Another TRX - Suggestions?

General Discussion Forum for TRX Enthusiasts...

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

andrewo
TRX-Enthusiast

Another TRX - Suggestions?

Post by andrewo » Fri May 03, 2019 11:30 am

I just bought a TRX parts bike (I was only after the wheels and a few body parts) but got the whole thing cheap and almost complete. PO was advertising it as having burnt exhaust valves and the head is off it, but from the quick stocktake I've done, its only missing the carbs (of which I have a spare set) and has a busted fairing (of which I also have a good spare). By the look of it, its probably best described as a bit tatty, but being almost complete, I'm thinking of stripping it, cleaning up the bits I wanted to use for my other TRX (I wanted to redo the paint on it, hence wanting body parts) and then maybe swap everything over, but it all comes down to the engine.

Whats the recommendation for the engine, as PO says the bottom end is OK, so I don't want to strip it completely if I don't have to, but what would I expect to need to do, considering the bike has done 70,000 k's?

Andrew

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Re: Another TRX - Suggestions?

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Fri May 03, 2019 12:06 pm

If it’s pre 97 motor, there’s a good chance it’s just the inlet valves that need replacing.
Replace the inlets and valve guide seals plus inlet / carb rubbers.
If the old head gasket is there you can clean it up and re use it. Just use Hylomar blue to seal either side of the 2 outer spring sheets of the MLS gasket.
If you want to bump up the compression to just shy of 11:1 remove the centre shim from the head gasket.
Good chance you’ll be able to re use the cam cover gasket.
100,000km is easily obtainable from the cam chain so you can save another $100 there too.
Plonk it all together and start it up.
Your only outplaying a couple of $100 and if all good , you have a spare motor.
If the crank is stuffed , you got a good head and engine cases to re coup your losses.
laughter is the best medicine

andrewo
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by andrewo » Mon May 06, 2019 11:36 am

Thanks Cobba, I'll take that advice and see how it comes up. It's a '98 model so might have to do a bit of research on the differences with earlier models.

dicky
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by dicky » Mon May 06, 2019 11:47 am

All TRX's are the same, except for first shipment ones that had soft valves. '98 delivery would have the new valves.
There are no changes between years other than paint and stickers.
dicky
OOOSDC #5

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Mon May 06, 2019 11:52 am

No diiference Andrew.
Apart from the revised inlet valves on 95-96 they are all one and the same.
The 95 onwards 270* crank TDM 850 has a shorter first gear and apart from 1st gear everything else is the same as the trx including the revised inlet valves too.
laughter is the best medicine

andrewo
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by andrewo » Fri May 24, 2019 12:28 pm

Thanks for that. I'm in the middle of a shed re-organise now that I've got a mezzanine, so hopefully I'll get a spot for the 2nd TRX sorted and check it right out. Too many projects and not enough time, as it looks like I might be getting my hands on a VTR1000 SP1 next week if all goes well, mainly cause I just want one and its cheap (ish)