DIY double LED projector headlight

Please share your secrets! What mods have you made to your TRX?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Tarwetijger
TRX-Enthusiast

DIY double LED projector headlight

Post by Tarwetijger » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:30 pm

In reply to the topic http://www.trx850.com/phpBB_forum/viewt ... 34&t=10740 from Frunkehbohnze, I thought it would be nice to post some picture of the progress I made.
I could not get my hands on a FZR400RR-SP headlight and besides that, I heard that the bulbs are 'weird', so I decided to make my own.
This is the TRX original:

This is how it was on my bike, a FZR600 headlight with xenon and a little parking light above it:

The parts I used:
A FZR600 plastic base with height adjusters, a clear glass from a MUZ Skorpion headlight (actually bought two, because I broke one :oops: ), LED and projectors from Ebay.
I needed a base plate to bolt everything onto, so that was home-made with a plasma cutter.

Put together (a few little pieces of tape to hold the rings in place, these will be gone of course when fitted properly):

and on the bike:

LED rings 'angel eyes' on:

Both low beam + ring on:

It's hard to get the bright light on photos but you get the idea.
The light from the two LEDs (only 20W each) is quite good, better than I expected.
About the same amount of light compared to the xenon bulb (just one) I had.
The cut-off was also very clear, I understood that this could be troublesome as the LEDs don't shine fully 360 degrees around, but all is good! 8)
Both lenses have a little piece of metal that is switched away to achieve high beam. Not tried on the bike yet.

Next thing is to set the wiring up properly and find a place for several LED controllers. :|
I'm also using a couple of relais, to shut one ring light off if the indicators are on, on that side of the bike. (Like Audi's have with their DRL, although I hate those cars :roll: ).

And yes, I know, after all that is finished I REALLY need to was my bike! :o
Last edited by Tarwetijger on Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tarwetijger
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: DIY double LED projector headlight

Post by Tarwetijger » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:44 pm

Found some older pictures.

On the right, FZR600 headlight, also used on FZR1000.
On the left, MUZ Skorpion headlight, made by TRIOM (Italy), also used on the Suzuki GS500 Challenge, with an aftermarket full fairing. And maybe some other bikes.
The FZR light can be separated by heating the unit. For the MUZ unit, this trick did not seem to work. :(
The quality of these units are not that good either, so MUZ riders like to part with it and fit a TRX or FZR unit!

Last edited by Tarwetijger on Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frunkehbohnze
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Frunkehbohnze » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:56 am

Looks great mate! loving the clear glass :) That's pretty much the look I had in mind. Too bad the clear glass seems a bit hard to come by

coxylaad
Site Sponsor

Post by coxylaad » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:30 pm

Excellent work!

do you have a link to the LED kits you used? I am looking at fitting some lights to my Rex as it moves from being track only back onto the roads.
I like the idea of LED's especially after using them on my mountain bike to great effect in the pitch black.

SDN
Site Sponsor

Post by SDN » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:26 am

Great look, looks like a lot of hard work and ingenuity

Tarwetijger
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Tarwetijger » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:25 am

Frunkehbohnze wrote:Looks great mate! loving the clear glass :) That's pretty much the look I had in mind. Too bad the clear glass seems a bit hard to come by
You could use the FZR glass but only one half is clear.
The Muz units are not very strong, the internals tend to break loose. Looking on Muz forums I saw that they often are looking for a TRX or FZR unit because of the better quality.
coxylaad wrote:Excellent work!

do you have a link to the LED kits you used? I am looking at fitting some lights to my Rex as it moves from being track only back onto the roads.
I like the idea of LED's especially after using them on my mountain bike to great effect in the pitch black.
Thanks.
There are loads of LEDs on Ebay. You have to look for the kits that have seperate controllers and cooling devices. I also found it was handy to use a range of lumen to search for, like 1600lm or 2000lm. Beware that they sometimes add up the lm of two bulbs to get impressive numbers like 5000 or 6000.
I bought some items from this one:
http://www.ebay.com/usr/jameslai2011
But please don't take the H1 kit that is on sale right now :lol: as I need another one... It comes straight from China, most of it is allright but I have a bulb of which one half turns off after a while. :(
SDN wrote:Great look, looks like a lot of hard work and ingenuity
Thanks, yes there was some fiddling involved. Still is actually. :D

Tarwetijger
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Tarwetijger » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:10 pm

One more update, as it is finally finished. Because I just wanted this:

things got a bit more complicated.

4 control units for the LEDs, 3 relais, a load of connectors and some wire. It took some evenings to put it all together.

I had a voltage LED indicator laying around for years, I combined it with two lighted buttons (one for LED rings and one for normal light)

Took me another evening. Installed on the bike:

This could be fitted to the bike a little bit better but I'm done, now I just want to ride the bike again. 8-[
Last edited by Tarwetijger on Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

M.V.
Site Sponsor

Post by M.V. » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:44 pm

Looking good mate!

Anyone know of a completely clear front glass that will suit the TRX?

NielsJ
Site Sponsor

Post by NielsJ » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:29 pm

Hi there!

Any chance of re-uploading the pictures for newcomers to see? :^o :D

Trx envy
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Trx envy » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:33 am

NielsJ wrote:Hi there!

Any chance of re-uploading the pictures for newcomers to see? :^o :D
+1 yeah i wouldnt mind seeing the pics either

In any case led bulb replacements have come a long way since this thread. Go halvies with a mate and get these! Image

Tarwetijger
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Tarwetijger » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:26 pm

Ugh yes of course.
It's getting hopeless with online image hosting. #-o :evil: ](*,)