Rain tyre help?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

rct
TRX-Enthusiast

Rain tyre help?

Post by rct » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:10 pm

Ok i need a good sugestion for rain tyres please, i would like the best grip in the wet available if poss.
Many thanks
RCT

Stu99
Site Sponsor

Re: Rain tyre help?

Post by Stu99 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:16 pm

I assume we are talking road usage.

I use Michelin Pilot Road 2 which are good in the rain but from what I have heard the new Pilot Road 3 is just sensational in the wet.
Have also used Dunlop Roadsmart, also very good in the wet.
It must be true, I read it on the internet.

Yoozy
Site Sponsor

Post by Yoozy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:54 pm

Got Pirelli Angel ST on the Tuono, fantastic in both wet and dry, you can get em reet over annall. And they last.
A GUT FULL OF ALE AND A HEAD FULL OF MAGIC

www.tuonoworld.com

johnktm
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by johnktm » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:56 pm

Pilot road 3's are very good in cooler temperatures and wet weather,I would say they are pretty good but not fantastic in drier warmer conditions,wear rate is fantastic,I got 6000 miles out of a rear on a KTM RC8,and those things aren't gentle on tyres,though they did wear noticeably quicker when we got a dry warm spell,and I don't think it was just because I was riding harder in the warm weather,it was 95% commuting, grip and feel did fade off a touch after 5000 but there was still plenty of tread left.I'd rate them as a fantastic winter tyre,but less so in the few short summer months we have in the UK.

johnktm
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by johnktm » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:00 am

Stu99 wrote:I assume we are talking road usage.

I use Michelin Pilot Road 2 which are good in the rain but from what I have heard the new Pilot Road 3 is just sensational in the wet.

I'm going to give Sportsmarts a try,I've heard very good things about them from a few people who's opinion I trust.

Snod Blatter
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Snod Blatter » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:06 am

I currently have 6K miles on my pair of PR3s and they look good for another 3-4K. Wet weather is pretty damn good but I don't think they're all that great in the cold - I think Michelin recommend you don't use them if it's below 3C or something like. Certainly they start to feel much more vague in the cold. I don't have any other fancy 17 inchers to compare them to though, I'm more an 18" kind of guy..
'95 4NX with K&N filter, Motad Venom cans, YSS PD valves, Ohlins fork springs, 530 C+S, Green CDI, 11/16 radial master cylinder, +30mm jack up dog bones. Enjoyable money pit.

davamb
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by davamb » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:42 am

PR3s are getting my thumbs up. Doesn't get much below zero in Aus though...
Ride Well!
Cheers, Dave.

ekoja
Site Sponsor

Post by ekoja » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:17 am

Yoozy wrote:Got Pirelli Angel ST on the Tuono, fantastic in both wet and dry, you can get em reet over annall. And they last.
I agree, I have got the latest Pirelli Angel GTs which are really long lasting and allegedly excellent in the wet ( we have had 5 5ths of f......all rain here lately so haven't had the opportunity to find out.
However don't take up the offer for the stickers that you can put on the sides of the tyres, as they are cool... but bloody expensive (60 euros for 9 stickers.)

Stu99
Site Sponsor

Post by Stu99 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:19 pm

johnktm wrote:
Stu99 wrote:I assume we are talking road usage.

I'm going to give Sportsmarts a try,I've heard very good things about them from a few people who's opinion I trust.
I had Sportsmarts on my 'Busa, great tyre for mixed useage. Was very happy with them.
Currently have Pilot Road 2 on the 'Busa as well as the TRX. Have done plenty of warm dry riding on the PR2's and can't fault 'em. I can assure you the 'Busa ain't easy on 'em either :D :D They also perform great in the wet.

I reckon the Sportsmart are a tad better in the wet though, just by a nose.

As with most tyres, a lot of it comes down to riding style, correct suspension set up and appropriate tyre pressure for the riding conditions. 2 psi can really change the way a tyre feels.

With so much good rubber to choose from these days it is worth remembering that most people will find their own limits before they truly find the limit of the tyre, even if they think otherwise. :shock:
It must be true, I read it on the internet.

Yoozy
Site Sponsor

Post by Yoozy » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:14 pm

ekoja wrote:
Yoozy wrote:Got Pirelli Angel ST on the Tuono, fantastic in both wet and dry, you can get em reet over annall. And they last.
I agree, I have got the latest Pirelli Angel GTs which are really long lasting and allegedly excellent in the wet ( we have had 5 5ths of f......all rain here lately so haven't had the opportunity to find out.
However don't take up the offer for the stickers that you can put on the sides of the tyres, as they are cool... but bloody expensive (60 euros for 9 stickers.)

Must of been my lucky day, the stickers were free :lol: They're remarkably sticky for a tyre with so much tread. I was getting 1300- 1500 miles out of the Supercorsas, and it was pissing me off, what 3 rears and a front every summer. I got 5 thou out of the last St rear and the front is still as new. Did 1500 miles in torrential rain last year in Germany and they were ace, same again a few weeks ago in Scotland, can't fault them. Most of the Tuono boys are fitting them, and a couple of the chaps with Ducs have just put them on and love them. Just got another pair off a mate for 100 quid. He put them on, did 200 miles and took them off :shock:
A GUT FULL OF ALE AND A HEAD FULL OF MAGIC

www.tuonoworld.com

rct
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by rct » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:04 am

Many thanks peeps the pilot 3 seems to be winning so i will have a good look at them.
RCT