Rough Rider

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

twcomp
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: Rough Rider

Post by twcomp » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:18 am

cobbadiggabuddyblooo wrote:Just go to blue/ silver/ gold spots .
Give the discs a good clean and scrub the old pad material off them with some 400 grit wet n dry.
You won't corrupt your new pads with the old material plus you'll have an uneven build up due to the piston issue.
Clean the rotor buttons to by placing a bolt through the rotor buttons that hold the disc to the carrier and make sure they can spin. They can clog up with brake dust. Tighten the nut and bolt up and that will allow you to spin the button.
Semi floating discs like the std ones will move but can have a little resistance and look more like a rivet.
Fully floating should spin freely and have a c shaped Spring clip to retain the button in place plus the disc will move laterally on the button.( hence fully float ).
Clean the caliper and Pistons with brake fluid and a tooth brush as some other solvents/ cleaner will impact on the integrity of the piston/ calliper seals.
dicky wrote:Second Cobba suggestions.
It's not worth the trouble to try and 'fix' the standard front calipers, they were never good and never will be.
Any of the brakes from R6/R1 up until the change to radial calipers are a straight bolt on replacement.
Make sure to get the master cylinder as well, you need the 14mm bore to get the correct feel.
Thanks lads.

Are these the ones? Do they use the same pads? or do I ask for R6 pads?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/YAMAHA-R1-R6 ... u#viTabs_0

dicky
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by dicky » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:56 am

Yes, that's them.
They take different pads to the TRX but they are very common and not expensive.
If you can get to an actual wreckers you should be able to get the complete lever, master cylinder, lines and callipers for a good price, or keep looking on flea bay for the complete system.
You need the 14mm master cylinder, don't try to save a few bucks and use the 5/8th TRX one, it'll be shit.

d.
dicky
OOOSDC #5

cobbadiggabuddyblooo
Site Sponsor

Post by cobbadiggabuddyblooo » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:57 am

14mm Nissen axial Front master cylinder is a common size on a lot of motorcycles from Multiple bike manufacturers on dirt and road bikes.
If you look at your current M/c you will see a 5/8 stamped on it.( std TRX 5/8 Nissen )
Find 1 with a 14 stamped on it.
Some Other Nissen M/c may have a mirror mount that screws on on the attachment saddle that bolts around your handlebars but the std TRX one is interchangable as is the TRX front brake lever.
I have great feel and 2 finger braking with the 14mm with spot brakes/braided lines.
If you want to spend a little more invest in braided lines for continuity and eliminate any brake line expansion than forking money out for a radial master cylinder.
laughter is the best medicine

twcomp
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by twcomp » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:53 am

Ok. Here's dumb question number one...

I've sourced a pair of blue spots - what pads do I order for them (ie model bike / part number)? Any preferences? Mostly weekends and the odd trackday?

What year models were they off?

Sorry - 3 dumb questions.

dicky

Post by dicky » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:29 am

As the calipers are from an R1/R6, you will need the pads to suit an R1/R6.
There are many brands to choose from, and just as many compounds.
How hard are you on the brakes? Would you cook a set of organic pads in a day, or would a set of hard sintered pads last you til eternity?
Really hard sintered metal pads can be great for the track but can be equally shitty on the road as they never really get up to working temperature.
dicky
OOOSDC #5

trixynut
Site Sponsor

Post by trixynut » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:25 am

Yamaha fitted blue spots to many different bikes including the r1, r6 plus fazers etc.
Theres two different types, both take the same pads but they have a different brake hose attachment (different angle, same thread etc) so check which ones you've got before ordering braided lines. Both work on the TRX, no worries, just need to get the right lines if yo plan to upgrade them too, which I would.

Jak
Site Administrator

Post by Jak » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:11 pm

twcomp wrote:Ok. Here's dumb question number one...

Sorry - 3 dumb questions.
Nothing wrong with dumb questions, I should know - most questions I've asked over the years have been dumb :roll: :lol: :lol:
This forum is (and will remain) free of advertising
Please help keep it that way : click here for details of how to donate towards forum costs

twcomp
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by twcomp » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:41 am

trixynut wrote:Yamaha fitted blue spots to many different bikes including the r1, r6 plus fazers etc.
Theres two different types, both take the same pads but they have a different brake hose attachment (different angle, same thread etc) so check which ones you've got before ordering braided lines. Both work on the TRX, no worries, just need to get the right lines if yo plan to upgrade them too, which I would.
Sweet - thanks. Are there specific year models or are they the same for all year models?

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Mincehead » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:58 am

ALL will fit, they`re standard 100 mm hole centres at the mounting points. :wink:
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

twcomp
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by twcomp » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:40 pm

trixynut wrote:Yamaha fitted blue spots to many different bikes including the r1, r6 plus fazers etc.
So... how do I tell which calipers I have / which lines I require?

dicky

Post by dicky » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:14 am

Fitting R1 or R6 calipers (i.e. Blue Spots) is probably the simplest thing to upgrade on your bike. They just bolt straight on!
All R1/R6 calipers are the same up until the radial mount types.
They all take the same pads.
They all fit with STD TRX lines, but the caliper end banjo will be on a slight angle.
If you are not happy with this (I thinks it's OK) you can order custom lines (e.g HEL) and specify the angle at no extra cost.
If you have a complete R1 or R6 front end then you simply use those lines.
Don't forget to use the 14mm master cylinder to match the calipers. You need this.
dicky
OOOSDC #5

Racer-unk
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Racer-unk » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:10 am

Jumping on to the conversation.....does the 14mm Master cylinder upgrade also apply to the Brembo brakes, or is it only relevant to the Yamaha calipers?