10w60 fully synthetic - okay to use?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Snod Blatter
TRX-Enthusiast

10w60 fully synthetic - okay to use?

Post by Snod Blatter » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:15 pm

Hi guys, I'm looking to take my TRX to Germany yet again and am looking for a way to try and curb the oil consumption (last year she drank 3L in 2K miles, that'll teach me to fill her with super cheap stuff!). I'm thinking about getting some Motul 7100 10w60 as it'll stay a bit (or a lot) thicker but after a quick google I can't find if anyone has used this in a TRX or a TDM. There are stories on here of fully synthetic oil causing clutch slip, has anyone experienced this? Mine's done 41K and as far as I know the clutch hasn't been touched so if this is really a thing then I'll probably have to use different oil or make the clutch a bit stronger, kevlar plates might be the answer..

Also, with such thick oil is there any chance of stripping the silly plastic cogs on the oil pumps? Or even a chance of oil starvation if it doesn't flow as easily?

Cheers :hail:
'95 4NX with K&N filter, Motad Venom cans, YSS PD valves, Ohlins fork springs, 530 C+S, Green CDI, 11/16 radial master cylinder, +30mm jack up dog bones. Enjoyable money pit.

jpe70
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: 10w60 fully synthetic - okay to use?

Post by jpe70 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:16 pm

The oil viscosity or the price has very little to do with the bike using oil under normal use. Possibly if you ride in very warm climate with non syntethic oil of very wrong viscosity. Change valve seals and piston rings.

There's no point going 60, you will just risk decreasing flow since the engine runs on the cool side. Use cheap but good motorcycle oil of recommended or close viscosity. Fully syntethic oil does not cause clutch slipping, if there's a story about it there is usually something more behind the slippage. And nobody would sell it.... :roll:

My clutch has done 71000 km and I recently had no problem what so ever during 3 days on the Brno track with unusually warm weather. I'm using Q8 SBK Racing 10w50 as I have done in my last 5 or so road and racing bikes.TRX used 0,6 liter oil during those days mostly on full throttle. I had expected more. :lol:

Snod Blatter
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Snod Blatter » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:39 pm

jpe70 wrote:The oil viscosity or the price has very little to do with the bike using oil under normal use. Possibly if you ride in very warm climate with non syntethic oil of very wrong viscosity. Change valve seals and piston rings.
Sorry man, but my experience suggests it has everything to do with viscosity - it drinks more in warm weather, it drinks a lot more if ridden on the motorway all day and consumption increases the more worn/thinner the oil gets. Last time I filled it with super cheap and thin 10w40 and it drinks it like there's no tomorrow, previously I used Motul 5000 which it didn't touch for the first 500 miles and then consumption got worse and worse until it was guzzling it at 2000 miles.

Also if you look in this sub forum you'll find several threads about clutch slip with fully synthetic oil, though none mention Motul oil. If it slips when cold but is okay when warm then I can live with that.
'95 4NX with K&N filter, Motad Venom cans, YSS PD valves, Ohlins fork springs, 530 C+S, Green CDI, 11/16 radial master cylinder, +30mm jack up dog bones. Enjoyable money pit.

jpe70
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by jpe70 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:35 pm

You do as seems best for you. :)