YZF750 Swingarm mod ? S1000RR shock.

Please share your secrets! What mods have you made to your TRX?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Bucko
TRX-Enthusiast

YZF750 Swingarm mod ? S1000RR shock.

Post by Bucko » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:51 pm

Help ! Ive seen a number of threads on here regarding the YZF swingarm mod and cant seem to find a consensus on whats needed to align both wheels and sprockets , is it just an offset front sprocket or is there more involved work to do ? :| Also which linkage is better to use on this coversion, the TRX one or the YZF one , same question regarding the dog bones ? Confused owner Steve !!
Also, ive taken a punt on a bargain S1000RR rear shock with a view to fitting it with an adaptor to the TRX/YZF rear end so any advice on who to contact about n adaptor gratefully received.

schmiffee
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: YZF750 Swingarm mod ? S1000RR shock.

Post by schmiffee » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:29 am

You could try Kayla at Projection Components. She is a member here and has done a few R1/R6 shock adapters...and she live over there as well. Might be a good start and if she can't do it, she might be able to point you in the right direction.
Understeer - when you hit the fence with the front of the bike.
Oversteer - when you hit the fence with the rear of the bike.
Horsepower - how fast you hit the fence.
Torque - how far you take the fence with you.

Bucko
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Bucko » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:37 am

Some bits im gathering for the TRX.
SDC15349.JPG
R1 forks, YZF swingarm, Thunderace wheel, S1000RR shock and MIG carbon cans.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

trixynut
Site Sponsor

Post by trixynut » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:23 am

Bucko,
The YZF swinger is I believe just a TRX one with bracing welded on.
To make the fatter 5.5inch YZF rear rim line up with the TRX front sprocket, look at the thread of mine below:
http://www.trx850.com/phpBB_forum/viewt ... hilit=+yzf
Just a standard dished sprocket, but inverted, should give a straight chain run, but check the measurements on the spacers too, as per the thread which has the alterations you need to make to the TRX spacers to fit and line up the YZF wheel in a TRX swinger.
On the linkages, these are the same apart from the dogbones. The YZF dogbones will give a higher ride height that the standard TRX ones. This coupled with the bigger diameter 180 tyre will raise the rear about 20mm? and I think make a better handling bike, but bear in mind the R1 forks you are gonna fit are I believe shorter than the standard TX ones.
Good luck

Bucko
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Bucko » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:07 pm

That's great , thanks for the advice , do you know anyone who has an R6 shock adaptor for the TRX to measure it and see if the S1000RR shock will fit it ?

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:27 pm

295mm from eye to eye from memory on the r6 shock so about 30mm shorter than the other shock you have so the r6 adaptor is no good. the adaptor is too long.

If your after a bike just as a show piece just throw the yzf rear on . Most don't even notice the off centred rear wheel.
laughter is the best medicine

Bucko
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Bucko » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:50 pm

Thanks but I was just wondering if Projection would make a shorter adaptor , about 35mm , to suit the BMW shock using the existing R6 adaptor.

M.V.
Site Sponsor

Post by M.V. » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:15 am

Bucko wrote:Thanks but I was just wondering if Projection would make a shorter adaptor , about 35mm , to suit the BMW shock using the existing R6 adaptor.
I imagine so, best to PM Kayla or email through the Projection Components website. Let me know how you go, I've got an S1000RR rear shock on the way so I'd probably be up for one also. :D

Bucko
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Bucko » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:26 am

It just needs a longer adaptor as it fits the top mount and linkage bottom mount fine , but whether it will fit the R6 adaptor they already make im not sure , I could do with the dimensions of one , particularly at the bottom where the S1000RR original clevis would sit , if it does it just a 35mm extension I presume ? If its not it may be too costly to make up a one off adaptor , group buy maybe ?

M.V.
Site Sponsor

Post by M.V. » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:46 am

Bucko wrote:It just needs a longer adaptor as it fits the top mount and linkage bottom mount fine , but whether it will fit the R6 adaptor they already make im not sure , I could do with the dimensions of one , particularly at the bottom where the S1000RR original clevis would sit , if it does it just a 35mm extension I presume ? If its not it may be too costly to make up a one off adaptor , group buy maybe ?
http://www.projection-components.co.uk/ ... s-17-p.asp
Please state which model you're buying for (or the length of the shock that is to be replaced). Alternatively, get in touch for more information. As a guide, the adapters can be made to be up to 70mm long, which is enough to increase the R6 shock length to 360mm.
Get in touch with Kayla, sound's like it's easy enough to lengthen.

