Cafe Racer nonsense

General Discussion Forum for TRX Enthusiasts...

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Trx envy
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: Cafe Racer nonsense

Post by Trx envy » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:29 pm

Yeah i dont really understand the vitriol. If you want to put ape hangers with spiky bar ends and airbrush demon clown skulls all over your harley, it's your bike. If you want to paint the windscreen wipers, door handles, wheels and filler flap fluorescent green on your maroon VN commodore, so be it, it's your car. If you want to take a perfectly good zx10r and strip it, put mx bars on it, give it a pointy arse tail that sticks straight up in the air for no apparent reason, a predator mask up front, and again paint demon skull clowns all over it with blue flames then as long as it makes you happy. Each to their own, whether its to fit a stereotype or just to be a complete weirdo oddball, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and you can't be wrong. I mean just about all of us have modified our TRX's to try and get them to perform, look and sound the way we want whether right or wrong.

gizzo
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by gizzo » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:12 am

Anyway, if I can find the right bike for the right money, my plan is to build a bosozoku bike for the next DGR. Should be fun.

davamb
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by davamb » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:12 am

gizzo wrote:... bosozoku ...
Had to look that one up! Don't you want something a bit more naff as the donor bike?
Ride Well!
Cheers, Dave.

gizzo
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by gizzo » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:38 am

Aha, yes, I won't be doing that to a TReX. I was thinking Suzuki GS500 or Hyosung, something truly cheap and disposable.

Trx envy
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Trx envy » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:32 pm

gizzo wrote:Anyway, if I can find the right bike for the right money, my plan is to build a bosozoku bike for the next DGR. Should be fun.
Badarse :twisted:

Excalibre
Site Sponsor

Post by Excalibre » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:06 am

I like a good cafe racer.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - but cafe racer conversions tend to be more accepted and less controversial if the donor bike is generally considered ugly to start with.
Case in point, this is my Honda CX500 (bracing for vitriol from the appreciation of CX500s community)

In it's original form

Of course, no one would ever consider changing the look of a TRX, given they are perfect straight from the factory :-P
Black '99: Race Tech fork springs/emulators, R6 Shock, FCR41's, Modified airbox with K&N filter, Omrae carbon mufflers, R1 brakes, Toby steering damper, and;
Black '01: unmodified, 100% original, and;
'95 Import: Track Bike - too much to list

gizzo
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by gizzo » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:12 pm

Nice cx, man. I did one of those too, last winter. I grafted a set of USD forks from a hyosung gt250r onto it, so it looks good, has decent brakes and runs a modern size front wheel. Handles really well, too. I made a set of proper rearset pegs with fully functioning gear shift and back brake (if you know CC's, you'll understand). Id post a pic but it's too hard on this forum. Here's a link to my TRX cafe post http://www.trx850.com/phpBB_forum/viewt ... 26&t=12106

Excalibre
Site Sponsor

Post by Excalibre » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:37 am

Thread hijack alert!!!

Respect for the rearset conversion. That is a very complicated process for the CX.
The goal with my CX build is for it to look like a survivor bike from the '60s. As such I've deliberately avoided anything modern looking such as upside down forks.
I'm in the process of sourcing some CX wheel hubs for a spoke-wheel conversion.
gizzo wrote:Nice cx, man. I did one of those too, last winter. I grafted a set of USD forks from a hyosung gt250r onto it, so it looks good, has decent brakes and runs a modern size front wheel. Handles really well, too. I made a set of proper rearset pegs with fully functioning gear shift and back brake (if you know CC's, you'll understand). Id post a pic but it's too hard on this forum. Here's a link to my TRX cafe post http://www.trx850.com/phpBB_forum/viewt ... 26&t=12106
Black '99: Race Tech fork springs/emulators, R6 Shock, FCR41's, Modified airbox with K&N filter, Omrae carbon mufflers, R1 brakes, Toby steering damper, and;

gizzo
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by gizzo » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:14 am

Have you seen the hubs by cognito moto? Expensive, but beautiful
https://cognitomoto.com/products/cx500- ... 889793#nav
Or you going to do the spoke flange thing? Both ends up being pretty pricey.
If you're interested in seeing my rearset solution, let me know. I can pm you a link to the build thread on another forum. It's very simple and inexpensive but effective.

gizzo
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by gizzo » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:16 am

Better yet, I just saw your location is in Adelaide. Me too, so I can show you for real if you like. Plus, might be able to fix you up with a front comstar.

davamb
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by davamb » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:16 am

gizzo wrote:Have you seen the hubs by cognito moto? Expensive, but beautiful
https://cognitomoto.com/products/cx500- ... 889793#nav
Wow, that is metal art. I want something like that to improve the DPO's friggin' rubbish front brake job on my Commando. Been thinking of whipping sonething up in 3D CAD and getting it machined up.
Ride Well!
Cheers, Dave.

Excalibre
Site Sponsor

Post by Excalibre » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:59 pm

gizzo wrote:Better yet, I just saw your location is in Adelaide. Me too, so I can show you for real if you like. Plus, might be able to fix you up with a front comstar.
Will send you a PM. Starting to feel guilty for hijacking the thread :)

wreckage
Site Sponsor

Post by wreckage » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:14 am

Wherever you go, there you are.
:riding:

Racer-unk
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Racer-unk » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:18 pm

not a fan of cafe racer either, but if you start with a crap bike and turn it into a good cafe racer, it's fine. But dont spoil a good bike and stuff it up on a whim.

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:25 pm

wreckage wrote:Here's another one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVY0uU5h3OY&t=24s

:|
That’s Jonny’s cafe.
He bought the first pair of pistons from me and has the matching maximum weight loss 878 pistons and Carrillo rods that are in my bike.
laughter is the best medicine