Tension bar

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

sebextrix
TRX-Enthusiast

Tension bar

Post by sebextrix » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:33 pm

Hi,
I have a question about the tension bar connected to the swingarm and the rear caliper. How come it is locked on both sides at 30Nm though it is supposed to move according to the rear axle ? I cannot make a tension of my chain because it would not move. I read nothing about it in the service manual so i am very much surprised. Shall I unscrew these screws each time i make a chain tension???
Thanx !

Snod Blatter
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: Tension bar

Post by Snod Blatter » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:07 pm

I thought it is standard practice on any bike to free off the torque arm if it is bolted in place? Tighten chain, tighten axle, tighten torque arm..

Although with the lovely aluminium arm on the TRX you'll probably find that you have to undo the nuts and then break the fuk'r free from its corrosion at the swingarm mount :roll:
'95 4NX with K&N filter, Motad Venom cans, YSS PD valves, Ohlins fork springs, 530 C+S, Green CDI, 11/16 radial master cylinder, +30mm jack up dog bones. Enjoyable money pit.

Trx envy
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Trx envy » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:06 am

Oh crap. I didnt touch the thing when ive tensioned my chain. Didnt have a problem sliding the axle where i wanted it though ,, was a bit sticky come to think of it but didnt seem to be a problem.
Am i doing it wrong?

Rod.s
Site Sponsor

Post by Rod.s » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:18 am

When the rear wheel axle is loosened to adjust the chain the calliper mounting bracket then pivots around the axle keeping it aligned with the disc. There is no requirement to remove the torque arm as it pivots up and down as the calliper moves forward/backwards..
Last edited by Rod.s on Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
If it's not made in China, it's a fake!

Rod.s
Site Sponsor

Post by Rod.s » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:08 am

Snod Blatter wrote: Although with the lovely aluminium arm on the TRX you'll probably find that you have to undo the nuts and then break the fuk'r free from its corrosion at the swingarm mount :roll:
Yep, my guess is that the calliper mounting bracket is locked onto the axle etc with corrosion, if it don't want to move then pull it apart and fix the issue :D
If it's not made in China, it's a fake!

Trx envy
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Trx envy » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:57 am

Nice one, cheers!

sebextrix
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by sebextrix » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:19 pm

Thank you all for your answers, and especially rod.s picture !
I think we have found the problem : not corrosion but probably previous owners (mechanics?) who tightened with too much torque the bolts on the swingarm and the caliper bracket, and then who deformed the aluminium tension bar "forks" on both sides. Now the caliper bracket cannot move freely even when I put the advised 30Nm torque.

Snod Blatter
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Snod Blatter » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:27 am

Why would you expect it to move freely once you've tightened the bolts to hold it in place? Am I missing something here :?
'95 4NX with K&N filter, Motad Venom cans, YSS PD valves, Ohlins fork springs, 530 C+S, Green CDI, 11/16 radial master cylinder, +30mm jack up dog bones. Enjoyable money pit.

dicky
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by dicky » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:16 pm

Tightening the bolt/nut at the end of the tension bar to the correct torque ensures that the bolt/nut is firmly seated to the bar, but no so much that the forked end of the bar deforms and seizes the caliper mount or swing-arm lug.
Over-tightening will deform the forked end and lock everything solid.
I had written this out in more detail a couple of days ago but somehow forget to actually post it up. Sorry.
You may be able to gently pry the forked ends apart so that the caliper mount can slide in and out freely, then torque the bolt correctly and see if it still allows some rotation.
dicky
OOOSDC #5