trackday tyres - uk

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

pjs2k04
TRX-Enthusiast

trackday tyres - uk

Post by pjs2k04 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:36 pm

Any recommendation for tyres? looking to do a few trackdays so whats the best tyre choice?
Any help appreciated- ta.

Corners R Us
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: trackday tyres - uk

Post by Corners R Us » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:19 pm

Planned to do a few trackdays on my TRX this year and with that in mind I have fitted a set of Maxxis Supermaxx Sports. Not yet been on track with them and probably unlikley to as my TRX will be up for sale in the next month or so as I'm moving on to an FZ1 soon for two up work. Thus far they've been a good buy at £170 fitted to loose wheels. They warm up nice and quick and are a confidence inspiring tyre that is predictable when pushing on a bit.

I have used Avon AV45/46 on track in the past and they were good. Been replaced by the Storm STs which I had on my TRX when I got it and I'd say these were more road biased.

HTH.

Corners

PS. Remember to drop tyres a few psi on track.

Kayla
Site Sponsor

Post by Kayla » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:52 am

I can also recommend Maxxis Supermax tyres on a TRX. I had them on my old bike and I've got them on my FZR4/6 now.

Just because you're breathing, it doesn't mean you're alive.

Silver
Site Sponsor

Post by Silver » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:15 am

If its mostly track day try super corsa pros, you can pick them up secondhand if you like. I did that for several pairs till i got fed up changing tyres. I got BT016 at the moment which are ok all round.
good mileage at over 4000 for the rear.
2010 Street triple R 675 Road bike
2018 BMW G310GS
1988 Honda XBR500(converting to GB500 spec)
SZR660 road and track project

phuk72
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by phuk72 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:55 am

pjs2k04 wrote:Any recommendation for tyres? looking to do a few trackdays so whats the best tyre choice?
Any help appreciated- ta.
Any sports road tyre will suffice and unless yo are really pushing wil be more than enough

My advice would be to be tyres for where you do the most riding not for an occassional jaunt on track. Full on race tyres (Super Corsa pros, tacetecs etc) may be good for the track but they are not the best for all weather use

phuk72
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by phuk72 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:58 am

Corners R Us wrote:PS. Remember to drop tyres a few psi on track.
Sorry mate but giving blanket advice like this is not necessarily a good idea.

For all you know he may be a complete novice and may not heat his tyres up any more on the track than he does on the road - hence dropping 2 psi out will potentially feck up the handling.

HolerTogni
Site Sponsor

Post by HolerTogni » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:58 pm

Hi pjs2k04!

What phuk said - and I recommend Michelin Pilot Power:
Fantastic for road and for track use as well in sunshine as in rain.

Used them three seasons on various tracks and they were brilliant. Not to forget with the same tire pressure as on the road (what Michelin recommends / recommended three years ago: front 2,2 bar and rear 2,5 bar).

Tried Michelin Power One - also very good tire but (to me) no improvement to the Pilot Power (and I'm by far not the slowest).

Been there done that greetings from Munich!
Nothing against four cylinders:
TRX 850 & Racetrack-TRiXie :twisted: 8)

Corners R Us
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Corners R Us » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:26 pm

phuk72 wrote:
Corners R Us wrote:PS. Remember to drop tyres a few psi on track.
Sorry mate but giving blanket advice like this is not necessarily a good idea.

For all you know he may be a complete novice and may not heat his tyres up any more on the track than he does on the road - hence dropping 2 psi out will potentially feck up the handling.
Fair comment. What I should perhaps have said was consider dropping a few psi out of the tyres after speaking to instructors/track day organiser. Particulalry on hot days this is a good way to go.....unless of course you are just bimbling around and generally enjoying yourself. Avoid taking advice from 'heroes' lurking in the garages.

Back into my trench....

Corners

drmac
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by drmac » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:47 pm

I try to stick with the same make pirelli or Metzelers, Rennsport are a good cheap trackday tyre £130 a set and work very well I have had 3 set in last couple of years. Im currently using a supercorsa Sc1 on the rear as found a bloke on ebay selling them off for £69 loads of tread left,not sure how well they would work in the wet or how long the rear will last but seem grippy enough on my sunday ride outs. On trackdays i normally run road pressures and check after two sessions I only drop down pressures if the tyre starts to chunk .