carby pre heat circuit via cooling system

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

sykalwr4
TRX-Enthusiast

carby pre heat circuit via cooling system

Post by sykalwr4 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:17 am

Gday,
Just a quick question or two.
firstly ,has anyone had troubles with the part of the cooling system that runs through the carbies? Does this tend to corrode the carbs over time ?
As I live in a place where it is never cold enough to freeze the fluids would it be best to disconnect the hoses and block the spiggots? or does the small amount of bypass help the cooling system whilst the thermostat is closed .

Ive searched the forums and couldnt come up with much info on this subject .
All help appreciated :)

sykalwr4
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: carby pre heat circuit via cooling system

Post by sykalwr4 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:52 am

I think I just answered the questions myself.I decided to blow the tubes out with air while I had the radiator removed and it blew the hoses off the carby spiggots .The carb water tubes are blocked and 90 psi air wont move whats in there so I take it that it would be fine to eliminate this part of the circuit from the cooling system [-o<

alextrx850
Site Sponsor

Post by alextrx850 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:06 am

sykalwr4 wrote:I think I just answered the questions myself.I decided to blow the tubes out with air while I had the radiator removed and it blew the hoses off the carby spiggots .The carb water tubes are blocked and 90 psi air wont move whats in there so I take it that it would be fine to eliminate this part of the circuit from the cooling system [-o<
You are on the right track Sykalwr4,..having the tubes blocked wont have any effect to the cooling...the thought to have them was presumably one of caution by Yamaha to some feedback to problems of iceing in some of the big fours that were about those days.
I have sealed off my carb heater tubes for a while now and would suggest that as these bikes are getting older, the origional rubber tubeing might let go at high pressure RPM and coat the rear end with slippery coolant..as it did with me.. :oops:
Each to their own, but if its really not needed, simplefy ...or renew the tubeing.

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:50 pm

sykalwr4 wrote:Gday,
firstly ,has anyone had troubles with the part of the cooling system that runs through the carbies? Does this tend to corrode the carbs over time ?
As I live in a place where it is never cold enough to freeze the fluids would it be best to disconnect the hoses and block the spiggots? or does the small amount of bypass help the cooling system whilst the thermostat is closed .

For you folk in Aus, just junk the curcuit and block off the tubing. I junked mine in the UK and never had any problems with the stock carbs icing. :wink:
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

sykalwr4
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by sykalwr4 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:27 pm

8) After seeing the muck that came from the tubes Im only too happy to junk that system.Ive done a couple of really thorough flushes a month or so ago as the coolant was terrible when I bought the bike .Everything else came out clean this time so Its obvious that its been that way for some time .I cant even move it with a piece of electrical wire.
Im also under the opinion that the small tubes arent really a good idea now the bike is getting on .Its only done 52 000kms but it was the previous owners transport .not his toy.

I agree on all accounts ,black frames rule :wink:

Stu99
Site Sponsor

Post by Stu99 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:52 am

Mincehead wrote:
sykalwr4 wrote:Gday,

For you folk in Aus, just junk the curcuit and block off the tubing. I junked mine in the UK and never had any problems with the stock carbs icing. :wink:
Yep, followed Mince's advice a while back when I asked the same question. Just looped the warming circuit and never had a problem.
It must be true, I read it on the internet.

sykalwr4
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by sykalwr4 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:06 pm

8) Job done .I crimped the ends of the spiggots flat , silver soldered the tops and then used one tube to join both carby spiggots .Thats 2 less places I can leak coolant from in the future. =D>
Thanks again :) now its back to the R1 fork conversion .