Tyres....

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

burty
Site Sponsor

Post by burty » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:00 pm

phuk72 wrote:
No-one mentions Bridgestones (BT012,014,010)??
Don't know about the newer versions but I never got on with Bridgestones. I found 010s were shit in the cold and the wet and only half decent on the track and 020s downright scary (especially when they had worn down a bit)
I crashed at least twice on 010s and both times I would like to think the cold weather performance of the tyre was at least partially to blame.

I used to love 020s until I tried Mezeler's equivalent, and they were streets ahead in every respect. I agree with Phuks view of the 020's once worn. Most people don't care but below about 3 degrees ambient I found 020s really scary too.

I gather that Bridgestone put in a lot of effort to ensure that they get the OE contracts for many Japanese bikes.

HolerTogni
Site Sponsor

Post by HolerTogni » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:08 pm

Hi trixynut!
trixynut wrote:No-one mentions Bridgestones (BT012,014,010)??
So it's my turn now:
After two and a half sets of Bridgestone BT020 (120/70 and 170/60) I can say that they are good for fast street riding. The last (and only the last of three) rear tire was a little slippery now and then when worn.

Now changed to Michelin Pilot Power (stock dimensions) and could not see very much difference yet.
I hope to get advantage of the PPs on track next year!
Nothing against four cylinders:
TRX 850 & Racetrack-TRiXie :twisted: 8)

pinball wizard

Post by pinball wizard » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:46 am

I crashed on 020's aswell (cold winter riding) when the front failed to grip - may have been my riding to blame a bit too :oops: barrelling into a greasy corner less than 5mins into the run (they do need a little time to get heat into them). That was on the Buell and after that i found them ok (as long as you give them time to warm up. Also found them ok in the wet.
Had pirelli diablos on the TRX when i picked it up and they were good but i wanted something better for commuting through the winter and for the bits of motorway hack to work and back. Opted for pilot road on the rear and pilot power on the front. the pilot road hasn't impressed me a great deal in the cold/wet. it seems to take even longer than the 020's did to warm and spins up with the least bit of encouragement until it is.
has anyone had any experience with Avon tyres? they are uk made and so should be suited to the lousy weather we get here.

Kirk
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by Kirk » Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:33 pm

I've found the same thing with the Bridgie's. Front 014, rear 020, I haven't been able to push them to any kind of a limit which tells me they do have good grip, but when cold the front is very slippery, had at least 4 or 5 'moments' in the first few corners of a blast.

nukes
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by nukes » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:13 am

currently running continental road attack's and they seem to be wearing really well, stick like shit to a blanket and get good heat in them very quickly which is the ducks nuts for those "we've run out of milk, i'll just pop to the shop" moments.
KEEP THE WIND IN YOUR FACE

Dee

Post by Dee » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:22 pm

pinball wizard wrote:Had pirelli diablos on the TRX when i picked it up and they were good but i wanted something better for commuting through the winter and for the bits of motorway hack to work and back. Opted for pilot road on the rear and pilot power on the front. the pilot road hasn't impressed me a great deal in the cold/wet. it seems to take even longer than the 020's did to warm and spins up with the least bit of encouragement until it is.
When I lived in the UK, my commute involved slow round town riding, fast A-roads and motorways. I used the Pirellis for that, and never ever had problems. Approaching 4000 miles on the rear tyre, and it's got plenty of life in yet. The front is just needing changing (worn on the shoulders) at about 7000 miles. I haven't had any experience of Avons, but would still recommend the Pirellis.

pinball wizard

Post by pinball wizard » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:07 am

Dee wrote: I haven't had any experience of Avons, but would still recommend the Pirellis.
yes, certainly does seem the way to go... :-k

phuk72
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by phuk72 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:34 am

I'm still not sure about Avons - when I bought the set I've got on at the moment (I got 2 pairs for very good money) none of my mates had anything good to say about Avons (in fact I have never heard anyone say anything good about the wet weather performance).

I put them on in the Summer and did loads of fast road miles and a Brands hatch track day - they were great on hot dry roads and very predictable on track and I thought I may have found a replacment for my favourite Metzler Racetecs / Rennsports. Got coming on 2500 miles out of the rear and put the next set on at the end of September.

Then it got cold and wet - I too assumed that, due to the fact that Avon are British, these would be good in the cold and wet. My arse are they - me no likee!

They were great at Donnington yesterday when they were fully warm but I could feel the back end moving in the first couple of laps.

I don't think I'll be getting another pair (even as cheap as these were) as I need my tyres to at least cope with all sorts of conditions and good for dry track days ain't enough.

Max
Janitor

Post by Max » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:02 pm

I thought Avon was that old bag that rang the doorbell selling cosmetics as we sat down to dinner when I was a kid... :?
Max

(TaZ, tz250w)

trixynut
Site Sponsor

Post by trixynut » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:15 pm

OK, so I'm probably going to get some Pirelli Diablo Corsas but.... can't seem to find anyone selling a 160/60-17 rear in the corsa? :?:

This site is good for UK tyre pair deals, BTW...

http://www.tyresonline.net/shop2.asp?catID=25

Dave.

Killerwhale
Site Sponsor

Post by Killerwhale » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:56 pm

trixynut wrote:OK, so I'm probably going to get some Pirelli Diablo Corsas but.... can't seem to find anyone selling a 160/60-17 rear in the corsa? :?:

This site is good for UK tyre pair deals, BTW...

http://www.tyresonline.net/shop2.asp?catID=25

Dave.
I got a sweat deal on a pair of qualifiers here:

"German tyre site"

Max
Janitor

Post by Max » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:03 pm

Killerwhale wrote:I got a sweat deal on a pair of qualifiers here:

"German tyre site"

I think they should last a bit... :shock:
Max

(TaZ, tz250w)

brinx
TRX-Enthusiast

pirellis

Post by brinx » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:11 pm

i to crashed on Bridgestones a BT 012 ss it was well worn though.on the front that is.running a BT 014 on the back at the mo.No probs so far have a pirelli back on the front now & when the back wears out will go back to Pirelli.They don,t last long 4000 ks but they seem to stick ok.

phuk72
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by phuk72 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:29 pm

Can you get the Corsas in 160? If not, why not go for Supercorsa Pro Streets?

Try http://www.FWR.co.uk - they have been consistently the cheapest when I have looked for tyres

or

http://www.bfmmotorcycles.co.uk/catalog ... X_PMBf9Ho6

Dee

Post by Dee » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:55 pm

phuk72 wrote:Can you get the Corsas in 160? If not, why not go for Supercorsa Pro Streets?

Try http://www.FWR.co.uk - they have been consistently the cheapest when I have looked for tyres

or

http://www.bfmmotorcycles.co.uk/catalog ... X_PMBf9Ho6
I'm not entirely sure you can get the Corsas in 160, I've only seen wider tyres available in this brand.