another tyre question- sorry. Conti Road Attacks, anyone?

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

Kayla
Site Sponsor

another tyre question- sorry. Conti Road Attacks, anyone?

Post by Kayla » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:52 pm

I think I'm in need of new tyres. I just can't get any feel from the front end of my bike. I set the suspension to standard and tweaked it from there (a little firmer with 25mm of fork showing above the clip-on) and it does feel a little better but nowhere near as front-endy as I'm used to. The tyres that are on it are BT010 front and a 020 on the back, running 36/42 as per Bridgestone's reccomendation. I know it's not good practice to mix and match but the tyres were on it when I bought the bike. So, new tyres please. I'm considering Continental Road Attacks as I do a lot of dull miles in a straight line and need a tyre that'll last ok, but I'd also like something that'll be up to the occasional thrash-ette.

Has anyone got any experience of these tyres, or the Sport Attacks? I'd be looking to fit 120/70 and 160/60 sizes.

Just because you're breathing, it doesn't mean you're alive.

lars
TRX-Enthusiast

Re: another tyre question- sorry. Conti Road Attacks, anyone?

Post by lars » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:27 pm

i have roads attacks on my bike (for 2 months now), 120/60, 160/60.

I found them very nice, rear tyre from edge to edge with not to much effort, still working on the front tyre :evil:

I don't drive dull miles, only fun miles. and the trx is my first bike i have it for about 3 months so i can't tell you much about the difference compared to other tyres/bikes.

steve speed
Site Sponsor

Post by steve speed » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:02 pm

your going to get as many answers as there are tyres on the market ,,, i like diablos but i dont do dull miles ,,,i go in my van for that :lol: :lol: :lol:
TRX850 ,The thinking mans R1

Kayla
Site Sponsor

Post by Kayla » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:25 pm

steve speed wrote:your going to get as many answers as there are tyres on the market ,,, i like diablos but i dont do dull miles ,,,i go in my van for that :lol: :lol: :lol:
I know, I was trying to avoid the whole 'try Bridgestone's new Snotmax Qualifier RR-X, it's brill for 100 yards then squares off like a Rubik's Cube' thing!

All the bikes I've had in the past, for any length of time anyway, have all been on BT090s (which are brilliant) as they've all been small-mid capacity bikes. My FZR400 had Pirelli Dragon Evos which were ok mind. Pity you're not supposed to put 090s on a TRX...

So, Road (or Sport) Attacks? My daily grind consists of 66 miles (round trip) of A19 and A1 :( Ha ha, I need a CG125 or some spare wheels...

devlin
Site Sponsor

Post by devlin » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:47 pm

Kayla wrote:Pity you're not supposed to put 090s on a TRX...
Why? Just curious...... :)
"Racing is life, everything else is just waiting" - Steve McQueen
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Kayla
Site Sponsor

Post by Kayla » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:52 am

devlin wrote:
Because they're designed for bikes 40-50kg lighter than the TRX, and Bridgestone don't list them as a recommended fitment. Hmm, maybe I need to get the TRX on a diet...

lars
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by lars » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:39 am

Kayla wrote:
steve speed wrote:
So, Road (or Sport) Attacks? My daily grind consists of 66 miles (round trip) of A19 and A1 :( Ha ha, I need a CG125 or some spare wheels...
Conti NL said to me the sport attack haves softer compound compared to the road attack. So if you are looking for more miles on your tires go for the road attacks.

idl1975
TRX-Enthusiast

Post by idl1975 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:48 am

Hi Kayla

I'm sure you've seen the Bike magazine tyre tests the last 6 months or so where they've included the road attack. I have one on the back of mine, because it was very cheap off e-bay and I commute on the TRX when it's sunny (KTM for rainy days...). I got a 170/60, which improves the steering.

It has done a couple Rockingham trackdays (too lazy to change to the spare wheel with the Hi-Sport Race 2 on...) where it had no problem outrunning most of the pack, with nary a wiggle or slide, and no cold tearing or liquefying itself (see avatar pic -----> ;) ). As you may have read, they have a very deep tread, so are good for commuting and wet weather. That said, based on the reviews I've seen, I don't know if I'd buy one for the front due to apparent effects on steering. Plus, IMHO, as someone who's owned a TRX for 11 years now, I find a good front goes a long way to make up for the relative crapness of the forks. Plus, obviously front tyres are much cheaper and last longer than rears.

If I were you, I wouldn't have any hesitation about fitting Road Attacks IF they were cheaper than a set of Metzeler Roadtec Z6s (Mine was about £30 as a part worn with about 100 miles on it). I have been using my rear road attack with a Metzeler Sportec front with no handling problems at all, so I suspect any recent Metzeler or Pirelli front boot should also match it, if you just wanted to go the rear tyre route.

I know where you're coming from on the BT090s - had an 010 on the back of my KTM Duke, and it really didn't work. The tyre would cold-tear and get very vague round roundabouts just commuting, so I suspect it was made for the weight of 200kg-ish hypersports bikes and sport tourers. Put a bog standard Pilot Sport on and it's much happier.
Kayla wrote:
devlin wrote:
Because they're designed for bikes 40-50kg lighter than the TRX, and Bridgestone don't list them as a recommended fitment. Hmm, maybe I need to get the TRX on a diet...
-----

'04 Aprilia Tuono Fighter
'00 Scooby Sport Wagon

'76 TY250.