oil levels

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

kookimonsta
TRX-Enthusiast

oil levels

Post by kookimonsta » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:11 pm

did an oil change on the rex the other week, think for some reason there must of been oil still in the ways as ive put the correct amount of oil back in and its now above the level guage. im going to take some oil out but when i took it out on sunday for ago thrash it started smoking quite abit. (not plumes but you could see it was burning) could it be the rings that have gone or could it be that because the oil levels high its throwing it through the breather into the airbox and burning it in the combustion chamber. i only noticed the oil was high after i got home. and yes i did check it when i put the oil in and it was 3/4 up the glass which is confusing me abit. i know these dry sumps are abit of a pain to check.
Ride through the red mist, you will soon find the blue haze.

youngy

Re: oil levels

Post by youngy » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:21 pm

you did remove both oil drain plugs didn't you?

when you put in the 3.2 litres and no more as per the book, you then must go for a 10 -15 minute ride before checking the oil again. Give it 5 minutes to settle first though. Then top up with the other 0.3/0.4 litres.

kookimonsta
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by kookimonsta » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:42 pm

second drain plug? ha no. i took the plug out of the left hand side at the lowest point. i did take the oil filter cover off tho which i would of thought would of got rid of the rest. ive heard of tdm's getting air locks in the oil system whilst filling. could a lock of held oil in? surely not.

to check it i ran it till warm killed the engine and held the bike upright let the oil settle for a few seconds and check the level.

ive gotta change the oil pump cover so i'll replace the oil and filter again as im sure the old oil would of contaminated the new stuff. (as such)

youngy

Post by youngy » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:50 pm

The plug you removed drains the sump (of a dry sump engine).

There is an oil drain plug just to the rear of the filter cover. This drains the tank. Removing the filter cover doesn't do this because there's a non-return valve in there to stop the oil draining out of the tank, through the pump and filling the sump when the bike is stood.

Running til warm is no good. You need to give it some. You need to wait minutes, not seconds, before checking the level, otherwise you end up putting too much in.

kookimonsta
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by kookimonsta » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:58 pm

that'll be my problem then! i'll get it sorted.

do you think the excess oil could be my problem with the smoking? hope it is dont fancy pulling the engine apart this early in the year.

ive been offered a complete running engine for 100 knicker and im currently in the process of snapping his arm off.

youngy

Post by youngy » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:00 am

I'd say the excess oil is the cause of the smoke. Wouldn't want to run it like that for long.

kookimonsta
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by kookimonsta » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:11 am

cheers for the help, just had a read of the service manual and can see that oil drain bolt!

i'll go and stand in the corner with the dunce's hat on ha.

Jak
Site Administrator

Post by Jak » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:19 am

Just moved this to a more appropriate section
This forum is (and will remain) free of advertising
Please help keep it that way : click here for details of how to donate towards forum costs

Tarwetijger
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Tarwetijger » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:05 am

kookimonsta wrote:cheers for the help, just had a read of the service manual and can see that oil drain bolt!

i'll go and stand in the corner with the dunce's hat on ha.
No need to stand in the corner, kookimonsta. I've changed oil with a lot of bikes, but the TRX will be the first dry-sump-oil-change I get my hands on. So this is interesting stuff to read. I will read it again (and again) before I get started. :oops:

kookimonsta
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by kookimonsta » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:07 pm

All i'll say is stagger the oil at you fill it up. dont try and pour loads in a one time. i learnt this on my xt600.

cheesie
Site Sponsor

Post by cheesie » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:26 pm

yip this bike is a little confusing to me too, one day you look in sight glass it looks like there is no oil in it the next its filled to burstin