Starting problem / tachometer reading

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Bucko
TRX-Enthusiast

Starting problem / tachometer reading

Post by Bucko » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:40 pm

Went to start the TRX a day or two ago after it had spent the day in direct sunlight, and the starter relay just clicked away rapidly with the bike only occasionally half turning over, managed to bump start the bike to ride home, on the way I noticed the tachometer reading lower than normal rpm and occasionally flickering, I also thought the indicator warning lights were a little dimmer than normal, after 10 miles or so the bike starting missing and eventually stopped, I coasted to a halt, it wouldn’t start on the button but I did manage to bump start it again and it ran fine all the way home. Stuck it on a trickle charger but it fails to charge , yet it starts on the button now easily? Would a faulty battery cause this, should I change it first, it’s three years old and has always been kept on a trickle charger, thanks Steve.

Snod Blatter
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: Starting problem / tachometer reading

Post by Snod Blatter » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:10 am

Are the wires tightly screwed on to the battery terminals?

Some batteries can be dead after 3 years though, it's not unheard of. If you turn on the headlight and put a multimeter on the battery, does the voltage keep dropping like a stone? If it gets below ~11v right after being on charge then it's probably time for a new one.
'95 4NX with K&N filter, Motad Venom cans, YSS PD valves, Ohlins fork springs, 530 C+S, Green CDI, 11/16 radial master cylinder, +30mm jack up dog bones. Enjoyable money pit.

Bucko
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Bucko » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:15 pm

Thanks, I’ll try changing the battery first then.

dicky
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by dicky » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:20 am

It probably is the battery, but check it first before you change it, it may still be ok.
Also check that the wiring is good, check the earth connection to the chassis, under the battery box.
Check the connectors on the stator, rectifier, etc, if they look at all corroded it may be possible to pull them apart, clean them then spray with inox or similar one you have it back together. If the bike gets a bit of weather the dialectric grease packed into the connector body will help.
dicky
OOOSDC #5

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:24 am

+1 on the dialectic grease. Do it on most of my leads n plugs as a safe guard
laughter is the best medicine

Bucko
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Bucko » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:13 pm

Turned out the stator had been fitted the wrong way around such that the three AC wires were catching on the rotor and eventually worn through, surprised it lasted as long as it did, but glad I’ve found something obvious!

dicky
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by dicky » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:25 pm

Glad you found it, but it proves once again that electrical problems are usually caused by something else.
In motorsport it has been a long standing tradition to attribute a DNF to "electrical failure" when what actually happened was that the con rod broke, punched a hole through the block and smashed the alternator, thereby causing the electrical system to fail.
dicky
OOOSDC #5