Newby valve clearance adjustment

General Discussion Forum for TRX Enthusiasts...

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

voreng
TRX-Enthusiast

Newby valve clearance adjustment

Post by voreng » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:13 pm

Hi Guys,
I recently bought a nice 1999 TRX with 68K kilometres one owner, using it for a couple of thousand "K" to travel to work, it is the first small bike I have ever owned and is a shed load of fun in the twisty stuff, lot less torque than the ol MT-01 but handles like on rails :D
Question is: I don't think the valve clearance has ever been done and I have a couple of very rattly lifters - fairly clanky when warm.
should I plan to do the lot ? cam chain change and adjuster as well as reshim the whole thing, not a problem as I am a mechanic with a Haynes workshop manual, just like some guide lines, does the TRX engine go to 100K kilometres OK? mine uses no oil and pulls well, just rattly, bike is in fantastic condition for its age, really like to hear some good advice from a long term owner who has done all this stuff, by the way, only done a couple of thousand K's on it but it is staying with me, it is awesome and the sound from the Yoshi's is aural sex.
Wish I bought one years ago, cheers Steve

Snod Blatter
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: Newby valve clearance adjustment

Post by Snod Blatter » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:41 pm

I just shimmed mine, at 40K miles (so quite similar) the tensioner didn't seem to be out much more than with a new chain and if you factor in the wear on the tensioner blades then a new chain would probably seem very similar indeed. No need to replace the tensioner as far as I know but I've never understood why people do that.
'95 4NX with K&N filter, Motad Venom cans, YSS PD valves, Ohlins fork springs, 530 C+S, Green CDI, 11/16 radial master cylinder, +30mm jack up dog bones. Enjoyable money pit.

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:47 am

Just do it. :wink: Only takes a couple of hrs.
Replace the chain while at it , remove the resistors from the plug caps and put in a 20mm brass spacer.
Be mindful there is a spring in there too when you unscrew things. Next replace the plug leads with a 7mm copper core lead and they simply screw into the coils and plug caps.
Check the air cut off valve cover on the exposed side of the carby as they perish in the sun over years.
Cut off valve cover $16
Cam chain around $100
Copper core lead
Oil and filter
Replacement shims if needed
2. X plugs
You can re use the cam cover gasket but order and cam chain adjuster gasket because it’s a 50/50 it may tear.
Motor spins anti clockwise
So $200 and a few hrs you’ll have peace of mind for the next 50,000km just with plug and oil changes in between.
Pull the carb needles out and check for wear while at it.
If it’s had a carb kit through it good chance the plastic washer/spacer on the needle has been replaced.
If it’s a round plastic spacer file a flat edge on it so it’s a D shape so it locates properly inside on the slide otherwise your needle sits cock eyed and promotes unwanted wear on the emulsion tube.

Only other thing to be mindful of is fuel tap can sometimes weep and bad seal on the carb/float needle. A few have suffered hydraulic lock from a cylinder full of fuel and killed the motor.
You can do a simple tap mod to change it to an on/off/reserve or buy a generic style tap.

DON’T overtighten the cam caps when doing the service and please use a tension wrench to tighten to 10Nm.
Balance carbies and enjoy
Happy riding.
laughter is the best medicine

voreng
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by voreng » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:03 am

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the info, sorry to not reply earlier, your advice has been soaked up and is invaluable
cheers
Steve