Cafe racer rebuild and restoration.

Please share your secrets! What mods have you made to your TRX?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Trixed
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: Cafe racer rebuild and restoration.

Post by Trixed » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:02 pm

I Have the jw speaker headlight and works really well. Especially with the stupid roos around the place at night.
It is time to rev your hearts!

knumbnutz
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by knumbnutz » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:39 pm

Late last night i finally got to a stage where i could kick the bike over and try to start it.
So after changing the coils to the CBR600 inline coils, adding the FCR and foam, the ignition module, removing the electrical start interlock from the wiring, swapping the TPS to the FCRs and considering i worked on the motor the most astonishing thing happened.
It started first kick and sat there and idled..
I'm not sure how that happened but damn happy it did.
so .... seeing that it seems to be working ok, should i hook up the computer and look /fiddle with the ignition ?
Like a startled bunny in the headlights of life.

A birth certificate shows we were born
A death certificate shows we died
Pictures showed that we lived

SDN
Site Sponsor

Post by SDN » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:28 pm

I would, as when I fitted my Ignitech, it fired up fine and worked, I later found it had an R6 map installed, so not sure how it managed to work!

But you can fiddle to your hearts content

One thing I now have a problem is finding a driver for the lead as computer is now windows 10!!!

dicky
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by dicky » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:14 am

SDN wrote:One thing I now have a problem is finding a driver for the lead as computer is now windows 10!!!
I bought an el-cheapo lead from Jaycar, having left my good lead with proven full RS232 compatibility in HK. (I used it for control of telecom stuff made in the dark ages that needed all pins working correctly)
The el-cheapo lead worked just fine.
I even upgraded to Win 10 and it still works, never even asked for a driver.
All this on a MacBook Air running a Windows bootcamp partition.
dicky
OOOSDC #5

knumbnutz
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by knumbnutz » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:34 am

the lead isnt a problem, we sell them at work and use them for all sorts of electronic connections to our equipment.
Is was more a case of not wanting to touch what doesnt seem to be broken - especially when i am not familiar with it.

Wet day today and i'll skip work later after lunch and finish the wiring i hope. Tomorrow is fine and sunny i believe so if its all running right, it might get a zip around the block and go for a RWC later this week.

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:53 am

Send me your e mail address Neil and I'll send you a file that shows basics like how to find connection ,read, verify and reprogram.
How to check basics functions and change things like rev limiter and turn on and simple calibration of the TPS with photos to make it a no stress introduction to navigating your way around the program.

Once the TPS is operating..
That opens the timing settings from a basic 10 point curve over the rev range to a 100 point 3D map that allows timing adjustments in correlation with your TPS percentages.
Even a digital numpty like me has grasped it pretty easily.. :) :)

The std map with the TPS activated is pretty safe and gives a little more response but you can sneak in a little more advance here and there because your running FCR's in the lower and midrange at a few points to tune out that little hesitation here and there.

The section that reads the ohmage on the coils for the dwell is set on auto in default so it will read the 1-1.5ohm on the COP set up and adjust accordingly so no stress there mate.

As for the R6 program, I actually used that curve as a 1 of the base curves as a comparission on a dyno run. It gave me a good idea on where I needed to go to find a basic safe map to suit the Arias pistons/ kent cams ( 32* is the Max advance over 6500rpm you can go with the Arias pistons at WOT just like on the R6)
laughter is the best medicine

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:08 am

As for the drivers, the ones I had installed from IGNITECH run fine on my new Windows 10 laptop too.
They are the exact same drivers that came with my $5 lead from eBay.
The problem I had when my windows 7 laptop died a month ago and I Couldn't get things running on my old XP Ibm laptop or my new one was by chance the RS232 lead died exactly the same time as my old laptop.
1000 to 1 chance that would happen well maybe lower odds being a cheaper lead ,,,but Murphy's law .. :lol: :lol:
Bought a new lead ( plus a spare) and up and running again fine on Windows 10.
It will read previous and save maps on word notebook which comes Std on Windows 10 so no need to buy office 365... :wink:
laughter is the best medicine

knumbnutz
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by knumbnutz » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:35 pm

Done. Going for a RWC and Rego today

davamb
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by davamb » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:11 am

Good luck!
Ride Well!
Cheers, Dave.

SDN
Site Sponsor

Post by SDN » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:38 am

Have Fun!

knumbnutz
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by knumbnutz » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:47 am

Last edited by dicky on Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed your link to youtube

SDN
Site Sponsor

Post by SDN » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:47 am

Nice work - guessing it's winter in Oz? Probably better than our so called summer - cane it like you stole it!#6

knumbnutz
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by knumbnutz » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:52 am

Youre going to hate me for telling you this. Winter here is stunning weather for riding. Saturday/Sunday cold start 11degC, no clouds, warmed up to 26degC~ in the middle of the day, dry no humidity.
Its been like this for 2 weeks and will continue for a couple of months with the odd day of rain. When it rains in winter its using a lot warmer over night, maybe 14-15degC and 20degC during the day.
Truly, i don't think there is a nicer place to ride during "Winter" . Summer from Nov - March is a tad warm -32DegC and storms in the afternoon, but mountains are cool so during summer we just go to the mountains which we would be doing anyhow, and the temp is 5degC cooler and quite nice and usually dry.

SDN wrote:Nice work - guessing it's winter in Oz? Probably better than our so called summer - cane it like you stole it!#6
I will do as advised !

I tried to take a video of the bike running, but the phone sounds fuk't TBH, i am working on an alternate audio source.

SDN
Site Sponsor

Post by SDN » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:56 pm

knumbnutz wrote:Youre going to hate me for telling you this. Winter here is stunning weather for riding. Saturday/Sunday cold start 11degC, no clouds, warmed up to 26degC~ in the middle of the day, dry no humidity.
Its been like this for 2 weeks and will continue for a couple of months with the odd day of rain. When it rains in winter its using a lot warmer over night, maybe 14-15degC and 20degC during the day.
Truly, i don't think there is a nicer place to ride during "Winter" . Summer from Nov - March is a tad warm -32DegC and storms in the afternoon, but mountains are cool so during summer we just go to the mountains which we would be doing anyhow, and the temp is 5degC cooler and quite nice and usually dry.

SDN wrote:Nice work - guessing it's winter in Oz? Probably better than our so called summer - cane it like you stole it!#6
I will do as advised !

LOL :-) :-) :-) Its bloody frezing here! and to add insult to injury got my leg busted up attaining my 2nd Dan - Mrs Noon not at all amused

I tried to take a video of the bike running, but the phone sounds fuk't TBH, i am working on an alternate audio source.

knumbnutz
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by knumbnutz » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:38 am

bugger, all the best for a recovery on the knee