R1 forks fit

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

bikey mikey
TRX-Enthusiast

R1 forks fit

Post by bikey mikey » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:19 pm

Hi all having problems pressing the stem out of my old lower trx yoke does anybody know if it is locked in or is it a shrink fit many thanks bikey mikey

alextrx850
Site Sponsor

Re: R1 forks fit

Post by alextrx850 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:55 pm

bikey mikey wrote:Hi all having problems pressing the stem out of my old lower trx yoke does anybody know if it is locked in or is it a shrink fit many thanks bikey mikey
:laughing6: :laughing6: Yes, mike..they really are a tight fit....the base of the stem where its embeded into the lower yolk has fine ribbing designed to stay put under pressure,..and it really does...the pressure gauge on the press when i removed mine went over ten tons before it went BANG ...and it does..
So theres no pin or anything, just the ribbing that bites into the alloy lower...good luck

Assuming youve read that the R1 lower has a slightly larger diameter than the trx stem...regards alex

cal
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by cal » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:41 pm

There is a steel ring in the assembly which I think locks it into place, also it must be pressed down (looking at it in the same orientation as it would be on the bike) if it is pressed up then the steerer tube and the lower yoke are ruined (Thanks George at the engineering shop, I would have prefered NOT to know that snippet of information, also apparently it takes about 30 tons of pressure to ruin the tube and yoke :shock: :? )
Cal

alextrx850
Site Sponsor

Post by alextrx850 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:55 am

cal wrote:There is a steel ring in the assembly which I think locks it into place, also it must be pressed down (looking at it in the same orientation as it would be on the bike) if it is pressed up then the steerer tube and the lower yoke are ruined (Thanks George at the engineering shop, I would have prefered NOT to know that snippet of information, also apparently it takes about 30 tons of pressure to ruin the tube and yoke :shock: :? )
Good point Cal...press the steering stem down through the lower yolk..the circlip is a stopper to the initial fitment...by Yamaha
George must have been ham fisted not to have a good look at the job before starting it

Kayla
Site Sponsor

Post by Kayla » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:56 am

It's a press fit in the yoke and it can take quite a bit of force to move it, sometimes up to 20 tonnes (yes, really!) The circlip is just a stopper to prevent the stem pushing through the yoke the wrong way. We've done a few of these (TRX/R1 conversions) recently, so if you need a hand give us a shout :D

Just because you're breathing, it doesn't mean you're alive.

bikey mikey
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by bikey mikey » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:05 pm

thanks to all for the advice will let you know how it goes once again many thanks

SDN
Site Sponsor

Post by SDN » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:30 am

If youdont want to use the old bottom yoke you can split it with a hacksaw stem comes out easy - how I did it

bikey mikey
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by bikey mikey » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:09 pm

i see in alextrx850's post that there is a differences in stem diameters i thought about using some shim rapped around the stem then press fit it in to the yoke is there a better way many thanks

sanddune51
Site Sponsor

Post by sanddune51 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:30 pm

I just knurled mine lightly. It was enough for it to be a good interferece fit when I pressed it into an R6 bottom yoke.

Mark

sykalwr4
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by sykalwr4 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:48 am

Hi TRX owners ,
Im new to this site and still working things out .
Im looking at a set of R1 2002 forks and clamps for my 98 TRX . I have recently fitted 2002 R1 calipers.I see in some posts people using the R6 lower triple clamp.
Does the R1 clamp fit, after changing the stem, or is a r 6 lower required?
Also can anyone tell me if the stock front wheel fits the conversion or is the r1 wheel also needed?
I have only had the TRX for a few months but love riding it.Unfortunately the forks are very poor and its between $320-$520 to upgrade them with heavier springs and racetech emulators so I figure the upsidedowns would be a better option at around $750 and a small amount of work.
All help and advise appreciated
Al

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:34 pm

`Search` is your friend, all been covered on here many times. :wink:
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:11 pm

then its a matter of respring and revalving the forks anyhow to suit the TRX also so add that onto of your conversion :wink:
laughter is the best medicine

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:31 pm

Here's a little info I found that touches on suspension set up and geometry.. Even utilising an R6 shock on the rear with a shorter stem length as you will read doesn't quite work right and would be greatly inproved by a revalve and linear spring to your weight....
http://www.promecha.com.au/leverage_linkages.htm
I've got a pair of forks rebuilt by these guys(springs and emulators) and they work so much better...
laughter is the best medicine

sykalwr4
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by sykalwr4 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:17 pm

Mincehead wrote:`Search` is your friend, all been covered on here many times. :wink:
:idea: Good plan Mincehead =D>
I did and I did.Sorting the site out bit by bit.Finding what I want to know .bit by bit . 8)

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:51 pm

This place is stacked with all kinds of stuff regarding modifying TRX`s, the search facility once mastered, makes it all quite easy to find. :wink:
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES