R1 fork upgrade (new trx owner)

General Discussion Forum for TRX Enthusiasts...

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Ingy850
TRX-Enthusiast

R1 fork upgrade (new trx owner)

Post by Ingy850 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:41 pm

Hi, this is my first ever posting of any type as I don't do social media, after 10years without a road bike I decided to search for a project to cut and moify into a cafe racer, I soon decided the trx would be perfect. After a long search I found a red/black one with a sensible 27000 miles on it and a very reasonable price was negotated, a three hour drive later I had the bike on the trailer home without even riding it having gone with my young son and not wanting to leave him with a stranger, I had realised straight away that the bike was way too good to cut up as it was in fantastic original condition apart from micron end cans and R1 blue spots with a new mot. Bike soon insured and of I went on my first ever ride on a 4 stroke twin (I have a 350lc and used to run a zx9r), I loved it straight away and have decided it is a keeper and to add to it not cut it. I have just bought a set of r1 4xv forks and yokes to put in and am looking for any help and advise as to what works best for fitting, I know I have to fit the trx stem into the bottom yoke but don't know wether or not to go with r1 clip ons or straight bar conversion, also which wheel works best as I want to retain the speedo drive, I know the xjr/fzr/yzf750 use the 22mm diameter not the trx17mm and fitting the drive retainer to the r1 forks is no problem as I can do any of the welding/machining that may be needed. All help, tips and advise would be much appreciated.

drix
Site Sponsor

Re: R1 fork upgrade (new trx owner)

Post by drix » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:03 am

Hi mate

Congrats on your purchase! The R1 front end is a very common mod.. a search on the forum using the searching function will bring up all the info you need.

In short, the TRX stem isn't a straight fit in the R1 lower yoke so you'll have to machine a sleeve/spacer. Using all the parts from the R1 (wheel, bars etc.) will be the most straight forward swap over. The TRX speedo drive won't fit however I believe so you'll have to figure something out.. after market speedo or else.

All the best with the mods!
Adrien

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:33 am

Check out my rebuild thread as I used the std TRX wheel / discs and just had an axle mod to deal with it all so will not be any trouble for you.
I believe the longer axle used may be a 17mm DT dirt bike swing arm pivot axle.
Larger spacer welded to one end of the axle for the 22mm axle hole in the fork and a spacer used on the other leg and its tightened up with a nut just like the rear axle set up.
I ended up using a Koso dash so ended up with spacers either side of the bearings but Brett ( another lad local here) used the original speedo drive set up...

2 options.....you can fix a locator to the bottom fork leg for the speedo drive or
hold the drive so it doesn't spin when tightening the axle. Once there is sufficient pressure against it it doesn't turn.
laughter is the best medicine

Ingy850
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Ingy850 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:58 pm

Nice one guys thanks for your help, I will post some pictures and fitting solutions once I get started.

Bucko
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Bucko » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:08 pm

I used 4xv forks on mine with YZF 750 wheels on a one off spindle, you can then use the original speedo drive, you will need a top hat type spacer for the top yoke with the pressed in TRX stem and can also use the original steering lock in a straight ahead position with this set up, I used R1 clip ons. I think I have remembered everything as it was about three years ago now since the conversion!

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:25 am

If you want extra bar height there are plenty of 50mm raised clip ons online.
I've used a 60mm raised clip on ( with a stepped billet top yoke) and it puts me back at the Std TRX height.
laughter is the best medicine