New TRX owner

General Discussion Forum for TRX Enthusiasts...

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Andy B
TRX-Enthusiast

New TRX owner

Post by Andy B » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:23 pm

Hi guys,

Today I picked up my new (to me) TRX so thought i'd make my first post...

1997 model, with 20000km on the clock, and one previous owner listed on the V5, but no mention of being an import so i'm a bit puzzled as to why the speedo is in KM/h (with smaller mph figures).... It's a little tatty in places, but that just means I get to strip it and mint it again :)

Unfortunatly, it did develop a bit of a misfire on the way home once it had gotten warm, wouldnt idle without dying, and the temp gauge didn't seem to work which is a bit concerning, luckily It's not a private sale so I get to take advantage of the warranty... along with the misfire, I don't know whether its connected, but im sure there was a bit of a knock now and again from idle... would this be anything to worry about? some of the bigger misses would be accompanied by the 'knock' so to speak...

Not too concerned at this point since I have the warranty, but am curious if there's any common problems they suffer with...

Hopefully its nothing terminal, as I've been itching for a TRX for a while now. It's joining a Duc 900 monster and a custom Guzzi in the garage, so would be nice to have the three to choose from come the sunny days...

Andy.

dandywarhol
Site Sponsor

Re: New TRX owner

Post by dandywarhol » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:35 pm

Welcome - a nice stock example.

The knock could be as simple as a balance shaft/clutch basket knock at very low revs (during misfire) which is normal or as serious as the left side big end starting to fail :shock:

I'd get an independent dealer/knowledgeable mechanic to listen to it. The misfire could be as simple as a corroded HT lead from the coil to the spark plug (common on 20 year old steel cored leads) to anything more serious. I'd change the leads anyway as a starter - 6mm leads from a motor factor literally screw on

Keep us posted
1996 TRX 850, blue, Ohlins 46HRCLS, Race Tech Gold Valves, 0.90 springs, Venom pipes, R6 brakes............
1974 Yamaha RD250A, Candy Blue
1998 Yamaha SZR660, blue of course
1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, Blue and white

osbxrt
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by osbxrt » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:16 am

Nice.... it's the same model year and colour as one of mine, including the lack of silver flash to the seat panels. I haven't seen that on other model years. These early TRX850s had KPH speedos fitted as standard so nothing to worry about. I hope you get the running problems sorted, it could just be connected to lack of use and improper storage, 20000km [less than 12500 miles] in 20 years is very low. BTW it needs some exhaust cans if it's to compete with your Ducati and Guzzi. :D

Tealman
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Tealman » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:41 am

That's a nice looking TRX. I live close to you and in the 18 months I've had my bike I've never parked next to another TRX - I'll keep an eye out for you next summer (Bandit is the winter bike).

Red Rex
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Red Rex » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:42 am

The temperature gauge issue is most likely nothing to worry about. You need to ride really hard on a hot sunny day or sit standing in traffic for half an hour before it moves !! Quite normal.
I believe a 3rd gear 'whine' is also quite normal on the TRX ?? (Correct me on this someone?)
If you do a fair bit of 'town' riding you might want to change the front sprocket (lot of discussion on this forum on that topic). I went for a 41T front for better acceleration ( :shock: ) and about-town use without losing much off the top end (still does about 105mph quite happily .. although the missus doesn't know that!)
Welcome to the forum btw.
Rubber side down, Red side up is my preferred riding style.

Bucko
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Bucko » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:23 am

I'm pretty close by too, just over the water near Flint, mine was blue too before I modded it! Will look out for you at the Ponderosa maybe next spring?

Andy B
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Andy B » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:39 pm

Thanks guys, despite the misfire im pretty happy with it. Bit different to the others in the garage - was very strange at first not having the front end move with the handlebars! (sounds daft but its always the little things)...

Hopefully got the place I got it off picking it up on saturday - Didn't fancy the 20 mile ride with a miss....

Yes, I wondered about the gearing, wasn't sure what to expect, but its still better than the monster is around town so thats something :wink: will look at doing the same to the trx as I did to that and go for a bigger rear if the chain allows.. I'm surprised by the temp gauge though, i'd have expected some movement there... is the fan on the same circuit? Does that not cut in very often? I've never owned a water cooled bike before so a bit ignorant there...

I'll keep my eyes peeled for you local trx guys... i've only ever seen/noticed one before in the flesh... me and the missus do enjoy a ride up to the pondy on a nice day - she rides the Duc with me following on the Guzzi, the trx is to share so will both be having a ride...

Once warranty peroid is up, i'll get it stripped and start getting it prep'd for the season... quite like em in yellow w/ silver frame, so will be going that route methinks.. the Guzzi's blue so need another colour in the garage :)

spiritedride
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by spiritedride » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:01 pm

Hi Andy, I'm in Aussie land and ride in quite warm conditions, the temp needle will only start to climb if you are in slow traffic or warming up for 10 minutes or more.Normal riding will see it right down near the gauge stop,the fan will only cut in at over 100 degrees. Hi Redrex , your third gear comment I totally agree with, so much so that when I bought my first Trx I had the motor pulled apart only to be told everything was good ( costly process ), so to make use of labour costs new rings went in on reassembly.

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:25 am

Nothing unusual for an Oz TRX to have gone around the clock but plenty still going strong with 150,000-200,000km on them.
But weather they are the original clocks in another question.
Blue Aust model TRX's come out with silver forks and with the lack of tail decals I'd suspect it may have been in a bingle hence why the possibility of replacement gauges.
But if the motors still going strong and it feels good, then your on a winner...
Keep an eye on oil levels which are checked when the motor is warm, 500ml-1litre used (3,000km) is nothing unusual.
BUT some have been pandered when run in and bores glazed and drink oil so you'll know within the first 1000Km if you have one of them.
Down draught carb's need a kit 20-30,000km and that's just the nature of the beast.
Keep an eye on the White circular plastic air cut off cover once they perish it causes a few running rough issues.
And if you get a major service done STRESS to the mechanic to use a torque wrench on the cam caps and never to over tension ( 10Nm )
Bit of luck the std ECU will have been replaced with an IGNITECH programable unit for smoother running.
Enjoy...
laughter is the best medicine

Andy B
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Andy B » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:10 pm

Thanks for the advice guys (very jealous of your location I have to admit - once i've finished a teaching qual i'm currently doing, i'm hoping to get my visa sent off and joining you in the land of sun and warmth - but that's another story...) Mind put at rest over the temp gauge if nothing else.. ECU looks like the standard unit unfortunately, but then again, i'm not exactly a quick rider, so a programmable one probably wouldn't benefit me anyway...what are the valve clearances like to do on these? i'm a qualified car mech so got the tools to do my own work - difference being I now hate cars, but still enjoy working on my own bikes :)

I got the bike back a week after sending it back - turns out it was just the plugs - The sales guy showed me the old ones, and I wouldn't be surprised if they were the original plugs from 20 years ago! you'd think they'd check them out... Kinda wish I'd done it myself, but then, what's the point of a warranty eh? :wink:

Got a fair bit of history with the bike, and looking at the receipts for work and old MOT's, i think it looks like it could be genuine... but either way, i'm happy.. engne sounds good, runs well.. I just need some warm(er) weather and dry roads to see what she's really like...

Next up is switching out the standard exhausts, and I wouldn't mind adding an oil pressure light - seen a couple of threads, just need to work out the best way forwards... any tips on either would be welcomed :)

Cheers again guys.
Andy.

Bucko
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Bucko » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:32 pm

Im looking at adding either an oil pressure gauge or warning light too, seems a bit odd that there isn't something in the first place!