Engine oil level

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

gsax
TRX-Enthusiast

Engine oil level

Post by gsax » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:21 pm

Can anybody tell me the correct way to check the level, engine running or off?
I changed oil 1500 miles ago and needed to top up with approx’ 500ml, sorry to sound a bit thick but where the bloody hell does it go (not smoking). Getting the right level is a nightmare, top up run the motor for a while levels good; go for a 10 min’ ride and it reads over the max’ level.
gsax

[JP]
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by [JP] » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:35 pm

Ho god.... you have the same problem as me.
I haven´t figured it out myself to be honest!
Image PORTUGUESE MADNESS

HolerTogni
Site Sponsor

Post by HolerTogni » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:31 pm

Hi gsax and [JP]!

For checking the oil level correctly, the engine has to be at operation temperature.
Best thing is you drive about 20 km and then check and eventually top up.

Then you'll have no problems with the right amount of oil.

(Checking / topping up at cold engine will lead to too much oil in it because some of the oil in the oil tank might have gone through the valve that should pevent this but sometimes doesn't - thus, the oil level in the level indicator seems to be low but it isn't!)

Top level greetings from Munich!
Nothing against four cylinders:
TRX 850 & Racetrack-TRiXie :twisted: 8)

gsax
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by gsax » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:25 am

Hi HolerTogni
Thanks for that but is it normal to be using oil, always thought using oil must mean its be being burnt off (smoking)
Just LOVE TRX time
gsax

HansJ
Site Sponsor

Post by HansJ » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:56 am

Holer's spot on, but forgot to mention; engine should be off. I let it rest a minute or two, but not longer, and try to keep that timing everytime I check the oil (and that's like a routine, I do it almost every time I stop the engine.

Oil-consumption, yep, very common, if it's a problem or just a reason not having top change the oil so often depends how one looks at it ;) Youi won't necessarily see a blue cloud, but let a mate drive behind You and ask him if it smelss.

Honing the cylinders and putting in new rings cure the problems for a while.
Valvestem seals could also be renewed for a relatively small amount of dough, at least if You have the valve clearances checked/re-shimmed.

The above cured my oil consumption last year.

Then there's a third cause, the seal on the outgoing shaft, very easy to replace once the front-sprocket is removed. It has been claimed that a faulty construction should be the cause, and that the new ones are better. I did this, and sure enough the consumption was reduced, but not that much. Easy job though, and easy to check, clean the engine underneath thouroughly. If You get a thin film of oil after riding, then that seal is leaking a fine oil-dust.
IQiokW
*** Stalwart of the Sight ***

burty
Site Sponsor

Post by burty » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:52 am

Get into the habit of checking the oil after you ride, just make sure you do it regularly.

500ml in 1500 miles is nothing. There are some that burn very little but there are plenty of us about that get through a fair bit.

Hans has described all the normal fixes well.

I've done all of those and mine still burns oil, more than yours. I was thinking along the lines of a full rebore, but as I now don't ride daily like I used to, I can live with it.

HolerTogni
Site Sponsor

Post by HolerTogni » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:36 am

HansJ wrote:Holer's spot on, but forgot to mention; engine should be off.
:oops: :roll:
Nothing against four cylinders:
TRX 850 & Racetrack-TRiXie :twisted: 8)

gsax
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by gsax » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:09 pm

Thanks for the help, I have no leaks and can't smell any burning oil; only ride 1 or 2 times a week but am going to Chimay in July for the IHRO and was a bit worried. Oh well looks like I'll have to be a bit anal about it and keep checking.
gsax

boyso20
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by boyso20 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:47 pm

i'm due for a top up but was wondering what is the recommended oil?
mine has done 50000miles so maybe something thicker?