Oil change / Different brand

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

youngy

Re: Oil change / Different brand

Post by youngy » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:07 am

C* is the diesel engine spec.
S* is the petrol engine spec.

You have to be a bit careful with "SE or higher" as some of the much higher S* oils contain the friction modifiers and additives that you don't want.

Killerwhale
Site Sponsor

Post by Killerwhale » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:55 am

youngy wrote:C* is the diesel engine spec.

You have to be a bit careful with "SE or higher" as some of the much higher S* oils contain the friction modifiers and additives that you don't want.
Well, after a massive websearch i actually found that swedish "OK/Q8" had a recommendation website for almost every vehicle made...

Recommendation was a fully sythetic 15w-50, "API SL, ACEA A3, JASO MA"

Will try it tonight and if the rain stops i´ll let you know my findings...

Killerwhale
Site Sponsor

Post by Killerwhale » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:03 pm

Killerwhale wrote:

Well, after a massive websearch i actually found that swedish "OK/Q8" had a recommendation website for almost every vehicle made...

Recommendation was a fully sythetic 15w-50, "API SL, ACEA A3, JASO MA"

Will try it tonight and if the rain stops i´ll let you know my findings...
Godamn!
They charged 169SEK / Liter in the shop....
Found a place wich sold bulk (bring yer own container) for 56SEK
Now that´s a find!!

HansJ
Site Sponsor

Post by HansJ » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:24 pm

JASO MA specifies that no friction modifying additives have been added, so as long as the oil has JASO MA it should be fine. (But then it seems some combinations of oils/engines are more sensitive than others, standards and classifications don't tell the whole story...)
IQiokW
*** Stalwart of the Sight ***

youngy

Post by youngy » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:31 pm

M* is JASO motorcycle oil spec. MA is indeed what you want.

mrr1
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by mrr1 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:47 pm

Here in the UK I've been using Tesco car semi synth 15/40 for the last 1000 miles. I've noticed valve / tappet noise which (in my mind) in either bad choice of oil or, more likely, time for a clearance check - 28k on the clock.
I'm hearing people on this site say that diesel oils are good in the TRX but what oils would you recommend in the UK.

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:49 pm

Watch the car oils, they have friction reducers that CAN fook your clutch plates. :wink: Better to stick to a 10W 40 motorcycle semi synth, I use Halfrauds own brand myself.
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

mrr1
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by mrr1 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:32 am

cheers. What about the effect oil choice can have on tappet / valve noise?

There are two conflicting views on the car oil effect on clutch plate issue. Does anyone have first / secondhand experience of this where oil choice has clearly buggered a bike clutch?

Also whats the score with the diesel oil comments? Any UK based diesel oil users able to comment?

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:56 am

Valve noise? If you can hear clearance that`s a damn sight better than having a quiet top end I can assure you. I`ve had a bike that suffered from the car oil clutch plate problem and the internet is full of folk and posts that have suffered from it too, BUT.......................
Not all who have used it have had problems, it`s a lottery I choose not to play. ;)
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

mrr1
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by mrr1 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:02 pm

lol - I get your point.....I never looked at it that way.

I guess I'm just falling in love with the old girl and making myself paranoid - like meeting a beautiful woman and then fretting about previous boyfriends hanging around or the worrying bout the size of your willy (obviously not something that would ever affect me, oh no)

The valve clearances do need checking though - something I intend to do myself soon. Seems checking them is relatively easy - changing 'em appears to be a pig. My old Fazer clearances used to be fine and but an old Kwakker ER was all over the place.

Not sure how I'm going to play the oil choice thing.

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:39 pm

Don`t bother with all that willy worry, get out on the TRX and forget the wimmin, it`s cheaper and far less stressful.
I was out on Barking Donkey my old NTV today, feckin cold and I managed to find roads with ice on them that hadn`t thawed from last night!
Still better than any hump I`ve ever had, even with old oil in :lol: :wink:
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES