Driveline lash at idle normal?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

jim280885
Site Sponsor

Driveline lash at idle normal?

Post by jim280885 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:28 pm

Just wondering if the norm is for the chain to rotate smoothly at idle with the bike on a rear paddock stand in first?? eg when cleaning/lubing chain. Mine has always had so much lash when at idle that it looks like the chain could jump a tooth and the whole bike shudders/engine lugs. I'd always suspected that maybe my output shaft was bent as i seem to go through chains quite quickly even though I care for them well. Tension is set correctly and regularly cleaned etc. But then it crossed my mind that maybe this lash is down to the uneven firing order or something... any thoughts/experiences would be dandy :)

Excalibre
Site Sponsor

Re: Driveline lash at idle normal?

Post by Excalibre » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:31 am

Hi,

Yes it is normal for the chain to slap around if idling in gear on the paddock stand, although if it seems that it could jump a tooth then maybe the chain is a bit loose?

Not recommended practice though and very dangerous.

1. The bike isn't stable and could rock off the stand
2. Google, "finger in motorcycle chain" and you'll find a gazillion results for people have that lost fingers lubing or cleaning their chains in the circumstances you've described.
My own brother lost the end of a finger when it did a lap of the rear sprocket.

Cheers
Black '99: Race Tech fork springs/emulators, R6 Shock, FCR41's, Modified airbox with K&N filter, Omrae carbon mufflers, R1 brakes, Toby steering damper, and;
Black '01: unmodified, 100% original, and;
'95 Import: Track Bike - too much to list

jim280885
Site Sponsor

Re: Driveline lash at idle normal?

Post by jim280885 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:51 am

Thanks Excalibre.

I'll stop wondering. And yes, my fingers/toes/hair/willy are all nowhere near the chain when doing this.

cheers.