Oil sight glass slighly gunked up

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Rubes
Site Sponsor

Oil sight glass slighly gunked up

Post by Rubes » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:08 pm

Oil sight glass is starting to get a bit hard to see through with a slight brown sludge stain. Bike has done about 145,000km. Runs ok but checking oil level becoming a bit of a pain. Should I look at using some form of engine flush, a diesel oil or just leave it to avoid making a small issue worse by loosening up potential sludge? I'm thinking leave it alone but any thoughts?
Learn from the mistakes of others because we don't live long enough to make them all ourself.

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: Oil sight glass slighly gunked up

Post by Mincehead » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:33 pm

You `might` be able to fashion a wiping tool from welding rod, gaffer tape and a cotton bud. :wink:
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

Rod.s
Site Sponsor

Post by Rod.s » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:35 am

Rubes wrote:Oil sight glass is starting to get a bit hard to see through with a slight brown sludge stain. Bike has done about 145,000km. Runs ok but checking oil level becoming a bit of a pain. Should I look at using some form of engine flush, a diesel oil or just leave it to avoid making a small issue worse by loosening up potential sludge? I'm thinking leave it alone but any thoughts?
I'd run a quality oil clean through the engine as that sludge is all through the engine and will reappear even after you wipe it away…….and a new filter after cleaning :D
If it's not made in China, it's a fake!

drix
Site Sponsor

Post by drix » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:39 am

Or you could remove the upper oil sump cover to clean the glass, replace the seal and fit back on. A full oil flush + a new filter and you'll be good for another 145000kms! ;)