Kayla
Site Sponsor

Post by Kayla » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:06 pm

He has been in touch, and I haven't replied yet, sorry, because the last question asked needs an hour or so to answer it, then deal with any follow up emails. I need to get the adapter model open in Solidworks, export it to dxf, dimension it and then export that to pdf. Then write an email explaining why the adapter can't be used with a BMW shock on a TRX or 3TJ, but will be perfectly ok on an FZR600R or Thundercat because they use a longer shock, and you can't use longer dogbones to get the ride height back because that alters the ratio (yes, I've tried it). All of which I can't invoice for.

Just because you're breathing, it doesn't mean you're alive.

Bucko
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Bucko » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:45 pm

Thanks for the reply , looks like the BM shock will be going back on the bay !

M.V.
Site Sponsor

Post by M.V. » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:38 am

Kayla wrote:He has been in touch, and I haven't replied yet, sorry, because the last question asked needs an hour or so to answer it, then deal with any follow up emails. I need to get the adapter model open in Solidworks, export it to dxf, dimension it and then export that to pdf. Then write an email explaining why the adapter can't be used with a BMW shock on a TRX or 3TJ, but will be perfectly ok on an FZR600R or Thundercat because they use a longer shock, and you can't use longer dogbones to get the ride height back because that alters the ratio (yes, I've tried it). All of which I can't invoice for.
Thanks for chiming in!

Do you mean the BMW shock won't work in the TRX full stop or just won't work with _that_ adaptor?

(I have a BMW shock sitting on my desk & wouldn't mind getting an adapter made if it will work on the TRX)

Kayla
Site Sponsor

Post by Kayla » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:27 pm

M.V. wrote:
Kayla wrote:He has been in touch, and I haven't replied yet, sorry, because the last question asked needs an hour or so to answer it, then deal with any follow up emails. I need to get the adapter model open in Solidworks, export it to dxf, dimension it and then export that to pdf. Then write an email explaining why the adapter can't be used with a BMW shock on a TRX or 3TJ, but will be perfectly ok on an FZR600R or Thundercat because they use a longer shock, and you can't use longer dogbones to get the ride height back because that alters the ratio (yes, I've tried it). All of which I can't invoice for.
Thanks for chiming in!

Do you mean the BMW shock won't work in the TRX full stop or just won't work with _that_ adaptor?

(I have a BMW shock sitting on my desk & wouldn't mind getting an adapter made if it will work on the TRX)
The adapter fits the shock ok but it (ie the whole assembly) won't work on anything that needs a shock shorter than 355mm (or thereabouts) because it's not safe to remove the amount of material needed to make the BMW shock the correct length due to the fact it (the adapter) was designed to work with a completely different shorter shock.

It would take time and cost (me, or anybody else who fancies it for that matter) money to design and make a prototype that works with the S1000 shock on a TRX. As I don't have easy access to a TRX or 3TJ any more and an S1000 shock (or I'd already have had a go at it and made it work :wink: ) I can't be much more help and nobody's willing to pay for the time and material to develop a prototype or have a go at working it out themselves...

edited (again!) to add- if I sell my 125 and get another 3TJ 4/6 then I'll be able to set about working something out, probably.

Just because you're breathing, it doesn't mean you're alive.

M.V.
Site Sponsor

Post by M.V. » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:09 am

Kayla wrote:
The adapter fits the shock ok but it (ie the whole assembly) won't work on anything that needs a shock shorter than 355mm (or thereabouts) because it's not safe to remove the amount of material needed to make the BMW shock the correct length due to the fact it (the adapter) was designed to work with a completely different shorter shock.

It would take time and cost (me, or anybody else who fancies it for that matter) money to design and make a prototype that works with the S1000 shock on a TRX. As I don't have easy access to a TRX or 3TJ any more and an S1000 shock (or I'd already have had a go at it and made it work :wink: ) I can't be much more help and nobody's willing to pay for the time and material to develop a prototype or have a go at working it out themselves...

edited (again!) to add- if I sell my 125 and get another 3TJ 4/6 then I'll be able to set about working something out, probably.
I see, thanks for taking the time to explain! My backup was to see if I could adapt the BMW shock the VFR track project, so I'll crack on with that short term.