Suspensions set up...

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

burty
Site Sponsor

Re: Suspensions set up...

Post by burty » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:02 pm

steve speed wrote:"Diablos on the Tuono made me feel like a real hero primarily because they wore out so damn fast"

i wonder if it could be something to do with the 125bhp of madness :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I think that might have had something to do with it. I did ride to work the twisty way one day, stopped at a petrol station and spotted that I'd worn the rear down to the canvas. I blame all the roundabouts myself.

Jono

Post by Jono » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:51 am

I've had a quick read through but this is all a bit complicated for me! Does anyone have some simple advice for setting up a TRX for road riding and maybe a few rides with the wife or kids on the back? I'm about 96kg, I couldn't tell you what the wife weighs, she won't tell me.

MotoMarkus
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by MotoMarkus » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:50 pm

I have experienced something quite frightening on the TRX the last weeks, the front wheel suddenly steps out in mid turn. I don't think it really steps out or slips but it feels like it, both times I have stretched out my leg to support if it would wind up as a lowsider but it hasn't.

I have a fairly new 120/70 tire inflated to 2.5bar, the bike has always been serviced at Yamaha so the fork oil should have been changed.
I'm thinking this may be a fork setup issue?

I'm used to a upright seating position from riding dual sport thumpers (mostly sideways on dirt roads!) the last years so it could well be just that I'm not used to the cornering characteristics of a "sports" road bike, although I don't think the ZZR I once owned did this...

Dan 850
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Dan 850 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:51 pm

Front dropped 27mm through, to the top of the leg, not top of the preload rings. pre load, 4 rings, 27mm sag with me on, on #4 for the dampening. On the back it's on #3 preload on my own. Upto 7 with the mrs. Don't have to adjust the chain then. Something rings a bell at 6 clicks on resivour and ring underneath I can't remember. Maxis diamonds at 32 front 36 rear. 120/70 160/60. Think of a jack up kit of 10-20mm to compensate for the new profile tyre.

Works pretty well and seems settled on fast or slow although isn't as fast entry or flickable as I'd like so still playing
Double the fun if your riding twins! Shame her sister doesn't think so.

pom in nz
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by pom in nz » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:49 am

Dont waste your time on the stock rear shock!,
bung in a 2004-05 R6 rear shock, $50.00 US you cant go wrong, and the improvement is amazing :shock:
got one in mine set to standard R6 settings and its like a different bike =D>
if its too hard, your doing it wrong.

sandmacker
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by sandmacker » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:08 am

I've often wondered about suspension set ups also . I tend to ride the tight stuff to keep my speeds down and I have over time set my bike up to suit what happens under acceleration moreso than focusing on the turn in .
I have a policy of getting on the gas as early as possible . When I start leaning , I start accelerating . I therefore tend to do all my braking up right . As a result I have my front end compression hard and my rebound quick . My rear shock is more the opposite . Soft on the compression and slow on the rebound . This way the bike squats thru the corner .
If it feels a bit dead on the rear just up the rebound .If it bottoms out , up the compression . When you get to the next corner in a series of esses say , with a touch of the front brake to help it flick , the bike levels out rather than dips .
I believe alot of people set their suspension up for the extremes in where and how they ride. If I dont feel my suspension moving rather than say being hammered as one does in these race bikes , then I believe your at a disadvantage over all.
I had a mate with a ducati . It wasn't enough to have what he had (multistrada S) . So he tricked the suspension up . Sure , he was faster when it was dry , but when the rain came or the roads got unduly rough , he actually lost out and was slower . It was so bloody nervous . Mind you , in the dry it was vey quick.

And thanks for the R6 shock tip . I was about to get a progressive spring on the rear and get new oil and such .
Which poses the question ;
Would a TRX shock with a progressive hyperpro spring with new oil and seals be better than a second hand R6 shock ?
Im in the process of reconditioning freshening up the whole swing arm / rear shock section

(1996) TRX 850 (red );K&N filter , rejetted , omrae carbon pipes , 530 chain.
(2012)Tuono V4 1000
(2005)SP2 Honda 1000
(2002) TDM 900

sandmacker
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by sandmacker » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:06 am

Question ; Isn't the R6 shock only 119mm as opposed to the TRX's 130 mm travel ? And a progressive spring would give you more feel wouldn't it ?

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:11 am

I think you will find the TRX and R6 rear springs std are progressive to start. If you had a linear (single spring rate)spring set to your weight your working with a constant the more you compress the spring so this should not affect rebound and other compression settings as its a constant. With the linkage set up on the TRX you still gain full swing arm movement with the R6 conversion
laughter is the best medicine

sandmacker
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by sandmacker » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:32 am

Thanks for the heads up cob . I've decided to go for the R6 rear shock. There is a 03 one for 26 dollars US, but I'll fork out for the 2007 one for $50 .
I've been told by reddog I have to contact Kayla on this forum to get a small part to connect the R6 shock on to me trixie.

If your there kayla please contact me as I would like to get that part please .

Con Rod
Site Sponsor

Post by Con Rod » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:21 am

sandmacker wrote:.......
I've been told by reddog I have to contact Kayla on this forum to get a small part to connect the R6 shock on to me trixie.

If your there kayla please contact me as I would like to get that part please .
This is Kayla's adapter

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Yamaha-R6-sh ... 233wt_1163
Paul

sandmacker
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by sandmacker » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:12 am

I've noticed on the R6 shocks from 03 to 09 , they specify different linkages ; eg......75J or 86D ,88F ect .
Would they make a difference to connect the adaptor to the shock ?
I've only sourced 03, 04 ,07, 09 year shocks for R6's to date .

I would not like to get it sent from the US of an A to Australia to find out I got the wrong one . [-X

alextrx850
Site Sponsor

Post by alextrx850 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:16 am

The r6 shock HAS to have the tuneing fork lower attatchment to mate up to Kaylas adapter..dont buy the other eyelet style..big mistake that ive seen before.

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:20 pm

So you will need 06/07 and onwards for a few yrs.. I've seen some with 2009 so as Alex made you aware just look at the base of the std TRX shock and make sure the one you get has the same
laughter is the best medicine

sanddune51
Site Sponsor

Post by sanddune51 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:01 pm

alextrx850 wrote:The r6 shock HAS to have the tuneing fork lower attatchment to mate up to Kaylas adapter..dont buy the other eyelet style..big mistake that ive seen before.

This is how I fitted an early R6 rear damper unit some years ago.It was little used and the cost was low. So not such a big mistake :D

Mark.

alextrx850
Site Sponsor

Post by alextrx850 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:11 pm

Nicely done Mark, how did you stop the lower shock pinion from turning like a crank shaft as its rubber cushed..looks like youve welded the two together ?
Reminds me my first boss saying,.. no such thing as cant. =D>