TRX. Is it worth the time/cash ?

General Discussion Forum for TRX Enthusiasts...

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

tempered
TRX-Enthusiast

TRX. Is it worth the time/cash ?

Post by tempered » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:18 pm

Hey all, I've spotted a cheap TRX 850 close to where I live, looked at pictures and looks like everything is what I would expect for the price. 50km -£1.2k It's missing a nose cone and has brembos (gold) the rest looks like standard for an import Japanese bike.I read a lot of your builds and have seen the amount of things I could be fixing. I know my way round a bike, well the normal stuff. I would like to start my TRX as a project bike so I'm aware of the work involved. I'm not sure what to look for when buying a TRX and a little help to make me feel more confident when I see and talk to the seller would help please. :?: 8-[
I HAVE THE BIKES BUT NOT THE ONE I WANT TODAY. ER-5/ZX6R/TIGER 800/DUCTI PIKES PEAK. Pass the shoe horn please.

Snod Blatter
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: TRX. Is it worth the time/cash ?

Post by Snod Blatter » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:07 pm

The Brembos are standard on the 4NX (JDM) model, if that helps.

My main concern at 50K KM would be if it's still the original engine, because if it is then it's coming up to the time to get the inlet valves replaced.. I have to reshim mine at least every 8K miles, I prefer every 6K now that it has more than 35K miles on the clock.

£1200 seems pretty steep for a project TRX though. Where has the fairing gone?
'95 4NX with K&N filter, Motad Venom cans, YSS PD valves, Ohlins fork springs, 530 C+S, Green CDI, 11/16 radial master cylinder, +30mm jack up dog bones. Enjoyable money pit.

tempered
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by tempered » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:52 pm

Hey Snod,thanks I Did not know about the shimms,nice bit of info. It's been messed with would be paying over the odds like you said just to get it back to standard, So I'll let this one pass me by and keep eyes open for better deal thank you for your reply mate I'm better armed for the next encounter.
I HAVE THE BIKES BUT NOT THE ONE I WANT TODAY. ER-5/ZX6R/TIGER 800/DUCTI PIKES PEAK. Pass the shoe horn please.

OzzieDave
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by OzzieDave » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:02 pm

97 and later models had better valves (including Japanese models) these only need the valve clearances checked every 42000km. The fuel tap and fuel pump diaphrams break down over time, carbys may need to be kitted, as the needle jet lasts about 20,000 km. You may also need to change the rear sprocket from 39t to something like 42t, to make it more suitable for suburban riding.
Any older bike will need similar work.
I have been enjoying riding and working on mine, it is not a daily ride.
Proudly Aspergian. Yellow 98 TRX850, Staintune mufflers, braided brake hoses, blue spot brakes, remote control ignition switch, Ignitech ECU. 17/42 525 chain.

dandywarhol
Site Sponsor

Post by dandywarhol » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:39 pm

Got to agree with Ozzie here Snod. It sounds like yours still has the "soft" valves still in it and that's why they need shimmed so often.

What I do know is the TDM came out a year later than the TRX and they never had the valve clearance issues and can reliably be run between 24,000 service intervals with virtually zero change in the clearance. My '95 TRX closed up 4 out of 6 valves in under 9,000 miles. I changed the head and rechecked at 14,000 - not a bit of change.
1996 TRX 850, blue, Ohlins 46HRCLS, Race Tech Gold Valves, 0.90 springs, Venom pipes, R6 brakes............
1974 Yamaha RD250A, Candy Blue
1998 Yamaha SZR660, blue of course
1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, Blue and white

Snod Blatter
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Snod Blatter » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:27 pm

dandywarhol wrote:Got to agree with Ozzie here Snod. It sounds like yours still has the "soft" valves still in it and that's why they need shimmed so often.
I am well aware of this, but I thought all 4NX models with the Brembos were from 1995? Is this incorrect? I guess it makes perfect sense that Yamaha sold them in Japan for more than a year but I don't think I've ever seen a 4NX younger than that.

Of course there are also a few 4NXs running around with younger replacement engines, the 4NX is black and has no engine number (in fact I think it just has 4NX stamped on it?). Later engines all seem to be silver so a motor swap is easy to spot, though you don't necessarily know if it's '97 or later.. Or even if the head or valves are original.
'95 4NX with K&N filter, Motad Venom cans, YSS PD valves, Ohlins fork springs, 530 C+S, Green CDI, 11/16 radial master cylinder, +30mm jack up dog bones. Enjoyable money pit.

Con Rod
Site Sponsor

Post by Con Rod » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:00 am

Snod Blatter wrote:
dandywarhol wrote:Got to agree with Ozzie here Snod. It sounds like yours still has the "soft" valves still in it and that's why they need shimmed so often.
I am well aware of this, but I thought all 4NX models with the Brembos were from 1995? Is this incorrect? I guess it makes perfect sense that Yamaha sold them in Japan for more than a year but I don't think I've ever seen a 4NX younger than that.

Of course there are also a few 4NXs running around with younger replacement engines, the 4NX is black and has no engine number (in fact I think it just has 4NX stamped on it?). Later engines all seem to be silver so a motor swap is easy to spot, though you don't necessarily know if it's '97 or later.. Or even if the head or valves are original.
yep this was my experience with a 4nx motor, 96. I replaced the valves
Paul