tyre removale

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

frankyboy
Site Sponsor

tyre removale

Post by frankyboy » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:34 pm

Has anyone got any tips on changing tyres!!! or is it not worth the hassle as they might need balanced...... or would they!!

Mincehead
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: tyre removale

Post by Mincehead » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:38 pm

Can be done, I sometimes fit them myself but breaking the `bead` of an old tyre is sometimes a MF!
And yes, balancing a front is desirable. :wink:
Last edited by Mincehead on Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

trixynut
Site Sponsor

Post by trixynut » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:54 pm

Yep, my tip is dont do it.

You'll spend more on the tyre leavers and kit that you'll spend on getting 4 tyres done.

Plus they WILL need to be balanced....

frankyboy
Site Sponsor

Post by frankyboy » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:39 pm

Thanks..... i thought as much, i know someone who has a car tyre changer, would i have to remove the disc's !!! as i am not sure if there is a differance between car and cycle wheel changers.

wesleyjohn
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by wesleyjohn » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:16 am

no they are the same machine, you can do your own, but if your a road rider its not worth doing as long as its not expensive where you live, its a £5 a loose wheel where i go. if your doing lots of track days, where you may be changing a least a wheel if not 2, then it would be worth getting yourself set up to do it

Silver
Site Sponsor

Post by Silver » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:43 am

I did mine for a while until i realised the local bike shop did a fit and balance for about £6. You are better off having a spare wheel for sticky tyre if you are having one for track days.
Its a real bugger breaking the bead and there is always risk of damaging the rim.
New rear tyres can be persuaded on without levers as long as the tyre is warm and you use plenty of soap.
then of course you need a compressor to get the tyre back on to the bead. Makes a bit of a pop (can scare the pants off the unwary).
Have fun.
Dave
2010 Street triple R 675 Road bike
2018 BMW G310GS
1988 Honda XBR500(converting to GB500 spec)
SZR660 road and track project

phuk72
Site Sponsor / Administrator

Post by phuk72 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:56 am

You can do it at home but ....

First problem - breaking the bead. A big vice , side stand of another bike on bead etc are tried and tested :wink:

You'll then need tyre levers to get to get the buggers on and off or access to a tyre removal machine (FWIW it can be done on car machines but you risk knackering the rim)

Then you WILL need a compressor / air supply to seat the bead. I can recommend using garage air lines for this :wink:

Balancing rear wheels is a waste of time - front more of an issue. All you need for this is some weights and a long bar.

I have 3 bikes and do at least 2 tyre changes a year and I'm not convinced it is worth buying your own kit. Even if I broke even on the parts, the risk of knackering my rims doesn't compute.

So I pay someone.

frankyboy
Site Sponsor

Post by frankyboy » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:06 pm

Thanks guys..... think i'll stick with the shop option then, the rims are really good nic, and would not want to damage them.