The one that returned

General Discussion Forum for TRX Enthusiasts...

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

jpe70
TRX-Enthusiast

The one that returned

Post by jpe70 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:46 am

Who would have thought....

11 years ago:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/3vkfmg1ELLbzRLLp6

Yesterday:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/UHw1QtEkrM7skXiL9

Been about as long since I was on this forum as well, in the glory days of TRX modding. Looks like I'm a bit late to the party but at least I have my Bumble bee back, it's a start. Unfortunately it haven't fared really well for the last 10 years, being left in a car port for the last 4. Found it with exhaust full of petrol, rear brake siezed, front wheel same as I replaced in 2007 and fairing starting to fall apart. That I fixed back then. #-o

We'll see how this journey goes, at least the Akra and the bluespots are still there with the suspension mods.

Tarwetijger
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: The one that returned

Post by Tarwetijger » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:55 am

That doesn't look too bad?
At least nothing that a good portion of TLC can't fix. :D

jpe70
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by jpe70 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:46 am

Tarwetijger wrote:That doesn't look too bad?
At least nothing that a good portion of TLC can't fix. :D
Yeah, it could have been much worse honestly. It's still quite tidy externally, but I'm surprised by the level of ignorance that's led to the bike not being rideable.
  • Front tire from 2006
  • Rear tire busted
  • Rear brake pads nonexistent
  • Rear caliber rusty and seized
  • Exhaust pipes filled with old fuel
  • Carbs grimy with oily dirt.
  • Fuel tap stuck nonmovable
  • Fuel lines mushy and leaking
  • Traces of old petrol on the engine
  • Fairing cracking in the old fixed places
  • Throttle grip halfway off the roll
  • Unregistered, no MOT
  • It's had ONE service in since last I saw it and they "probably changed the oil then"
A little TLC and it's running again, but a few of these point makes me wonder about the state of the carbs and the head/valves. ODO is 70000 km or so, I left it just over 60 thou if I remember correctly. Not that it's a big deal, the plan was to take it apart for updates anyway... 8) :roll:

Racer-unk
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Racer-unk » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:12 am

Nothing like a good. Challenge......enjoy

jpe70
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by jpe70 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:50 pm

Racer-unk wrote:Nothing like a good. Challenge......enjoy
Thanks! Yeah, a decent challenge is interesting. And this has the potential to be one...

Had the bike in the garage for a week now, and had time to look it over a bit more between prepping our two R1's for the race next weekend. :wink:
Emptied the headers that was full of water/fuel and removed the fuel from the tank too, due to right hand header getting slightly wet at the outlet port. Removed what was left of rear brake pads and tried to work the pistons without much success. Changed oil, filter and coolant. Yup, I forgot to do both oil bolts first up... :oops:
Checked the electric under the seat and instantly regretted that decision. Started it a few times and it's mostly willing without hesitation, hopping along right away without even using the choke. That "mostly" is probably due to the mess under the saddle. Once I got a really nice 1 meter flame from the exhaust and a decent bang to go with it, so fuel/electricity for sure needs to be sorted. Been meaning to check the air filter that probably still is the same K&N I put there 12 years ago, but removing and fixing the rear brake has taken priority somehow. Still, I'm curious about that filter... :)

R1's: https://photos.app.goo.gl/XNo4ivXyPBrPDQkR6

Rear brake: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Xt6T6mDJMfrZpTup7

Under the seat: https://photos.app.goo.gl/eG5iUuN4msbyFLW19

Replaced pillion hangers with my old custom one, refurbished: https://photos.app.goo.gl/YZck11krm7hJsbyUA

Idle starting: https://photos.app.goo.gl/9q8FkbHEkNzpu6mk8

jpe70
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by jpe70 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:42 pm

So, about that filter...

Yes, it was the same old K&N. With the lid on turned 180 so not even properly held in place. Since it didn't look too shabby I cleaned and re-oiled it, there won't be much riding the bike this year so I figure it will last and I'll get a new BMC for next season. Oh, cleared the mess under the saddle too. No more starting issues. #-o

Bike's been running a few km's by now, not done any longer trips since it still isn't MOT:ed but enough to confirm it's running state. Fuel tap's rebuilt with new rubbers and spring, it is now usable but that didn't cure the wet downpipe on No 2 cylinder. So I'll just keep emptying the tank when the bike will sit for more than days. Ordered a refurbishing kit and a 6Sigma stage 3 kit for the carbs. That ought to clean things up while I wait for budget to allow TDMR's. Put on a SuperCorsa 180/60 rear just to get the bike rolling, makes for interesting geometry on a bike already on it's nose. :roll:

There is a whole bunch of small parts on it's way and hopefully I'll have time to sort that before August 31st because I kind of booked a trackday... 8) Plans are to change rear tire to a 160 Bridgestone R11 and front to one of my V02 slick. Service the forks with new oil and maybe get some rebound damping back, front pads that actually brakes and put Cobba's ignition coil rewiring in there. Finally hoping to get some tank threads in place so I don't fall off (yes, I almost did that once on a Fireblade).

