Slight ratle in engine - is this normal?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

CanadaSteve
TRX-Enthusiast

Slight ratle in engine - is this normal?

Post by CanadaSteve » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:01 pm

I'm seriously thinking of buying a TRX and took one out the other day. It has about 72,000 km on the clock and ran fine but after about 10 minutes I could hear a bit of a rattle coming from the engine. Couldn't tell if it was valve train clearance being excessive (sounded a bit loud for that but I'm not an expert) or from the cam chain/tensioner. So my question is, is a bit of rattling from these engines normal and if so then what's the usual cause and is it likely to be a big deal? Would appreciate any input from those experienced with these bikes as I have to make a decision pretty soon to either get this one or leave it .

Thanks

Snod Blatter
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: Slight ratle in engine - is this normal?

Post by Snod Blatter » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:45 pm

They're pretty noisy engines, a disturbing amount of cam chain rattle seems to be normal and the clearances for the valves are quite large so they do all tap (clatter?) a bit. Some are said to be worse than others, but maybe some owners are more deaf than others..

Fresh oil can calm the noises, maybe worth asking when it was last changed?
'95 4NX with K&N filter, Motad Venom cans, YSS PD valves, Ohlins fork springs, 530 C+S, Green CDI, 11/16 radial master cylinder, +30mm jack up dog bones. Enjoyable money pit.

CanadaSteve
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: Slight rattle in engine - is this normal?

Post by CanadaSteve » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:24 am

Thanks for the reply. The current owner is an old guy like me and has taken pretty good care of the bike mechanically as well as fitting wavy front discs and braided lines. He used it for a commuter for some years. He said he'd never noticed the rattling when I pointed it out. Could be I guess, as things can creep up on you over the years. There's also some corrosion on the trellis frame and brackets but I understand this might be normal on these Yamahas and OK as long as it's not too serious.

CanadaSteve
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by CanadaSteve » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:28 am

Snod Blatter wrote:They're pretty noisy engines, a disturbing amount of cam chain rattle seems to be normal and the clearances for the valves are quite large so they do all tap (clatter?) a bit. Some are said to be worse than others, but maybe some owners are more deaf than others..

Fresh oil can calm the noises, maybe worth asking when it was last changed?
Thanks for the reply. The current owner is an old guy like me and has taken pretty good care of the bike mechanically as well as fitting wavy front discs and braided lines. He used it for a commuter for some years. He said he'd never noticed the rattling when I pointed it out. Could be I guess, as things can creep up on you over the years. There's also some corrosion on the trellis frame and brackets but I understand this might be normal on these Yamahas and OK as long as it's not too serious.

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:37 am

Noisy valve clearances are happy clearances on the TRX, if it starts and runs sweetly it`s not an issue unless it`s excessive. :wink:
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

SDN
Site Sponsor

Post by SDN » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:02 pm

They do sound a bit llike a bag of nails - so probably OK- engines are touugh so long as oil and filters are changed

CanadaSteve
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by CanadaSteve » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:54 am

OK so I took the plunge and bought it. It's got 73,000 km on the clock but seems to run OK and I got it for only $2500, which seems a bit of a bargain these days for a TRX. On the way home I got to try it out way more than the short test ride. Engine is a bit lumpy under about 3500 (more so than my previous CX650) but incredibly smooth at about 110-120 kph in top gear. Hard to believe you're going as quick as you are because the engine seems so low revving. Pretty sure now that the rattle is the valve clearances so a bit of noise there is not too worrisome. I'll change the oil ASAP anyway. Also need to replace the rear brake rotor as it's grooved and under spec thickness. Will change the cush drive rubbers while I'm at it as it's a bit snatchy off the line. Piston on front calipers need lubricating but all in all not a bad ride. Oh and by the way, it's got no baffles in the cans so it sounds f**king AWSOME!!

And so the project begins...

Mav617
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mav617 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:05 am

Welcome aboard mate and enjoy! Might be worth ditching the original calipers for blue spots - pretty cheap upgrade and worth every penny, bolt straight on. Get the one piece ones rather than the older 'Cat ones with link pipes.
GP100, Z200, RD250LC, CB250RS, RD250LC, GSXR400, RZ250LC, TZR250, FZR600, FZR600R, SZR660, VTR1000F, TRX850 x 2, MT-03, LCII 350 YPVS, VTR1000F