Diesel engine oil?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

davesta
TRX-Enthusiast

Diesel engine oil?

Post by davesta » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:30 am

Hey guys, was just reading this thread
http://www.netrider.net.au/forums/viewt ... 23&start=0
on another forum and was wondering if any of you had some thoughts? I'm pretty keen on giving it a shot, just wondering if any of you have specific thoughts re using it in a trx? Anyway an interesting read, what do you reckon?
******* Your ego is writing cheques your body can't cash *******

Kevtrx849

Post by Kevtrx849 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:49 am

Well worth a try. Ekoja uses it in his bike and swears by it. Same oil that he uses in his bus. I like to stay with the one brand so i won't be changing over. I believe that engines get conditioned to an oil and chopping and changing can upset the harmony. I use Penrite HPR15 with K&N oil filters and changed every 5-6000kms .
If everything seems under control
your just not going fast enough.
( HENRY FORD )

davesta
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by davesta » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:27 am

Yeah i think its well worth a try also, the only thing that concerns me is the higher levels of detergent leading to higher oil consumption by possibly removing any carbon deposits on the rings. That is if there is any carbon actually on them. At only 35,000 kays with a good service history probably not. I like the fact that the diesel oil (i would be using delo 400) contains extra lubricating agents specifically designed for the valve train and transmission.

ekoja
Site Sponsor

Post by ekoja » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:06 am

All that Kev said is so.
You might want to check out this site
The oil I use is P.M.412
If you look at page 3, Coach Operators, that is the company that I contract too, and those figures quoted between changes are still in play, the bus having done 1,290,000 ks with no major engine work.

DOBBO
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by DOBBO » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:14 am

Diesel oils contain more detergent in them than normal engine oils. This could lead to higher oil consumption in a already run in petrol engine. Could be false economy running a cheaper oil. Why dont you wait and see what happens to the other guys motor after a couple of oil chages that is if he posts it if it goes pear shaped.
always expect the unexpected

davesta
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by davesta » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:28 am

DOBBO wrote: Why dont you wait and see what happens to the other guys motor after a couple of oil chages that is if he posts it if it goes pear shaped.
Well the other guys vfr400 has now done almost 75,000 kays and he has been using diesel oil for almost a year now. Sounds pretty promising to me. I realise that on an engine with high kays going to a high detergent oil may not be a good idea, but my trx only has 35,000 (with a full service history) so should be pretty clean inside anyway

ferret
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: Diesel engine oil?

Post by ferret » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:09 am

I through the diesel oil in mine last change nearly 1000k's ago. All very rosy so far, it was previously running 10w40 Silkolene and had all sorts of rattles and clatters in it (noisy tappets, timing chain, etc, you all know the kind of symphony these things tend to make), and most annoyingly a gearbox that felt like a bag of spanners with 1st to 2nd making a hell of a clunk and the rest while acceptable, still not exactly slick. I bought 15w40 Nulon after a bit of hunting around, and surprise surprise all of the engine clatters went away, but what was even more surprising was that if I didn't know that only the oil had been changed, I'd swear someone had put a new gearbox in the thing while I wasn't looking, it really has made that much of a difference. :shock: Where before it required a fairly firm shove to find the next cog wich then engaged with enough of a clunk to let you know you'd found it, now it only requires a light tap up or down and is so smooth that it's hardly noticeable either with or without the clutch. Another plus is that it seems to have made what was a somewhat 'grabby' clutch much smoother and more progressive. :D
I will be very interested to see how it holds up throughout the life of the oil ans whether any of the old traits start to return as the oil goes off, but for now I really couldn't be happier.
Just for the record, it wasn't an economic decision for me. I'll happily pay for fully synthetic oils to run in our late model turbo cars and have done for many years now. There's enough testimonials from satisfied users around that I figured it would be well worth a shot, and after the results that I had with mine, one of the guys at work who recently bought a V-Strom 1000 and was complaining about a gearbox that felt like a bag of spanners and a snatching clutch (the bike's only done a log-booked 22000k's and was serviced less than 2000k's ago) swapped over to a 15w diesel oil and got the same nice smooth clutch and a slick shifting gearbox that I did, so I don't believe it to be a fluke now either.

Killerwhale
Site Sponsor

Post by Killerwhale » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:45 am

As you did some looking around, and i also use silkolene...did you find a brand that is easy to come by in Europe??

...perhaps Shell Rimula X 15w40??

....found a really cheap mineral one with these specs, what say you??
"API CI-4/SJ, ACEA E7/E5/E3/B3, MB 228.3, Volvo VDS 3, MAN 3275, Allison C-4."

Today i tried one from statoil and hey the gearbox felt much....easier and less clunky!
....although, bike smells like a big dump truck! :lol:

ferret
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by ferret » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:46 pm

I can't remember the exact specs of the Nulon oil, but I do know that it's SL rated. If I remember tomorrow I'll have a look and see exactly what the ratings are on the side of the bottle.

Triton

Post by Triton » Fri May 23, 2008 9:20 am

Interesting subject.

Now this may be an urban myth but bear with me. Apparently the Suzuki superbike team in Aus drain some of the new out of the docks Suzukis of their OEM oil and use it for racing. They buy cheap shitty oil and replace the oil they've pinched from the new bikes. Anyone know which oil Suzuki put in at the factory?

My guess is a mineral with few additives making the engines run well for bedding in, only to be chucked out at 1000 - 1500 km. Just like a race bike!

kenmore
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by kenmore » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:19 pm

Just swapped over to Nulon 15w-40 and did a trip to Byron Bay and returned with no problems.

The total distance travelled was 2,100 Klms.

Like other people on here I can report that the gearbox is smoother and Oil consumption is not an issue.

Engine mechanical noise is the same as before.(Not quieter like some have reported on other forums )

I previously used Motul and cost is not an issue.

I was simply curious as to how Diesel oil would go in my bike after reading so much about it.

I also kept a log of fuel, and got 17.43 KLM to the litre.

It seems that fuel economy has improved as well.

My bike had travelled 26,000 klms when I swapped over and now has 28,800 on it.

This brings me to the point of asking the question in relation to motor cycle specific oils, How come they cost so much and do so little compared to other oils out there, and has the motor cycle retail sector been brainwashing and ripping us off by using scare tactics that you will do damage to your engine if you do not use a bike specific oil ???

I would be curious to learn what the profit margin is on bike specific oils as opposed to less exotic brands.

Very interesting.

Just as an aside, many years ago in my youth I raced a Honda Cr125 Elsinore for 18 months nearly every weekend , and used only Automatic Transmission fluid in the crankcase.

When the engine was pulled down there was no need to do anything at all . Go figure that one out .

That is part of the reason that I was prepared to give Diesel oil a go.

Will keep you informed as I do more Klms, and am curious about other peoples experiences with Oils. :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol:
function=form

Killerwhale
Site Sponsor

Post by Killerwhale » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:35 pm

I tried it but man the bike stank like a dump truck! :shock:

ekoja
Site Sponsor

Post by ekoja » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:43 am

Ive done something like 40000 on diesel oil with no problems. The bike does not use oil and it just continues to be a good reliable bike.