Dunlop recommendations rear tyre

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Killerwhale
Site Sponsor

Dunlop recommendations rear tyre

Post by Killerwhale » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:27 am

I saw on Dunlop´s website that they recommend 170/60 on the rear for the TRX (this is the qualifier´s wich i´m really satified with) and i´m thinking of getting those next time around.

Got a standard TRX hugger from Pyramid though and those of you who got ´em know that it´s quite a tight fit...is it just to chuck it on ebay or what you think?

Anyone in here who tried 170 tyres?
(to lazy to buy and fit a YZF rear....) :oops:

phuk72
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by phuk72 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:10 am

I've tried a 170 section - didn't notice any difference so bought a 160 (and have stuck with that ever since)

Should be OK with the hugger

Max
Janitor

Re: Dunlop recommendations rear tyre

Post by Max » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:06 pm

Killerwhale wrote: (to lazy to buy and fit a YZF rear....) :oops:
Just fit the wheel... Who needs that extra swingarm stuff anyhow? Well, 'cept Honky. He thinks the YZF job isn't tough enough for his steel pipes so he had to weld it into one big hunk. :wink:

The nice thing about having a 5.5... You actually have a choice of the current tires. Not picking out of the old batches or something off a 250.
Max

(TaZ, tz250w)

Killerwhale
Site Sponsor

Post by Killerwhale » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:59 pm

Max wrote:
Just fit the wheel... Who needs that extra swingarm stuff anyhow? Well, 'cept Honky. He thinks the YZF job isn't tough enough for his steel pipes so he had to weld it into one big hunk. :wink:

The nice thing about having a 5.5... You actually have a choice of the current tires. Not picking out of the old batches or something off a 250.
I guess i´m even too lazy to do your mod with changing distances etc etc...!? Well see, as of now i´m good with the 160 qualifier!

....did you get my PM?? ....i saw that there have been some problems so i thought i ask!

Killerwhale
Site Sponsor

Post by Killerwhale » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:16 pm

Max wrote:

Checked around a bit....
If you go dymag´s they would give ya 3.50 front and 6.00 back....one should get a 190 on that rim heh??
Tourqe-a-holic

Max
Janitor

Post by Max » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:43 am

I wouldn't. You'd be robbing yourself of a few HP trying to look cool. Not only that, but it would handle like a pig in traffic. My point about the 5.50 is you can select from the 180 section tires of which there are many as the 600s run them.

I don't really think the latest sticky 160s are designed with the torque and weight of a TRX in mind, but that's just a guess.
Max

(TaZ, tz250w)

Killerwhale
Site Sponsor

Post by Killerwhale » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:48 am

Max wrote:I wouldn't. You'd be robbing yourself of a few HP trying to look cool. Not only that, but it would handle like a pig in traffic. My point about the 5.50 is you can select from the 180 section tires of which there are many as the 600s run them.

I don't really think the latest sticky 160s are designed with the torque and weight of a TRX in mind, but that's just a guess.
...5.50 is the width of the smaller dymag´s.
Anyway, the wheels just weighs 1,2Kg without the hub so i think you´ll benefit quite a bit there.
I might mention that they are carbonwheels.... 8)
Tourqe-a-holic

phuk72
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by phuk72 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:09 am

You'll be surprised! The popular UK mini twin race series runs SV650s and ER6s, both of which run 160 rear section tyres, and so there is a fairly decent market for sticky 160 tyres.

Also a lot of the supermotos use 160s as well. Apart from the Diablo Corsa (which I don't think comes in a 160) pretty much every other tyre is available in the UK as a 160.

Lada.s

Post by Lada.s » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:48 pm

I put 170 mm tyre Dunlop D206 oh my TRX, but I crashed next day so I have no experience yet :x :lol: