Carb hoses

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

tiggermac
TRX-Enthusiast

Carb hoses

Post by tiggermac » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:16 pm

Hello, i introduced myself in the introduction session and have a few question about my TRX. I had the carbs cleaned and now i have replaced them but i have one tube i don't see where to connect to. Where does #3 connect with? I forgot to take a picture when it was connected.
And #1 and #2, they are only breather tubes?

Further an opinion question: after draining the oil there was fuel in the oil. Rebuild the fuel tap and it works ( so far). I have a new set of clutch plates (clutch was sticking) which i'm gonna install but is it wise to put new oil and filter, let the bike run for a few minutes (warm up) en than drain the oil en install a new oil filter and oil again to remove any old contaminated oil?

Greetings, Patrick

dicky
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Re: Carb hoses

Post by dicky » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:45 pm

1 & 2 are the diaphragm vent hoses, they tuck in under the tank seat stops.
3 is the float overflow hose, it runs down the back of the gearbox near the rear brake master cylinder.
4 is the idle adjust cable, it bolts on to the LHS top frame rail.
5 & 6 are part of the carb heater circuit. There is a third hose as part of this circuit that connects to the LHS (in your pic) carb at the same point that hose 5 joins the RHS carb.
dicky
OOOSDC #5

tiggermac
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by tiggermac » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:36 am

Dicky, thank you! Now i know i didn’t do anything wrong :D.
I can continue with my rebuild.

Patrick

PeteJ
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by PeteJ » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:56 am

Hi Patrick, I once had the same thing happen to my old first gen Speed Triple, when the entire engine became flooded with fuel. After making sure that the new float needle valves actually sealed properly, I did the same as you wrote except for one thing. After draining the old oil and filling up with new oil, I disconnected the spark plug caps and started the engine for a while with help from another battery. I wanted to make sure the new oil circulated properly before actually running the engine. (Fuel can so easily wash oil off of all the parts oil is supposed to cling to). Then I re-connected the plug caps and ran the engine till the fan came on and replaced the oil and filter again afterwards. It was an added expense doing it this way but for peace of mind I felt it was worthwhile.

Tarwetijger
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Tarwetijger » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:42 am

Exactly, like an oil flush. You wont need expensive oil for the flush so save some money there. :wink:

tiggermac
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by tiggermac » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:01 am

PeteJ wrote:Hi Patrick, I once had the same thing happen to my old first gen Speed Triple, when the entire engine became flooded with fuel. After making sure that the new float needle valves actually sealed properly, I did the same as you wrote except for one thing. After draining the old oil and filling up with new oil, I disconnected the spark plug caps and started the engine for a while with help from another battery. I wanted to make sure the new oil circulated properly before actually running the engine. (Fuel can so easily wash oil off of all the parts oil is supposed to cling to). Then I re-connected the plug caps and ran the engine till the fan came on and replaced the oil and filter again afterwards. It was an added expense doing it this way but for peace of mind I felt it was worthwhile.
I don’t expect to start the engine right away because the carbs had an overhaul and are empty. I might keep the vacuum hose of the fuel tap and crank the engine.

tiggermac
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by tiggermac » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:53 pm

Tarwetijger wrote:Exactly, like an oil flush. You wont need expensive oil for the flush so save some money there. :wink:
I have a left over of 10W40 semi synthetic oil from my car, can i use that?

Patrick

dicky
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by dicky » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:45 pm

I have a left over of 10W40 semi synthetic oil from my car, can i use that?
Yes.
You could use almost any grade/type of oil for the flush.
dicky
OOOSDC #5

tiggermac
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by tiggermac » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:13 am

Thank you :D