Thundercat forks comp adjusters

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

wurlyvalve
TRX-Enthusiast

Thundercat forks comp adjusters

Post by wurlyvalve » Tue May 24, 2016 9:55 am

Hello all,

I've taken the plunge after reading around on this forum and bought a second hand pair of good condition 1998 Thundercat forks. So, they are date stamped '96 and the compression adjusters are seized.

Do we know if k-tech adjusters for the '98 R6 fit? They don't know. They've never had a request for replacement comp adjusters for a Thundercat. Looking at fiche part numbers the 98-03 R6 lower leg is 23126-00-00, as is the the double adjust Thundercat forks. However, the single adjust Thundercat and FZR600 are 23126-10-00. Am I in luck?

How is the job done? Drill the detent cap, tap and pull out with a bolt, remove detent spring and ball. Then drill into the brass 'screw' (comp adjuster/flow control valve) and use a stud extractor?
How do I plug in a new detent cap? Custom bit of, lets say, 5mm steel tube/plug/cap?

I asked them about rebuilding the forks and they suggested buying another pair.

Cheers,
Glen.

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: Thundercat forks comp adjusters

Post by Mincehead » Tue May 24, 2016 10:56 am

Buy another pair? How helpful! I`m afraid I cannot answer your technical questions but K-Tech obviously don`t need the work. :roll:
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

wurlyvalve
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by wurlyvalve » Tue May 24, 2016 11:21 am

I won't slag them off, it wasn't a negative response. But I was sort of expecting an influx of quotes for rebuilds, change this, change that. Hey-ho. Maybe I don't make myself very clear on the phone.?.

I'd still be happy to have them rebuilt.... if people have had Thundercat forks rebuilt and can recommend?

Or I plough my own furrow on a voyage of discovery (another bloody project I'll never complete).

Cheers,
Glen.

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Wed May 25, 2016 7:46 am

Start to disassemble them and see how you go on, remember gentle heat will also help things `move`, you`ll be replacing o rings etc anyway so don`t worry about destroying them. :wink:
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

wurlyvalve
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by wurlyvalve » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:02 pm

Not gone well. The detent balls are proper proper seized in the lug of the lower leg. What chance have I of drilling them out? This is the guide that I've been following:
http://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=304829

Drilled out the cap, removed the springs tapped the caps. The caps won't pull out :(. The balls won't budge. So do I use the remainder of the steel cap a boring guide for a drill to try to drill out the detent balls? Fingers crossed that I don't go into the actual brass adjuster.... ???

Cheers,
Glen.