Lockable storage mod - has anyone tried this?

Please share your secrets! What mods have you made to your TRX?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

cameronjung
TRX-Enthusiast

Lockable storage mod - has anyone tried this?

Post by cameronjung » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:23 am

I was wondering if anyone else had considered using the mounting hardware from the pillion seat to attach a lockable steel box or briefcase to the back of the bike?
I want to have a go at this myself and was wondering if anyone had a spare rear seat lying around they could sell me cheap?
I figure it would be an easy way to quickly and easily mount light luggage on the bike without having to worry about leaving it on the bike for short periods (like rest stops). Modification to the bike itself would be non existent and wouldn't have an ugly rack sticking out like dogs balls when not in use. The box would simply click down on the back of the bike where the pillion would usually sit and disconnect with the key in the same way.
Thoughts?

Kevtrx849

Re: Lockable storage mod - has anyone tried this?

Post by Kevtrx849 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:52 am

BobTRX in Vic has done this quite successfully .Search through his posts or pm him and you will get all the details. He may have to reload the pics though.
P.S. i thought you were selling up.
If everything seems under control
your just not going fast enough.
( HENRY FORD )

cameronjung
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by cameronjung » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:10 pm

Thanks mate. I was toying with the idea of selling my trx due to cash-flow issues but I really don't think I would get enough for it to warrant giving it up. I get so attached to my toys. I've been meaning to apologize for messing you about with those carbs too. I still want to get myself a spare but as I mentioned money is really tight at the moment. Picked up a nail last week so that had to be repaired today as well. I reckon u gotta be pretty unlucky to get a nail in a bike tyre but I'm hardly surprised it was me who managed to.

Rod.s
Site Sponsor

Post by Rod.s » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:16 pm

cameronjung wrote:Thanks mate. I was toying with the idea of selling my trx due to cash-flow issues but I really don't think I would get enough for it to warrant giving it up. I get so attached to my toys. I've been meaning to apologize for messing you about with those carbs too. I still want to get myself a spare but as I mentioned money is really tight at the moment. Picked up a nail last week so that had to be repaired today as well. I reckon u gotta be pretty unlucky to get a nail in a bike tyre but I'm hardly surprised it was me who managed to.
I sold my CBR1000 as it was a nail magnet 5 in 6 months :shock:
If it's not made in China, it's a fake!

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:38 pm

Because I run soft, sticky tyres on the Skorpion that`s a bugger for picking up nails too. I`ll fit a tube if a tyre`s punctured beyond the repair margin but still got plenty of meat on it, you only have to break one bead to fit it too. :wink:
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

Red Rex
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Red Rex » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:39 pm

Understand your logic about de-mountable box using the seat pad catch and lock mechanism ... but won't it leave your bike kinda open to the elements and prying fingers when you've wandered off with your box of goodies ??
... or do you mean to have a Chubb safe 'permanently' fitted in place of the seat pad so you can leave more stuff than you can get into the quite spacious underseat stoarage already ??
Just interested :?
Rubber side down, Red side up is my preferred riding style.

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:51 pm

No you mount a `bracket` of sorts in place of the rear seat, the box then locates on the bracket a bit like the Givi stuff that clips on and off. Of course it means your box or whatever you want to utilise must have the hardware attached to it to enable it to be clipped on.
When you remove the box the mock seat base and bracket remains in place and your storage area is still secure. :wink:
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

cameronjung
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by cameronjung » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:56 pm

Actually what I was thinking was that the box clipped in instead of the rear seat, so yes once the box was removed there would be the usual 'hole' but who's to say you can't have the regular seat somewhere in the box to switch when the box is removed. The underseat storage is pretty good already yes, but I was thinking more for touring. I like to take my bikes on long rides and overnight trips. With a few bungee cords and my Ventura rack I can fit my tent, sleeping bag, gas cooker, camera and extra lens or two as well as food and clothes on my trx, but obviously I'd rather something that is a bit more secure for the camera. I wouldn't go leaving it on the bike all day while I went to the beach, but at least it would be enough of a deterrent to park at a service station while I got something to eat.

Kevtrx849

Post by Kevtrx849 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:47 pm

cameronjung wrote: Picked up a nail last week so that had to be repaired today as well. I reckon u gotta be pretty unlucky to get a nail in a bike tyre but I'm hardly surprised it was me who managed to.
I only ever seem to get punctures when i fit new tyres. Got a good repair kit under my seat and had to use it twice so far.
If everything seems under control
your just not going fast enough.
( HENRY FORD )

ekoja
Site Sponsor

Post by ekoja » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:52 pm

Kevtrx849 wrote:
cameronjung wrote: Picked up a nail last week so that had to be repaired today as well. I reckon u gotta be pretty unlucky to get a nail in a bike tyre but I'm hardly surprised it was me who managed to.
I only ever seem to get punctures when i fit new tyres. Got a good repair kit under my seat and had to use it twice so far.

Hi Kev!
I remember you mentioned once where to get replacement gas bottles????? But I forgot.

fung
Site Sponsor

Post by fung » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:08 am

bicycle shops carry them
I WOULD RATHER WEAR OUT THAN RUST

rbaron25
Site Sponsor

Post by rbaron25 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:37 am

Rod refills them himself.....
from his rear end :shock: :shock: :D :D :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8-[
I didn't see you...
Cause you didn't bloody look!

Slowberry
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Slowberry » Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:51 pm

Found this thread while looking for topbox racks. Also found this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255008947986 ... SwnmtgdBSm