Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

k0no
TRX-Enthusiast

effects of slight over-filling

Post by k0no » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:28 pm

hi guys.

short explanation coming up:

- changed the oil. took 4 litres.
- 200 miles later took an additional 0.6 litres. (bedding in? not sure)

- didn't need topping up for AGES. hundreds of miles.
- last week, saw the oil was a bit lower in the glass.
- today it was right at the bottom of the glass.

- topped it up in small amounts, running for a minute or two and checking after the oil had warmed.
- oil moved up the viewing glass in predictable increments, until about halfway up the glass.
- oil level shot up from halfway to pretty much filling the whole glass, after adding the last small amount.

my oil level is now looking to be just touching the top of the viewing glass, so it's completely filled. tilting the bike very slightly lowers the oil level to below the top, so it's not really full, just full.

was wondering if this would have any negative effects on the engine. can i expect to see some oil coming out of the exhaust if it's a bit over-full?

my knowledge of modern oil-systems on bikes is very basic.... i'm much more familiar with 1960s triumphs (where over-filling can sometimes result in the carbs being fouled). newer bikes bambouzle me a little in the DIY area.

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: effects of slight over-filling

Post by Mincehead » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:12 pm

I`m sure you`ll be fine at that :wink: , maybe if you had overfilled it say to the level of the oil return pipe union on the oil tank the bike might throw a little more oil mist out of the cam cover breather but just as likely it wouldn`t.
Of course, the TRX oil tank doesn`t actually have it`s own breather so Yamaha must have calculated the expected pressure that develops in the tank because of this and the air `gap` in this respect is quite important.
Having a dry sump motor the bike is less likely to use / burn extra oil capacity unlike a wet sumped bike, the oil pumps simply circulate and return the volum of oil in the tank.
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES