZR660. Currently in standard tune but I have a set of Raptor660 carbs for it and a Micron tailpipe. I was thinking of getting a TC1P4 for it, if I go down the route of mild tuning to a spare cylinder head and possibly a reground camshaft.

I have send some e-mails with him, he seem to have quite some experience. Do you want me to send the .ign map to you? My engine is standard, but because of the strange (low) retard up to 2500tpm with the original ecu, a TCIP4 unit is worthwile evenwith a standard engine.
What is so special about the Raptor carbs? I suppose these are hard to find?
I'm considering these:
http://www.kedo.com/products/30198.html
As I really like the TDMR40 on my TRX.
More SZR talk here:
http://www.trx850.com/phpBB_forum/viewt ... 15#p112928

dandywarhol
Site Sponsor

Post by dandywarhol » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:32 pm

Tarwetijger wrote:
dandywarhol wrote:

I have send some e-mails with him, he seem to have quite some experience. Do you want me to send the .ign map to you? My engine is standard, but because of the strange (low) retard up to 2500tpm with the original ecu, a TCIP4 unit is worthwile evenwith a standard engine.
What is so special about the Raptor carbs? I suppose these are hard to find?
I'm considering these:
http://www.kedo.com/products/30198.html
As I really like the TDMR40 on my TRX.
More SZR talk here:
http://www.trx850.com/phpBB_forum/viewt ... 15#p112928
Yes please to the map.
Let's communicate via PM so not to hi-jack the thread

Con Rod
Site Sponsor

Post by Con Rod » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:18 am

my brother has an SZR, he fitted a TPS and has spent a lot of time developing a map,

I will see if I can get a copy, the only caveat would be that it has been developed to work with a TPS
Paul

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:51 am

This is the map I have for your 600 singles and may be of use to you lads.
It's the timing curves from the SPll units .
Gives you options on various stages of tuning.
Uotani are the blue switchable units from Japan.
There are a couple of economy maps, nominal ( with the std adv curve shown too ) plus 3 stages of Hi comp tuning

Tarwetijger
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Tarwetijger » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:22 am

Interesting, so more advance is for economy and less is for performance in combination with a high compression engine (and maybe other tuning work)?