what to do..

General Discussion Forum for TRX Enthusiasts...

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

techfurby
TRX-Enthusiast

what to do..

Post by techfurby » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:48 am

so my trx has been a project. but when do I call it a day? I found out my knock is not the bottom end it's a bent valve. the timing was way out causing it to bend a valve. timing all done correct now and perfect but now the noise is quieter. it's a case of get the head done again. but once opened up we all know it's a rebuild. bikes done 90,000kms. it also needs fork seals done could do with rear shock redone. things starting to add up. I hate being defeated like this. I think time to sell and save up for a better condition example of the breed. lol the bike only cost me $1500. proberly another $300 in little parts eg..new cam chain,tensioner. I thinks it's time to put an ad on gumtree lol

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Re: what to do..

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:28 am

Pull the head off, someone will a spare valve if you ask around as a few have replaced with larger valves.
Clean the coating off the head gasket up and coat it with Hylomar or copper spray seal and the cam cover gasket should be able to be used again. That will keep your costs down.
Pistons might have a dent but should be Ok as the TRX only runs 10.3:1.
So cost is the price of a 2nd hand valve ..
Play it safe and get the 3 2nd hand inlets...
laughter is the best medicine

Tarwetijger
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Tarwetijger » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:10 am

A bike of the same age but only 30.000 kms probably also needs the fork seals and rear shock redone.
And there are TRX's out there with more than 300.000 kms on the clock, without engine rebuild.
All bikes need maintenance, of course.
I understand your doubt, but it is just up to you: do you like your TRX and do you see yourself still driving it around?
Or do you want something else or newer.

techfurby
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by techfurby » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:15 am

hmmms didn't think about 2nd hand. might see what's around. some people say about piston rings expanding if head off for to long?

techfurby
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by techfurby » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:22 am

I bought this bike not knowing the full service history. in need of timing chain and tensioner..in the year I had it I only rode it home from picking it up which was 10 mins. I want a trx and I love the bike. but I'm at the point of maybe start from scratch..or go little further investigate more and see what I can do. need a decent mate who wants to help me pull it apart as it's better with 2 sets of eyes than one

trixynut
Site Sponsor

Post by trixynut » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:01 pm

Mate, we have all been there at some point with some bike or other I am sure: you get to that tipping point of either committing or cutting your losses.

At the end of the day the decision is yours, but if its to commit, you need to commit and make sure you have the time and $$ to sort it. It is sortable. Otherwise it will drag you down. There's nothing worse than looking at a broken bike in your shed and not having the motivation to get stuck in.

If you cant commit to a winter project and just want to ride a bike, don't fool yourself you'll fix it, better to cut and run now. There's no shame in it.

Haha, just realised you can substitute the word "Woman" for "Bike" in all the sentences above and then take this as relationship advice instead!!!! :D

dicky
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by dicky » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:09 pm

need a decent mate who wants to help me pull it apart as it's better with 2 sets of eyes than one
Where in the world do you live?
dicky
OOOSDC #5

Tarwetijger
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Tarwetijger » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:45 pm

techfurby wrote:hmmms didn't think about 2nd hand. might see what's around. some people say about piston rings expanding if head off for to long?
With only the head off, the pistons and cilinder could stay in place. :)
Or, alternatively, you could replace the rings only. Lightly hone the cilinders and oil consumption is gone (at least for a while).
trixynut wrote:8<
Mate, we have all been there at some point with some woman or other I am sure: you get to that tipping point of either committing or cutting your losses.

At the end of the day the decision is yours, but if its to commit, you need to commit and make sure you have the time and $$ to sort it. It is sortable. Otherwise it will drag you down. There's nothing worse than looking at a broken woman in your shed and not having the motivation to get stuck in.
If you cant commit to a winter project and just want to ride a woman, don't fool yourself you'll fix it, better to cut and run now. There's no shame in it.
Hm, I might need such a "winter project". :-k

techfurby
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by techfurby » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:35 pm

adelaide..south Australia.

techfurby
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by techfurby » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:04 pm

dicky I see your in Melbourne lol..ill be there June long weekend competing at a dog show.

techfurby
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by techfurby » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:11 pm

bikes up on gumtree..

Please view this ad:

Yamaha trx 850,
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/andrews- ... pp_android

Price: $1,000 Negotiable

Download the application from the Google Play Store.
http://goo.gl/7NzhP

coxylaad
Site Sponsor

Post by coxylaad » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:27 am

trixynut wrote:Mate, we have all been there at some point with some bike or other I am sure: you get to that tipping point of either committing or cutting your losses.

At the end of the day the decision is yours, but if its to commit, you need to commit and make sure you have the time and $$ to sort it. It is sortable. Otherwise it will drag you down. There's nothing worse than looking at a broken bike in your shed and not having the motivation to get stuck in.

If you cant commit to a winter project and just want to ride a bike, don't fool yourself you'll fix it, better to cut and run now. There's no shame in it.

Haha, just realised you can substitute the word "Woman" for "Bike" in all the sentences above and then take this as relationship advice instead!!!! :D
:lol: =D>