Oil Leak

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

randy
TRX-Enthusiast

Oil Leak

Post by randy » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:06 am

I've recently noticed that I have an oil leak.

I saw some oil track just above the oil filter cover, and thought that was it.
Over the weekend I removed the cover, checked the seals, all ok.

Put it back on and ran the bike for 5 minutes to make sure the leak had stopped. There was no further leak from that point.

But after riding to work this morning I see the leak is still there, but coming from much higher up.
I changed the oil on the weekend as well, so now the leak will be much harder to spot. Should have left the old stuff in :-(
It looks like it may be coming from a hole above the clutch cover. What is this hole?
Then again, it may be coming from higher up again?
I considering washing the bike, and using degreaser on the engine. I think this would make it easier to spot. Is this a correct assumption?

CHeers.

Wombat
Forum Marsupial

Post by Wombat » Sat May 05, 2007 11:58 am

Funny, I've got the same thing. Had 15W50 in the bike, and as it was getting colder over here, I decided to do a seasonal oil change (no filter change - change the oil filter every 2nd change) and put in 10W40.

Seems every time I do an oil change I get a bit of an oil weep from that filter bolt. Don't own a torque wrench. But this time it seems to be weeping from the mating surfaces of the oil filter casing and the rest of the block. Last service was done at a dealers and there was no leak. I have noticed that there is a ragged bit of O-ring (or gasket goo) protruding from between the surfaces of the casing and the block. All I can assume is that by undoing the bolt to drain the oil, it has relieved a bit of the tension between the surfaces and if the oil seal or whatever is damaged, it has let a little bit of oil through.

Not too worried but, bike is going in , in 4 days to get the jet kit put in, and a new front tyre, so I'll get them to have a look at it and if need be replace it.

Birthday's at the end of the month, so I think I'll be buying a Warren and Brown deflecting beam torque wrench :D

Bob
"The fire is almost out......and there's nothing left to burn!"

Wombat
Forum Marsupial

Post by Wombat » Sun May 06, 2007 11:35 am

From further inspection it looks like it might be coming from the sump gasket. God..... I hate undoing sumps to fix gaskets. I did one once on a 650 Katana when I had to fix a sump plug helicoil. On my old Guzzi, the oil filter used to live inside the sump (Now that's a good design feature NOT) and it was such a pain in the arse to change that it wasn't changed all that often. I'll see what the shop says, at the end of the week and maybe get them to replace it as I'm a lazy sod, when it comes to things mechanical :lol:

Bob

randy
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by randy » Mon May 07, 2007 2:02 am

I'm 99% sure mine is coming from what I think is the pressure bypass valve.
The manual only has a single picture of it an its only a line drawing to illustrat e the oil flow.
Does anyone know what this means?
Or should I just take it to a mechanic..

Wombat
Forum Marsupial

Post by Wombat » Mon May 07, 2007 8:09 am

What's the metric size thread and length of that oil filter drain bolt and is it full thread or partial thread? I can't remember and can't find it in any of the manuals and I don't want to have to do an oil change to find out.

Bob

randy
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by randy » Mon May 07, 2007 11:18 pm

The oil drain bolt or the oil filter cover bolts?

They are all different sizes.