Muffler Repair

General Discussion Forum for TRX Enthusiasts...

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

davamb
TRX-Enthusiast

Muffler Repair

Post by davamb » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:42 am

As a result of taking the Candelo / Tantawangalo Creek bridges on the West Kameruka Rd with a bit too much gusto on the TRX some months back, I ended up with a damaged Staintune Carbon muffler.

Rang Staintune late November (after waiting a week for no answer to my email inquiry) and was told they don't do the Carbon series any more, but if I sent them the mufflers, they'd replace the Carbon tubes with their standard stainless ones and repack each for $140 a side. Said the process was straightforward and turnaround was a week. Sounded like a pretty good deal so I posted off the mufflers. I then followed-up with an email making sure they had all the details.

After hearing nothing from them for 3 weeks I rang to inquire how things were travailing. Spoke to a different gent this time who was pleased to find out why they'd bent sent a couple of old pipes and what did they want me to do with them. I dug out my notes on the previous phone call and told him what the deal was. He was rather pissed off to hear the price I'd been quoted, said they normally charge twice that amount. I told him that was what I was quoted and luckily had a name to add. Was told they'd honour the quote and get right on it.

A week and a half ago I rang to find out how the pipes were traveling as I was having serious bike withdrawal by this stage. Dude I spoke to took my number and said he'd go check and call me back immediately.

You'll not be surprised perhaps, to hear that I hadn't heard from anyone come NYE, so I called again mid arvo. This time all I got was a recorded message saying they were now closed until mid January. Left a rather despairing message and rang off. For some reason I'd expected better. Silly me.

I wonder how long this will take to conclude. Will report progress - or perhaps, the lack thereof.
Ride Well!
Cheers, Dave.

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Re: Muffler Repair

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:25 am

That's a bummer Dave. I would have expected a little more service from Staintune.
Xmas new year is always a bit of a pain in the butt when doing business I found.

I rang early December about fork bushes to be replaced and dropped them off yesterday because of their Xmas new year break. Got a phone call this morning, 3 -4 week back order for the R1 fork bushes as much as I made them aware of what needed doing and healthy conversation last year about the refurb.. :( I've been waiting 1 week for a courier pick up too so a little frustrating..

But full credit to the fellow I purchased the rotor puller from his online store.
Rang me a couple of times over xmas/new year to confirm things so there are some who value customer service..
laughter is the best medicine

Stu99
Site Sponsor

Post by Stu99 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:08 pm

Doesn't seem that their customer service matches the product. :?

Dave, you are welcome to borrow my Staintunes until yours return if your riding withdrawal is getting too much.

Cheers,
Stu.
It must be true, I read it on the internet.

M.V.
Site Sponsor

Post by M.V. » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:17 am

Bummer. Yeah, or there's some stock ones hanging in my shed if you want to be really boring! :lol:

bane
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by bane » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:50 pm

Or if you want to stay with carbon fibre you could buy some tubes from this mob and DIY http://www.pjengineering.co.uk/categories.php?cat=9

Bane.

davamb
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by davamb » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:47 am

Thanks for the offers guys, really appreciate it. Have a spare standard system at home, but keep hanging out thinking they'll be done any day. Guess you'll not be surprised to learn that no-one returned my call on their return-to-work day; today. I'll give them a ring tomorrow, gotta do my bit for keeping Telstra profitable huh.

Yeah, I searched for CF tube Bane, but it all seemed pretty exy, even thought of buying cheapo complete mufflers and just ratting them for the tubes. Staintune's offer seemed affordable and the time frame reasonable, if only I'd have known otherwise then I'd have pursued alternatives!

Let ya know how I go tomorrow.
Ride Well!
Cheers, Dave.

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:51 am

Sound great Staintunes but GOD their heavy. :( Must be on par with the stock jobbies.

davamb
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by davamb » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:19 am

Left a message again last Friday after going through to their answering service. No-one's returned my call so I've just rang again. 'Phone rang out this time with no answer. I'd be happy at this stage just to get my bits back and find another solution - this is really going nowhere - but can't even do that! What the hell is going on there?
Ride Well!
Cheers, Dave.

dicky
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by dicky » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:00 am

cobbadiggabuddyblooo wrote:Sound great Staintunes but GOD their heavy. :( Must be on par with the stock jobbies.
Nope.

The Staintune muffler weighs 2.588kg with the db killer installed.
My scales only go up to 5kg, and the original muffler weighs more than that, so a significant reduction in weight.
dicky
OOOSDC #5

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:04 am

Carbon muffler or stainless Dicky???
Yes the stock mufflers are just over 6kg from memory.
Around 15kg for the whole system.

dicky

Post by dicky » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:32 am

cobbadiggabuddyblooo wrote:Carbon muffler or stainless Dicky???
Stainless.
I don't know what the Staintune Carbon muffler weighs, but the RSC Carbon can from my Aprilia weighs 2kg exactly.
It is fuk'n loud.
600g difference for a stainless can is not bad, and they are much quieter.
dicky
OOOSDC #5

dicky

Post by dicky » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:36 am

davamb wrote:Left a message again last Friday after going through to their answering service. No-one's returned my call so I've just rang again. 'Phone rang out this time with no answer. I'd be happy at this stage just to get my bits back and find another solution - this is really going nowhere - but can't even do that! What the hell is going on there?
Dave,

Last time I tried to deal directly with Staintune I had the same lack of response as you are seeing.
I ended up going through a shop, Dynotune in this case, and got instant service.
Given that you have already sent the stuff to them directly it's probably too late to do much, but if you are friendly with any of the bigger shops it can't hurt to ask if they can inquire on your behalf.
dicky
OOOSDC #5

davamb
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by davamb » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:33 am

Rang again Wednesday and got the answering machine. Left another message - no call back. Rang this morning and got through. Told them to ship them back. Enough is enough, this has been an exercise in futility. 6 weeks and absolutely zero outcome. I just don't get it. Why promise one week turn-around if you have no intention to honour it? If, in fact, you had no intention of ever doing anything? I am very disappointed. I will not be considering Staintune a product option in the future.
Ride Well!
Cheers, Dave.

QuickDraw
Site Sponsor

Post by QuickDraw » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:37 am

I remember being ignored by Pipemasters in Brisbane a few years ago. That's when I decided to modify/make my own.
Maybe it's because they're exhaust manufacturers... all they know how to deliver is noise and hot-air?

Con Rod
Site Sponsor

Post by Con Rod » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:48 am

Ba dum tssssh

Yes I am of the view that Aussie companies generally do a shit job when it comes to customer service. For me this is the main driver for shopping online. Price is a secondary benefit. My view is that if they can't be bothered with customer service, I can't be bothered with them
Paul