R1 fork upgrade (new trx owner) pt. 2

General Discussion Forum for TRX Enthusiasts...

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Ingy850
TRX-Enthusiast

R1 fork upgrade (new trx owner) pt. 2

Post by Ingy850 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:47 pm

Hi, firstly thanks for the helpfull replies to my first post regarding fitting r14xv forks to my trx, I think I'm going to retain the trx front wheel and machine a wheel spindle and spacers to suit. My second question regards yoke offset (the centre of stem to centre of forks), the trx has an offset of 25mm while the r1 4xv yokes have 35mm, I read a while ago I think on the YamahaR forum regarding off set that increasing it (as would be the case with the 4xv yokes) can bring twichiness to the handling, it also suggested that the slightly shorter forks will decrease the wheelbase a little and quickening up the steering and that maybe fitting yokes from a later r1 with a 25 mm offset would although reduce the wheelbase further would give more stability. I would like you all to share your thoughts and experiences regarding this mod please. Regards Ivan.

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Re: R1 fork upgrade (new trx owner) pt. 2

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:58 am

I retained the STD TRX specs by having billet yokes made plus I stepped the top yoke so I could retain the same fork height.
From memory the 02-03 R1 have the same 30mm offset and so does the YZF750 but you'll need to make a 1mm sleeve to fit the bottom yoke as they have a 2mm wider bottom yoke.
The TRX offset is 30mm but the castor angle is 25* so you may have confused the 2. :wink:
Hard to find the 02-03 trees as a lot of the R1 guys wanted them too to change from 25mm to 30mm offset to add a bit more stability.
98/99 R1 offset was as much as 35mm and longer fork length but with a 135mm travel compared to 120mm of the TRX
laughter is the best medicine