No pressure, 2 weeks to go and just about finished servicing GF's race bike... :lol:

Old fuel tap parts:

Replacement ThunderAce rear caliper:

First attempt at plastic welding:

Old K&N:

No more wierd connections:

highlander
Site Sponsor

Post by highlander » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:29 pm

=D>

Nothing better than getting a bike with potential back on the road .... or track.

jpe70
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by jpe70 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:32 am

And now it has this mod too: http://www.trx850.com/phpBB_forum/viewt ... =6&t=10897

Not that much gain though, raised voltage from 11,3-11,5 to around 12,1 on the coils before starting. Used 2.5 mm cables instead of 4 mm though. Also didn't bring my reading glasses so I blew two fuses before connecting the relay correctly... :roll: #-o

It's slow going and only minor mods, but we'll get there eventually. I hope.

jpe70
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by jpe70 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:56 pm

Idiot! :x

Yeah, thats me. Got a track day on friday 31'st, so I changed fork oil and generally finished up the bike this sunday. Carbs been behaving a bit so I had a debate whether to check them over a quickie, since I got new seals and o-rings, or just leave them be and run it like is. Agains better knowledge I pulled them, cleaned a bit and changed a few bobs. Dropped them so they landed on TPS-sensor... #-o

Enter the F word. Many times. Oh, well, just put everything back and test... But throttle wire started to fray suddenly. :shock: No more words, just beer then.

Today managed to order a new set of wires and sources a couple of repair kits. Made a new temporary inner wire and slapped it all toghether before it could come apart again. Bike starts and runs clean but dies on idle without choke. Rev shows faulty TPS (3000-8000-revs-repeat) but I'll try to get a couple of laps on friday nonetheless. As long as it runs I'll manage without rev counter.

After that, it's track season over and work on bike begins for real. There is after all a swing arm and a set of R6 wheels on their way! 8) :D

Oh, that Ignition mod made a slight but noticeable difference too. At least something.

jpe70
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by jpe70 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:35 pm

Slow going here, and I can't even blame it on baby steps because I'm new to this... But season ended, bike got put in garage and my employer went bankrupt....

TPS is replaced since last time, easy job. Got a "cheap replacement" from Brooks Barn that was stamped "Mikuni" when it arrived... :lol:
Bike is in a disorderly state of tear down waiting for parts most of the time. It did get swing arm replaced by the ThunderAce unit I bought from Ian, complete with unknown brake caliper. That was surprisingly easy considering noone has put some love on the moving parts for the last 10 years. Tried to match the R6 wheel (from the same gentleman that sold me the nice swinger) but I had the wrong spacers from R1. The whole assembly turned out 3 mm wide for the arm. Oh well, back to eBay!

Sourced a complete R6 rear axle with all spacers from US and it finally arrived today. Oh joy, rear wheel fits and chain misalignment is off the charts! :roll:

Never mind that, I need a 520 kit anyway so time to think on offset later.

Been having some front end woes that finally ended in a decision to run with RSU fork from early R6. Partly to keep a stockish look but also to get the bike eligable for Classic Racing. So a pair of nice looking legs from a -02 R6 now waits on the work bench. Needs new seals and most likely new oil too, but that was expected. Will use stock triples just bore them out for the bigger fork and replace the clipons.

Spec so far then:
- T-Ace swing arm with overlying brake
- Newer 5-spoke R6 wheels
- R1 rear sprocket hub
- R6 -02 front fork (waiting for workshop)
- So far lost about 20 kg in weight savings from stock without cutting. And counting...

Good thing I have my own web site for the images: http://www.r2d2.se/galleri/
Last edited by jpe70 on Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Tarwetijger
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Tarwetijger » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:31 pm

Embedding Google pics won't work :|

jpe70
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by jpe70 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:32 pm

Tarwetijger wrote:Embedding Google pics won't work :|
Hm, well it did. But just for me apparently. Fixing tomorrow!

dicky
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by dicky » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:01 pm

The links to Google Pics are not permanent, they only last for a short time.
dicky
OOOSDC #5

davamb
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by davamb » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:03 pm

Use gdURL for google files:
https://gdurl.com/
Ride Well!
Cheers, Dave.

jpe70
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by jpe70 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:12 am

They still work, but only for me since I'm logged in on Google and have the rights apparently. Nothing a little creative linking can't cure I'm sure. :D